User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
Todd34 OP
Toubab

Oddometer: 821
Aluminum rear tank for the 990?

I currently have the ADV rear tank on my 990. I don't like how the brace flexes and the tank moves when I'm riding hard on the trails. The tank brace has rubbed on my swingarm a couple times and the tank itself has been rubbed by my tire a few times. I've considered having the brace reinforced but am thinking a better tank might be the way to go.

I remember seeing a thread where a guy made his own aluminum rear tank for either an ADV or an SE and I think he even painted it orange. I've searched thread after thread and can't seem to find it.

Anyone remember the thread? Anyone know of a rear tank that is made more like a cannister and mounted better than the current ADV tank?
Todd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
batovif
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd34 View Post
I currently have the ADV rear tank on my 990. I don't like how the brace flexes and the tank moves when I'm riding hard on the trails. The tank brace has rubbed on my swingarm a couple times and the tank itself has been rubbed by my tire a few times. I've considered having the brace reinforced but am thinking a better tank might be the way to go.

I remember seeing a thread where a guy made his own aluminum rear tank for either an ADV or an SE and I think he even painted it orange. I've searched thread after thread and can't seem to find it.

Anyone remember the thread? Anyone know of a rear tank that is made more like a cannister and mounted better than the current ADV tank?
check this...
http://www.ktm950.info/how/Farkels/a...lly_tanks.html
batovif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:14 AM   #3
henryroten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd34 View Post

I think that it would be cool to convert the CJ Designs aluminum tool box into an auxillary tank (or something similar to it, maybe larger?). I am having the same issues with my plastic 2.2 tank and would appreciate a cleaner, better fitting tank.
henryroten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:30 AM   #4
Todd34 OP
Toubab

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryroten View Post
I think that it would be cool to convert the CJ Designs aluminum tool box into an auxillary tank (or something similar to it, maybe larger?). I am having the same issues with my plastic 2.2 tank and would appreciate a cleaner, better fitting tank.
I thought I saw a thread where a guy had one of CJ's tool boxes converted to a tank.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
Todd34 OP
Toubab

Quote:
Originally Posted by batovif View Post
Those tanks are pretty damn cool but I'm just looking for a tank that replaces the canister on the left but doesn't really change the look of the bike.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:36 AM   #6
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,885
I built my own:

DSC03774

More pictures can be found here.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
Todd34 OP
Toubab

Nice tank Johan. That's more in line with what I am looking for.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #8
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 660
Not painted Orange, but another DIY tank option.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685497

The rear tank mount is very important in stabilizing the fuel tank,
but it is just not an option with the AdvTank.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Here's the link to the tank THREAD

Mine's being shipped out to me today!!!

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
MP5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Cant wait to see that on your bike ktm950se. Do you know, or anyone else, what undertail light/kit CJ is using on his SE?
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #11
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
I'm not sure which light CJ is running, but here's a thread from a few years back that discusses SE tail-tidys, LINK.

Hattech has some great products, and although their SE tail-tidy is listed, its not shown in pics.

The link to the pics was: http://www.hattech.de/KTM_Superenduro_950_R_KZH.html
but unfortunately just after this page loads, and when you can finally see the tail-tidy, the page then changes to Hattech's homepage.

Perhaps one of our resident IT gurus can stop it from loading and capture a screen shot of the page...

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
Todd34 OP
Toubab

I just received this from CJ and it's exactly what I was looking for.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #13
what car??
down the road

Oddometer: 354
Have you thought about just going with the safari's?? I think that would be the way I would go. I think the weight distribution would be better down lower. Anyone have the weight specs on those tanks, empty/filled? What about weight distribution of the tank on one side and exhaust on the other... I would think the exhaust side would be lighter, how would that affect riding in more technical terrain when balance would be important. I don't have either, safari's or rear tank, but curious what's the opinions.... Not trying to steal the thread, but extra fuel is always a benefit..... And I am curious about the benefits of either or both.....
what car?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:42 AM   #14
Todd34 OP
Toubab

Yeah, I thought about the Safari's and I would have went that way had it not been for the price tag. As for the weight, I used to have the ADV tank on that side and didn't really notice. The can I have on the other side will certainly be lighter than the tank when it's full but I don't think they weigh more together than the stock cans. Those things were HEAVY.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:32 AM   #15
NKL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
This is what I made, Ducati 748 silencer sleeve with a few other bits fabricated onto it, CCM silencer straps, it holds 4.5 litres which gives me 8.5 litres when the fuel light comes on.

Before anybody asks, the cap does have a vent in it, just not in these photos.
NKL is offline   Reply With Quote