Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #31
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
After a short walk down the beach, Bernie and Shawn headed South to Santa Cruz while I made my way to a few places around town. My girlfriend Kim had flown into town to visit friends for the week and since she thought I was already in Oregon, I would be surprising her this afternoon. There was more to the plan however. Sparing the details I swept her off her feet, proposed in a rather spectacular way :coola and am now engaged to the love of my life :)

We ran off to spend the night together while Bernie and Shawn headed back to Redwood City. We would all be meeting up again in the morning.

The next morning

But you all came for a motorcycle trip - let's get back to that ;)

Chapter Two: The Adventure Begins

DAY 5: One way ticket to Garberville

Five of us had breakfast together, and then I parted ways with my now fiance and our friend who came to pick her up.

The Three Amigos head North on coastal route 1 for who knows where tonight!

epicxcrider screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 02:07 PM
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #32
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

We rode north passing through San Fran on Rt 1, wishing we had time to explore. Unfortunately we had to make miles today so we passed by and headed for the Golden Gate Bridge.

Taking a little time to sightsee on the North end, we got off the highway to ride through Sausalito. I absolutely loved this little old town right on the water with it’s views of the bay. You could trip on the sidewalk and fall right into the ocean! Bernie and I vowed to return to live in a house on the hill for a few years.

Heading back to the coast on Rt 1 the roads were excellent and traffic was pretty minimal which we sure enjoyed.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #33
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,183
Absolutely amazing so far, you guys should realize you are lucky to do this kind of trip/ride
150ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #34
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,741
Thumb Awesome..

and congratdulations on your engaugement.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #35
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Life is crazy right now, hope to update this soon!
Old 08-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #36
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,386
I'm not in, boring, bad photography, etc. Nope, not gonna book mark this page.

Damnit, I'm in.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #37
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Riding North up Route 1 was really excellent. We were all excited to be making some headway, the real adventure beginning now with no plans of where we would end up for the night.

I sprung a leak so we had to stop for a minute while I took care of it.

We cruised North for a while taking in the essential California - Sun, ocean breeze, great roads and beautiful flora (fauna too ).

Constantly scanning the map as I rode, I spotted a track on the map that curved so tight like a Ramen noodle heading up into the hills.

Panoramic Highway. TURN RIGHT

Up up up we go draggin pegs and dropping into first for some corners, then banging through gears until the next one. No traffic - amazing.

You know, we really didn't hit much traffic on the whole trip and I will say that compared to New England, people in California (outside of the cities) were very courteous drivers and nice enough to pull over for us when they saw three headlights pile up in the rearview.
Except the dreaded fart-smellers in their pruises who would not pull over or even go the speed limit. Get out of my way, I get better mileage than you with my throttle wide open.

Pruis rant over, I really enjoyed the hell out of driving up Panoramic - and things just got better when we headed North on Ridgecrest.

The views up here were pretty remarkable as we got above the trees into the grasslands. Treated to a view of the San Fran skyline we had to stop for a few photos.

Heading North. Ish :)

This road was just so, SO good

And then we came to Bolinas.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #38
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

I don't have any photos from Bolinas - Fairfax Rd. This is kind of irritating now, but I couldn't care less then - riding it was so much fun. Instead, I've stolen (borrowed?) this picture from the internet to show you what it's like.

Imagine miles of this. Miles.

This photo came from here: http://aphotoaday.blogspot.com/2009/...-photo_23.html and I've just realized this was taken by a prius driver. Great.

Anyway, you can imagine the three of us had quite a bit of fun on this road while we descended back down to Rt. 1. The road moved inland for a bit which was a nice change of pace and shortly we reached Point Reyes Station

What a creeper

It was getting on in the early afternoon and we hadn't yet stopped so I pulled into the bay store in Bodega Bay. Beautiful spot for a stop, if a bit chilly from the ocean breeze. A quick snack break here and we pushed North. Trying to make some big miles today.

The scenery on the coast is spectacular and dynamic. I never got tired of the view.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #39
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Maybe the second best way to travel Rt. 1

For the next few hours the ride was pretty uneventful, but generally extremely enjoyable. I didn't take too many photos as I really just focused on taking everything in.

Getting towards the evening, we reached the point where Rt. 1 heads away from the coast. Inland and up into the mountains we went :)

epicxcrider screwed with this post 08-28-2012 at 03:26 PM
Old 08-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #40
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Congrats on the girl and the new ride.

I gotta give you guys a big thumbs up going from new riders to taking on soft sand on a heavy d/s bike, riding the turns with spirit and so forth.

BTW, a bit of a tip. Less tire pressure works best in the looser stuff, but you need a way to inflate back when you get on pavement.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #41
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
I gotta give you guys a big thumbs up going from new riders to taking on soft sand on a heavy d/s bike, riding the turns with spirit and so forth.

BTW, a bit of a tip. Less tire pressure works best in the looser stuff, but you need a way to inflate back when you get on pavement.

Well, I was the only new guy to motorcycles. I usually run deflated in the rough stuff, but we transitioned from rough to 80 mph highway sections so many times in a day it would have wasted a lot of time airing up and down. But I agree, low tire pressure is great in loose stuff!
Old 08-22-2012, 08:31 AM   #42
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Route 1 curved in and around the big pines that shaded us from the sun as we rose up towards the Redwood Highway. I really turned on the heat in this section, keeping the bike in 3rd and using the full range of the engine. The Heidinaus notably faster than the nobbies, Bernie and I quickly pulled ahead of Shawn in the miles of nicely banked corners.

Crap picture, sorry

Arriving at the intersection of Rt 1 and 101, I pulled up to a group of Harley riders in a dirt parking lot. Looking the part in full leathers and tattoos I expected a typical New England greeting of looking the other way and pretending I didn't exist since I wasn't on a cruiser... Was I wrong! These were Canadian Harley riders! Only too happy to chat for a bit and share stories of the road. They were from Just outside of Banff, headed to San Fran. We were coming from San Fran, headed to Banff. Small world. (I really have nothing against Harley guys :) We chatted for a while until Shawn showed up, then broke off to head North.

The day was getting on so we decided to look for a place to camp near Benbow or Garberville. The ride North was more relaxed now and quite enjoyable.

Note that the tree trunk is as tall as Bernie

epicxcrider screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 01:58 PM
Old 08-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #43
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

After deciding not to camp at the state park ($55 for the 3 of us for a night!?!) we searched high and low in Benbow and Garberville for some primitive camping. Gassing up we saw another group of riders across the street. Riding a mix of dirt bikes and cruisers, clad in flanel with gear strapped to the bars or wherever it could be they were stopped for a break. Bernie rode over to ask about a place to pitch a tent while Shawn and I waited. No dice.
Later I found out one of those kids on the cruisers was a buddy from college on a weekend trip - small world!

Anyway, we rode around for probably an hour or so trying to find a place to camp. Dirt roads, dead ends, everything. Eventually we found a pretty boss spot :)

Dusk was approaching by the time we made camp, and I ate an avocado by the light of the stove as I cooked a can of soup. Camp was in a riverbed made up of very loose river rock. Driving through it was a pain, but we managed to find a few soft spots for the tents. Realizing nobody brought provisions for a bear bag, we made an offering out of all the food we had a good distance from the tents. Fortunately all we had was a few avocados and some empty soup cans.

epicxcrider screwed with this post 08-30-2012 at 02:21 PM
Old 08-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #44
Osmin C
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
This has to be one of the best RR's I have read in a while. Great job!
Osmin C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #45
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,037
I grew up around there. My #1 son was born in Mountain View. I am surprised La Honda Road is unchanged. Haven't ridden it in 30 years.

I know those silty trails around Mono Lake too. I knew you would get stuck when I read what you were attempting. In 2005 I rode my KTM 950 from Boston to Monterey for MotoGP. I spotted a similar track that appeared to lead to the Mono Lake shore. I got stuck a mile in. Not only that, but I couldn't put the side stand down or even get off the bike because of the tall duffels and all. Plus I was solo as my partners went on up the road to Hwy 395.

Sheesh...what now?

Well, I knew enough not to spin the tire deeper so I gently rocked the bike out using the clutch. Turning around was about as much fun, but I was able to get back to tar eventually.

I was told later in that part of the country the dirt all lava cinder or something like that. It's not really soil or sand. I agree, it is bottomless, whatever it is.

I have a hard time imagining you were stepping out the back end of that 500lb monster like a dirt bike, but hey...you're young and foolish. It took me years of dirtbiking around those parts to learn to slide a motorcycle and none of them weighed more than 250lb!

Looking for more updates. I am most interested in your take on the country once you begin your eastern path home. Hope you get a chance to ride parts of the CDR, but I think you'll need tracks for that. It's a good route for the big bikes.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote