Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #76
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
you've been on that road already, back in the olden days, baling hay in western montana. i caught it in some thin smoke haze, might look different.

bring the best camera you have in your inventory, you can't capture that country without a darn good one. i wished for a better one while there.
Yeah, hope to get some good pics. I'll have to see if I can do a little more exploring while I'm down in Centenial Valley and find the ranch. Right now they just have a straight line from Lima to West Yellowstone on the route chart.
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:44 AM   #77
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Yeah, hope to get some good pics. I'll have to see if I can do a little more exploring while I'm down in Centenial Valley and find the ranch. Right now they just have a straight line from Lima to West Yellowstone on the route chart.
i'd make a loop out of those roads between 20/87/287 and I15, camping available on at least two of the lakes, rather than just ride from Red Rock Pass over to Lima. good cowboy cafe at Lima.

that country was full of red shouldered hawks when i went through.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #78
GSPilot320
n00b

Oddometer: 8
jdrocks, been enjoying all your posts and pics. I have been reading as I try and follow your path on Google Earth. What an awesome ride, is there any chance that your GPS saved your route for uploading in order to retrace your path? I am trying to find the best way to do rides like this that can be preprogrammed in my GPS. I am a bit new to this, so I am learning by trial and error, for now I have to stop a lot and zoom in and out on the GPS to see my future route ahead. Once again, great write up and looking forward to more!
GSPilot320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #79
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPilot320 View Post
jdrocks, been enjoying all your posts and pics. I have been reading as I try and follow your path on Google Earth. What an awesome ride, is there any chance that your GPS saved your route for uploading in order to retrace your path? I am trying to find the best way to do rides like this that can be preprogrammed in my GPS. I am a bit new to this, so I am learning by trial and error, for now I have to stop a lot and zoom in and out on the GPS to see my future route ahead. Once again, great write up and looking forward to more!
i hadn't thought about anyone following along on google earth, but it's very doable, and would be most interesting in hybrid to see the terrain. i purposely named the roads so others could ride it, i didn't intend it to be a secret, after all, some of the roads are Blue Ridge Trail roads.

as a reminder, some of these roads can be in rough shape, be prepared in every sense, there are plenty of ways to get yourself into trouble on these roads. you can find roads that look ok in my photos barely passable in spring, or after heavy rains.

you can find lots of information on GPS tracks/routes in the "Layin' Down Tracks" subsection of ADV, with plenty of areas to explore closer to Florida to get you started. if you get north to the roads described in this report, i can set ya up with a gpx file for this custom route, no problem.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #80
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Quote:
i'd make a loop out of those roads between 20/87/287 and I15, camping available on at least two of the lakes, rather than just ride from Red Rock Pass over to Lima. good cowboy cafe at Lima.

that country was full of red shouldered hawks when i went through.
Yep. Not sure what we'll do. We'll be coming from Butte to Bannak and across to West. They're not much into camping so probably looking for a hotel in West. We might have time to do that loop.

David
Old 08-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #81
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Yep. Not sure what we'll do. We'll be coming from Butte to Bannak and across to West. They're not much into camping so probably looking for a hotel in West. We might have time to do that loop.

David
Bannock from the north is paved, it's a little more interesting from the south.

campground there, but i don't think they even had water last year. lodging in Lima, Dillon, Virginia City, etc.

here ya go, thank me later...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818279

wish i was out there.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #82
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Been through Lima a couple times thought that cafe looked good. One of my roomates in college (Bozeman) was from Lima.

David
Old 08-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #83
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Thumb

Quote:
thanks, so here's the deal...

get your hands on a bottle of Van Winkle Reserve, the 20 year, a favorite son product of your home state. i'll ride over, build a big fire in your backyard, we'll sit there and drink it all up.

warning, plan ahead, that bottle contains unobtainium, might take two or three years and 500 bucks, cheap at that price. everythings relative.
Sure....no problem. Just give me a couple days notice

Otherwise it might be shine out of a mason jar
'83 Yamaha Venture- Gone
'78 Suzuki GS 750- Gone
WaywardSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:22 AM   #84
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Been through Lima a couple times thought that cafe looked good. One of my roomates in college (Bozeman) was from Lima.

David
give us a report...with pitchers.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #85
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardSon View Post

Otherwise it might be shine out of a mason jar
ok, i'll pick up some roadkill coming over the hill, we'll be needin' somethin' for the grill. if more than day-old, we can marinade it in Mountain Dew, add some Texas Pete. if i find something big, i'll call ahead, y'all can invite the neighbors.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #86
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

I went through the front door, and the young lady that had just entered ran slam into me coming back the other direction, caromed off me like she’d run head first into the center field wall, there were way worse things that could run into ya, she had impressively big…presence. Thank goodness she wasn’t hurt, and I might have enjoyed myself more, but I was distracted by cooking pig part smells, and the GPS screen I had just looked at that said “MAX SPEED 89.6mph”. Heck, I had been riding on gravel roads most of the day so far…maybe that’s why I came up on those deer so fast first thing this morning.

Ordered a bacon and egg biscuit from the gal cook, she’d been cooking here every time I stopped. A wizened old guy was fiddling with some wine bottles behind me, I’d forgotten they sold wine here, and I asked him “Having a party?”, before I realized he was stocking the shelves, must own the place. Slightly stooped, everything he did was at a measured pace, no hurry, no wasted motion. Lest you think he was over the hill, just catch the look in his eye…bright, penetrating, stoic, and unblinking, the man had been up and down the river more than once. He said “I don’t know why people make such a fuss about wine, just go by the color, it all tastes about the same.” Now we something in common, and we talked for another half hour, the cook kept my biscuit warm. So long my friend, we both had places to go, besides, I was standing in the way of a mousse haired man who wanted to inspect the wine labels. My friend and I made eye contact a last time, he had the faintest of smiles, a twinkle in his eyes, yup, this dude needed a few weeks at man camp in the worst way.

I was eating my biscuit, washing it down with some fizzy water that I had purchased by mistake, an alphabet soup of local culture and visiting potentates all on view, man, ya can learn a lot around these places. For instance, I learned that if you drive one of those big septic tank pumper trucks and have been sucking crap out people’s tanks all morning, it was not necessary to wash your hands before you eat an egg and cheese biscuit, ya won’t die of some exotic freakin’ disease that the CDC can’t even begin to identify. I learned that Jimi Hendrix was still alive, I swear it was the same guy I had seen set fire to a guitar in Chicago back a few years, lookin’ a little skinny, no ass end in those drawers, still walking that pharmacologically induced loose limbed strut. Also learned that if an odd looking couple were holding hands and smooching, but looked like twins, they could be brother and sister, their parents too, the betting line was a coin toss.

Lastly, I learned from two bib overalled guys leaning on the outside soft drink machines, if you have to give your hound an enema because he got into that 5 gallon pail of husked walnuts and swallowed more than a few, he won’t come back to the house anymore when ya whistle.

I had to leave, the red flag on the meter had popped up, outta time once again. On 250, a short jog that doesn’t get me out of third, and I was on Braley Pond, the final gravel leg on this trip before the turn for home, a high speed run all the way in.

A pileated woodpecker flew across the road in front of me, damn, these are big birds, hadn’t seen one for awhile. These are protected birds, but many are shot when they start pecking on someone’s house with that big beak, it sounds like someone pounding with a claw hammer. When someone says “She kisses like she has them woodpecker lips”, they were thinking of the pileated, no thanks, I’ll pass.

I had ridden by an inexhaustible number of abandoned homes along the route, some with a newer dwelling close by, most still standing alone. These fallen in buildings are found all across the country as the jobs moved to urban areas, and the people too, no return.

I put the camera away for good just as car passed heading south, beat up, fender in primer, mismatched tires, no hubcaps, two young shirtless guys, black ink tats, might be gardeners on the way back from tending their pet plants back in the National Forest woods, and this was only vehicle number three on the gravel.

Made another turn below the reservoir, now northwest and back on the border, the road was graded, and I was up to speed until I came up on a pair of horse riders. I hated passing horses on a bike, it seemed you automatically pissed off the rider, horse, or both. Pulled in the clutch and rolled by, idling, as far left as I could get, the women riders surprised by the courtesy, I got smiles and a friendly wave. Ask any horse rider forced to ride the shoulder of a road, many drivers intentionally tried to spook the horse.

A final turn up NF85, and I was climbing the road to Reddish Knob from the southwest, the road rough on the steep grades, no more stops except Bridgewater for lunch, and fuel along the way, I wanted to be home by dusk. I’d seen hundreds of deer on this ride, but there are twice as many near home. Nobody around at Reddish Knob, vehicles, bicycles, people, or motos, and I didn’t see another vehicle until I was down near 257, falling in line behind a drunk in an Audi. He had crossed the centerline a dozen times when I made up my mind to drop a dime, off on the side, no cell, damn, back on the road in time to see the Audi turn left, lucky for him, I wasn’t going to follow.

A light breakfast, and that biscuit was just a snack, I needed lunch, how about seafood at Mr. McDonalds, thanks, I’ll try that big Angus burger, and for anyone who doesn’t think seafood is served under the arches, y’all have simply forgotten that those ol’ cows are really good swimmers.

I rode the slab home at 85 cruise, the deer hadn’t come out for social hour yet, my wife was watching the SPOT, and I found her standing in the drive waiting for me, big hug…and I was home, with a 20p nail stuck in the rear tire, no flat, my luck had held once again.

THE END...until next time.

jdrocks screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 03:04 PM
Old 08-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #87
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
jdrocks, thanks for sharing. Always interesting!
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #88
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
[QUOTE=jdrocks;19330239][B][COLOR=Orange]This little campground was supposed to be closed at 10pm, it’s written in the Bible somewhere, so if you can’t get your dumb butt in there by 10pm, keep on a goin’ baby, officially, you’re out of luck. Unofficially, no one seems to give a hoot about regulations, so I shouldn’t have been surprised when a pickup truck with the big bad dual exhaust pulled in at 12:30AM[FONT=Arial].

Good read JD. Very similar situation happened our first night camping in Colorado, that damn truck could have woke the dead.
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:10 AM   #89
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
jdrocks, thanks for sharing. Always interesting!
thanks, get up with mr. dd, mark a date on the calender, times a'wastin'.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:29 AM   #90
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

[QUOTE=ktmklx;19399000]
Quote:
[B][COLOR=Orange]This little campground was supposed to be closed at 10pm, it’s written in the Bible somewhere, so if you can’t get your dumb butt in there by 10pm, keep on a goin’ baby, officially, you’re out of luck. Unofficially, no one seems to give a hoot about regulations, so I shouldn’t have been surprised when a pickup truck with the big bad dual exhaust pulled in at 12:30AM[FONT=Arial].

Good read JD. Very similar situation happened our first night camping in Colorado, that damn truck could have woke the dead.
thanks. yeah, a large and growing percentage of people think regulations were written for the OP...other people.

this little report included over 200 miles of east coast gravel roads, but strangely, i came across fewer vehicles per mile than i did on the Trans Taiga, or some of the big western gravel roads.

assume that your very cool rat bike performed well, and you've made it home safe and sound after riding the passes, and some rough backcountry roads.

this is what i wrote several years ago about the mindset required for these trips...

Time to go, goodbye, and I’m off adventuring once again. Starting on down the road on a trip like this feels like you kept a flask of adrenaline in your hip pocket just for the occasion, pulled it out, and drank it up in one long pull. All of it. If you’re not feeling alive at this point, as in absolutely and urgently alive, please consider staying home. I’m convinced that this heightened state is what allows your return, maybe not unscathed, but certainly alive.

i'm still a believer.