Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #76
Rabbot OP
rain+superbike=adventure

Oddometer: 549
Thanks, Red Bud. I think. Did I leave the word bike off or is that what you fixed? I almost always type too fast. By now you all can also tell I rarely proof read what I type, ADD and

(Squirrel)

Dyslexia make fore some interesting typos. Add two that, I never learned to spell.

On with the story. We get to the WestFest location mid afternoon. Have to find a place to set up a tent. It had rained a fair amount over the previous days so it was easy to determine where all the runoff goes. Exactly to all the remaining level spots. I noticed this really flat area that appeared to drain well and for some reason no one had set up there. It was large enough to hold three tents. We staked our claim and started to set up right as the rain began.

It did mean however that the dance floor would become unavailable. Fortunately someone had an enclosed trailer wired for sound that worked better given the weather. I hear even Buddy Holly made an appearance.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #77
LuluOfDenver
The peanut gallery.

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbot View Post
Thanks, Red Bud. I think. Did I leave the word bike off or is that what you fixed? I almost always type too fast. By now you all can also tell I rarely proof read what I type, ADD and

(Squirrel)

Dyslexia make fore some interesting typos. Add two that, I never learned to spell.

On with the story. We get to the WestFest location mid afternoon. Have to find a place to set up a tent. It had rained a fair amount over the previous days so it was easy to determine where all the runoff goes. Exactly to all the remaining level spots. I noticed this really flat area that appeared to drain well and for some reason no one had set up there. It was large enough to hold three tents. We staked our claim and started to set up right as the rain began.

It did mean however that the dance floor would become unavailable. Fortunately someone had an enclosed trailer wired for sound that worked better given the weather. I hear even Buddy Holly made an appearance.
A dance floor and loud music--it's the only thing RMAR was missing. Drinking and dancing--what could go wrong.

Nice pic. I need to find out more about West Fest from you. Since I live here, I should be hitting that one up too.

GIRL ON A MOTORBIKE
Http://louisesbmwbike.blogspot.com
LuluOfDenver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:31 AM   #78
Rabbot OP
rain+superbike=adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluOfDenver View Post
A dance floor and loud music--it's the only thing RMAR was missing. Drinking and dancing--what could go wrong.

Nice pic. I need to find out more about West Fest from you. Since I live here, I should be hitting that one up too.
Here is what went wrong. Since there was a fire ban in effect, there was no fire to gather around. We gathered around this in stead.

Note this is happening right in front of my tent. Little did I know then but the stage had been set. This was party central fore or not.

Some of the usual suspects getting warmed up.

REmember this face. He returns to the story a little later.

This guy too

There was some shine involved so things get a little foggy after the sun went down. At some point i climbed into my tent. Most of those shown above were also headed off for a night of slumber. All was well and it was getting quiet till the drunks (ah folks) from the dance trailer, got their second wind. I had visited them earlier but by then they had hit a wall and were in that "groggy state of late afternoon had too much to drink I'm sleepy but can't sleep place."
So this group headed up by advtenn start to wind up outside my tent. I shook it off fell asleep anyway. All was well until someone would say something funny and advtenn, I believe, would stomp his foot on the dance floor when he would laugh. Some one pulled out cheese and crackers. Oh god this is going to go on for a little longer. At some point someone outside, AdventrueGirl, I think sees my tent move and says something like "Someone is sleeping in that tent? That's hardcore". Another nap then I hear "we are out of cheese" YES, finally. One of the vampires still awake proclaims "I've got backup cheese". That is when I got up. There could not be back up cheese. Thankfully all it took was just stating no back up cheese. They offered little resistance and most wandered off to bed right then. the rest were not far behind.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:00 AM   #79
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
So the nexts days ride plans are set.

We back track to Salida. We take the route where Rob's bike took a nap and we also revisited the cowboy strong hold site.

After that, we ate lunch in Salida and then headed for Canyon City. There we picked up Skyland Drive ans Shelf Road up to Cripple Creek.

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:31 AM   #80
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Sunday

This is where the thread may get a little confusing. This is the day that I go to meet my wife and Rob gathers a posse and wanders aimlessly until Lori and I meet him in Silverton, at RMAR.

So fair warning...this thread is will flip back and forth from me and Lori to Rob and his posse for the next few days.

Sunday has arrived and it time to head toward DIA. to pick up advtenn wife. She flys in today and we will be riding together for the next few days. This is her first time to Colorado. First stop was Boulder, we found a really cool place to eat called "Southern Sun" Then it was off to Neaderland for the night.

We saw these guys climbing rocks on the road side. Gotta look close!

We wanted to tour the Coors brewery in Golden the next day, but they we closed to tours.

Next stop...Mt Evans

Would ya look at who we met at the top
Land and RubenRN

advtenn screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 07:26 AM
Old 08-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #81
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Lets do lunch!

I heard of this really cool lunch spot in Pine Grove. (pablo83 told me about it) So the four of us (land,Ruben me and advtenn wife) were headed there from Mt. Evans when we got caught in a Forrest Gump kinda hail storm.
It was hailing sidways.

Dollars hanging everywhere!

Old 08-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #82
Rabbot OP
rain+superbike=adventure

While still at WestFest, we were fortunate enough to run into this guy. Some will recognize the bike some will not. There is a thread here on ADV rider about it.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #83
Rabbot OP
rain+superbike=adventure

Prior to heading west and knowing advtenn was going to branch off and need some alone time with advtenn wife, I put out a post or two looking for someone riding to RMAR from WestFest. I corresponded with Roland and Bumknee (Scott). Ran into them both at WestFest. They, advtenn, and I rode back to Salida together for lunch and to the cowboy fortress and back to WestFest. Riding styles were a match.

Sunday morning when everyone was packed we packed our gear and discussed where we would go to that day. Rolland had a plan and some track loaded into his GPS that were suppose to be fantastic. Only problem was he wanted to camp about 5 miles away from where we were. Scott, who had paid for his cabin another night stated, he would just come back to the ranch and stay there. Not wanting to set my tent up 5 miles from where I just had it set up, asked if there was more then one bed in his room. Bottom line, we all came back for one more night after riding some really cool, high bermed atv trails. We did not even make it to the end of the driveway, before we vectored off onto a trail and out into the national forest. Sorry no pictures. The group and I separated in Jefferson, I think. They were headed to Breakenridge and right into a very dark sky and a place I had already been to three times in the last few weeks. I headed south to Buena Vista or Salida to see if I could source a lock core to repair my luggage. We would meet back at the Ranch and site of WestFest.

My view from the front porch where I slept very well in lieu of the snoring room.

Next day we rode over towards Buena Vista riding some of the same trails from the day before. We were trying to connect the other half of the loop we abandoned the day before due to rain. It was excellent riding a little less fun because we were on fully loaded large adventure bikes. I knew of a NFS campground or two up Chalk near Mt. Princeton.

Rolland who had been riding with this as his rear tire, decided it was time to change. I think he got tired of airing it up twice a day.

It helps if you install this before you try to burn out two compressors.

That night we endured the scariest electrical storm I have ever been in. The Camp, NFS Cascade was full so were the lower two camps. We were forced to camp higher up near St Elmo at NFS IronCity. We were greeted by out host and immediately warned about the bear who had been visiting the camp, Great. Roland changed the tire shown in the above pictures and then we all headed down the hill to Mt. Princeton Hot Springs where we had dinner and soaked up the heat of the spring. The women weren't bad either. At least we were clean and well fed. Thought it was very considerate of us to do this so as not to upset the bears delicate stomach. Gathered some fire wood lit a white mans fire, used gas, multiple times, that the Cherokee of NC could have spotted. (for some reason there was not a fire band.) Probably because it rains 3" a night there. at least while we were there. (don't worry no children, animals or pine beetles where harmed in the making of this fire). Then right on cue the rain started. We retreated to Scott's motorcycle condominium. Really. We hung out in what was supposed to be the garage, waited for the rain to stop then returned with the fire persuader and got it going again. Enjoyed the fire for another 15 minutes before the lightning. All off to our tents to lay on our backs and feel the ground shake with every strike. It felt like it was hitting the fire pit it was so close.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #84
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,820
Quote:

REmember this face. He returns to the story a little later.

That's the face of innocence.

Great report.
Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #85
Rabbot OP
rain+superbike=adventure

Great report.
Chris[/QUOTE]

Welcome home traveler. Looking forward to your report if you write one. PM me a link please.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #86
reubenRN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Pumping...see post #57 for additional details!

Old 08-21-2012, 04:28 AM   #87
Rabbot OP
rain+superbike=adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenRN View Post
Pumping...see post #57 for additional details!

Thanks Rueben. Thought I dodged that one.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #88
Rabbot OP
rain+superbike=adventure

The campsite at Iron city was a good one. No bear, and we already dealt with the bad electrical storm and since everything was wet, we decide to keep it as a base camp and ride a loop out of there. We start by visiting the ghost town of St Elmo

Then we were off to conquer Tincup Pass. No pictures on the way up. I believed we could get over it, since I had in a VW Bus some 20+ years earlier but was warned against it again and again. After the the miscalculation on Mosquito Pass I was feeling gun shy. It was now a week later and countless miles of the best Colorado had to offer in riding, I was with a strong group of riders, that's not to say that advtenn and Rueben were not solid, we were just fresh and unacclimated to altitude when we were riding together. They are strong riders as well and you shall see in future posts. Roland, Scott, Brandon and I threw caution to the wind and give it a try. It was challenging but still doable. No dropped bikes and we made the summit in a reasonable amount of time. Passing Jeeps and quad's all the way to the top. It would have been much harder had we tried with loaded bikes.

The way down was a little harder in my opinion. We sent Brandon out as a scout on the KLR and he returned with a favorable report. Down we go.

The above shot represents the worst of it with the exception of one small ledge we all had to ride over. The tiger had more then enough ground clearance to make it. The only bike not to drag if I remember correctly. This is also much steeper then this picture shows.

We make it to Tincup and while waiting for Scott and Brandon, Roland takes this shot of me.

Wait some more. Wait some more. I get a bad feeling and turn around and head back up the trail. I stop a passing jeep and ask if he saw two riders. He told me they were on the side of the road with tools out. Well at least it seemed everyone was OK from that report. I arrive on the scene and find Scott and Brandon, using bailing wire to wire on Scott's auxiliary lights which had apparently rattled off on the decent. Back to Tincup and lunch.

If memory serves me it took us a couple hours to go about 15 or 20 miles. Can't underestimate what these passes hold terrain wise.

From Tincup we head over Cumberland Pass which I had already done, earlier in the trip with advtenn and Rueben, and down into the small but more developed town of Pitkin. Scott elected to take the easy way back to BV because he had ordered a new skid plate to replace the stock splash plate his BMW came with. Forgot to mention somewhere along the way he knocked that completely off and used bailing wire to hold it on.

We decided to ride out to Hwy 50 and then vector off to Marshall Pass and Poncha Pass back to Salida then north to BV and home to our camp. It started raining almost as soon as we started up Marshall Pass. After about 10 miles the road was grease. We had no choice but to turn around and slab back over Monarch Pass to Salida. Even then Roland an I were having trouble keeping the rear tire behind us. Brandon had full knobbies on so perhaps it was not so white knuckle for him.

We made camp and put brandon in charge of starting the fire. No sign of Scott. Still daylight so no problem.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:50 AM   #89
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,820
Quote:
Welcome home traveler. Looking forward to your report if you write one. PM me a link please.
Thanks!

I'll probably do a ride report, but who knows when. It took me about 10 months to get around to doing the RR from my 2011 trip, and I still haven't done one on the big trip from '09.

I'm looking forward to more from your'n, though.

Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:40 AM   #90
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Ok..so while Rob was off getting lost, and looking for buffalo, Lori and I was headed to Mac's for dinner and to drop off my camping gear. Lori and I would be staying in motels or cabins for the rest of the trip.

We had dinner with Mac's family and headed to Manitou for the night. This place is near Pikes Peak and is a cool little town. I want to revisit this place sometime.

Just a couple of drive by shots (note to self "take more pics on your next ride")

Then the next day we headed to Gold Camp Road and Cripple Creek again, where Lori took some nice pics that were used earlier in the report....(post #12)

advtenn screwed with this post 08-23-2012 at 08:57 AM