Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-20-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,046
Talking 1973 r75 /5 Toaster LWB

Welp, I bought another BMW (I told myself I didn't need one and should go for more variety.)
I owe a certain inmate a beer on this one for posting the CL article a couple days back. Article had the bike for $1000 up in Ohio (I'm in Atlanta) and I figured, hey, with gas this bike is still only around $1300. I called the guy and he promised the bike to me eventually. Got the brothers truck and loaded up the girlfriend and some snacks.
20 hours later and I'm back home with the rescue!
First impressions were that she looked pretty rough. Rust on quite a few spots on the frame, the dreaded fairing, king and queen seat and quite the dirty dirty motor. For some reason, the paint was in increeedible condition and the headers looked almost new. I scratch my head and look down at the odometer, 19,800 miles. That can't be right, this bike looks more like 119,800 but with really nice body work.
I had my major suspicions so I pulled the rear wheel and notice some incredibly dry, incredibly new splines
That tells me the bike matches its odometer...pulling the top end will really tell me, but now the body pieces and headers being so new make sense.

Anyways, I don't have a fancy camera set up any more so cell phone pics will have to do for this project.
Since these pictures, I've pulled the fairing off and the carbs.
The plan, thus far, is to just get it running as cheaply as possible. That includes new fluids, carb rebuild, new tires, tank relining (POR15...that tank is nasty inside.) The normal maintenance and tuning: Valve lash, carb sync, points gap and timing.
She also came with a snazzy looking set of Samsonite luggage (not Krauser!) and rear rack. All of that will be for sale if any wants to claim dibs and send an offer.

1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650

blaine.hale screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 07:39 PM
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote