Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2012, 03:51 AM   #61
Noone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
I just think it's asking a lot to be able to buy online and then expect a dealer to mount them. I don't do that, having been in the business.
It isn't "asking" anything. It providing a service for a FEE not for free. And the whole "liability" bit is horseshit. The manufacturer is liable for tire defects, the installer is liable for defective workmanship. Where the tire was purchased is irrelevant.

I did business with a shop some years ago that would mount the tire for free if you bought it from them (and brought in the wheel). If you brought the wheel and tire they would charge you. If they had to take the wheel off the bike they would charge you but in no event would they allow you leave without at least trying to get some of your money. AND, if you showed them the tire and price you found on line they would almost always match it (and mount it). They are still in business while many others have failed.

There are businesses that take the "all or nothing" approach. From me they usually get nothing.
Noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:06 AM   #62
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailwing View Post
Furthermore... I'm pissed a greedy dealers who drive up sales prices and fees.
Not exactly what you meant, but here's my example: I needed a little threaded adjuster for the chain on a Honda CB350. Called the dealer literally down the street from me that my Dad bought his bikes from. Not in stock (okay, it was a 20 year old bike at the time) and can order it but it will cost $x.xx. On a whim I held off and called the next closest dealer in a small town 20 minutes away. In stock, and the price was 10% less. Now, it's a part that only cost a few dollars, but I did the math and realized the 'local' dealer was marking up everything 10% over Honda suggested retail. So who do you think I'm going to purchase all my parts from in the future?

Oh, and let's not even factor in the difference in phone conversations (first dealer: long wait, indifferent. Second dealer: bright and cheerful, "We'll put your name on it so it doesn't get sold before you get here").

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:46 AM   #63
BigDoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
A tale of two dealers

First story; Blue Moon Cycle, Norcross, GA.

I used to work on a lot of old airheads. When I retired, I lost the house with the large lot and the 3 car garage and workshop. I moved to a beach cottage with no garage. What to do with all those old parts? I read that Blue Moon Cycle had a Fall Flea Market and you could bring anything and sell it for free in their parking lot. I loaded my 2500HD 8 ft. bed with parts and headed to Georgia. I arrived Friday afternoon and John told me to go ahead and unload my truck onto the grass. He said I could camp in my truck in their lower lot. I unloaded, set up my Sport Tent in the bed and settled in for the night. At closing, a mechanic yelled over the fence and tossed me an extension cord so I could have power for the night. I sold over $1700 in parts and had a SWB frame and engine left over. John gave me a fair price for it so I would not have to load it back up and haul it back home.

Same dealer, last Fall; I was scouting for a rally site for a large rally when I noticed I had worn the front tire on my R1100RT to the threads. The restaurant near the field I had camped in had internet. I emailed the service department at 7 AM and told them what I needed. I proceeded very carefully to Norcross. Blue Moon had a new Z8 waiting for me. In and out in less than an hour...$200 total cost.

Different dealer, Asheville, NC. I rode the K100 to the Old's Cool Rally. The battery went out on the way up. I figured no big deal. I would not turn the bike off until I got to the rally site and would get a jump the next morning. After all, Asheville had a NEW BMW dealer.

I got a jump Saturday morning and rode to Eurosport Asheville. I left the bike running in the lot and walked to the parts counter. "I need a battery for a K100." Parts girl goes to the computer. "What year and model is your bike?" It is a K100 I say. "What year?' WTF? All K 100 BMWs take the same battery. Parts girl, "We don't have it in stock; but I can order it; should be here by Wednesday." I walk away in disgust and see tow guys unloading their bikes. I asked them if there was a real motorcycle shop in town. They directed me down the street to Mottorrad Unlimnited. I knew when I walked in that I was in the right place. I asked if they had a battery for the K100. The gentleman said hold on a minute; I might have one. He came back with a battery, but after he took it out of the box, he said, "no, the terminals will not work for you." Then he did what REAL serviced-oriented merchants do; he called around and found a battery for me. He gave me good directions to Battery Plus. They were waiting on me with a charged AGM. When I asked if I could use their lot to change my battery, they said of course. As I was laying out my tools, they came out with a large piece of cardboard for me to use so I would not get dirty. When I finished, they gave me GoJo and a cleaning rag to wash my hands. Oh yes, the battery was $78 dollars LESS than the BMW dealer wanted for the battery.

Guess who will get my business in the future?
BigDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:17 AM   #64
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
My old local BMW dealer (A&S), on the other hand, while they were very proud of their bikes and their techs' time, had literally everything in stock or available next day, and prices were within 5% of what I could order parts for.
A&S is awesome. In April, while riding through CA, I had a radiator hose blow on my 94 K1100RS. Limped to a biddy's place in Sacramento. Called A&S first thing the next morning and they physically verified that they had the correct hose in stock before I went up there to get it. Guy at the parts counter was good.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #65
colodak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzband View Post
Why the hell would you, as a cash buyer, tell a salesman you're in bankruptcy? That just makes no sense.

Oh, & if a saleman turns down a cash purchase, mayhaps he should find another line of work.
I hadn't intended to tell him, it was none of his business, but he kept insisting that to get the best deal I had to finance it. I told him a couple of times that I was paying cash. After his 5th try to get me to finance, that's when I brought up the bk
colodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:34 AM   #66
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by colodak View Post
I hadn't intended to tell him, it was none of his business, but he kept insisting that to get the best deal I had to finance it. I told him a couple of times that I was paying cash. After his 5th try to get me to finance, that's when I brought up the bk
I think you need to learn how to vote with your foot.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #67
colodak
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
I think you need to learn how to vote with your foot.
I did, he didn't get my money and make a point to tell others NOT to shop at that dealer, I have since heard other stories of bad sales exp. with them.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #68
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by colodak View Post
I did, he didn't get my money and make a point to tell others NOT to shop at that dealer, I have since heard other stories of bad sales exp. with them.
Good to hear.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #69
colodak
Gnarly Adventurer

This thread has now reminded me of a couple of other stories:

Back in late 2000 I was looking to buy a new truck., had an older full size SUV and the wife and dog were always fighting over the front seat (in retrospect should have kept the SUV and the dog and sold the wife). Went looking for a mid-size pickup (Dodge Dakota, Chevy Colorado, Nissan Frontier, Toyota Tacoma). Each time we went shopping, we took the dog with us, kinda like the ol' saying " if Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy", in this case, if momma and the dog ain't happy, I'm gonna be in a world of hurt.

At each dealer, I explained that I needed a 4 dr pickup to accomodate the wife and dog. Walked into 2 different Toyota dealers (not really a Toy fan to begin with, but what the heck), not only would they not let us take the dog for a test ride in the truck, one dealer didn't want her in the showroom and the other wouldn't even let me put her in the backseat of the truck to see if the window height worked for her. Next was Nissan, 2 different dealers, one had a large sign on the entrance, SERVICE ANIMALS ONLY PERMITTED IN BUILDING, we left. Next dealer, salesman came out to greet us, showed us the stock of trucks, as soon as I opened the back door on one, my dog leapt in (I didn't prod her at all, she did it on her own). the salesman went pale and said that would be a problem as they would now have to have it cleaned before someone else test drove it. Um, yeah, don't think so. Headed to Chevy next, just didn't like the trucks so we moved on. Next stop was Dodge, two different dealers. First dealer, not only were they cool with the dog being in the backseat, the salesman opened the door and encouraged the dog to get in before handing me the keys for a test drive. When we got back, while we chatted about the truck, he gave her a couple of biscuits. Only reason I didn't buy the truck from them, they didn't have one with the options I wanted. They said they could bring one in from the dealer across town but it would take 3 days. Guess which dealer we went to next. Again, same treatment as the previous dealer, except while we were doing the paperwork and going over some dealer installed options I wanted, the salesman actually paged one of the lot runners to fetch bottles of water for me and the wife, as well as a bowl of water for the dog. While in with the finance guy, they brought her another bowl of water and a couple of treats.

But this one takes the cake. Wife wanted an SUV (for 4wd in the snow), I said let's look at AWD cars (Subaru, Audi, BMW, MB). Stopped by the Porsche/Audi dealer where a friend was a mechanic, looked at new and used cars. Test drove a couple of cars, the one my wife really wanted (an '02 A4) we had one problem with, the interior was red (seats, headliner, visors, etc.), on the passengers side headliner, visor, and A-pillar it was splotchy red, very visible color difference. It actually looked like blood, and when you scraped at them with your nail, it flaked off. I assumed the car had been wrecked, repaired and not cleaned up. When I pointed it out to the salesman, he swore the car was never wrecked, but then, with a straight face while looking at the discoloration and flaking....WHAT DO YOU EXPECT IT IS A USED CAR, IF YOU WANT PERFECTION BUY A NEW ONE....then walked off. I wrote down the VIN and we did leave, very quickly. I ran the VIN through CARFAX, came back with one ding, a major accident in Sept. '03. Called my friend and told him what happened, then called told the sales manager, explained everything to him about what happened and what I found afterwards. Next morning, my buddy text's me that the salesman was fired 15 minutes after I got off the phone with the sales manager. We still bought an Audi, but not from that dealer.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #70
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDoc View Post
I got a jump Saturday morning and rode to Eurosport Asheville. I left the bike running in the lot and walked to the parts counter. "I need a battery for a K100." Parts girl goes to the computer. "What year and model is your bike?" It is a K100 I say. "What year?' WTF? All K 100 BMWs take the same battery. Parts girl, "We don't have it in stock; but I can order it; should be here by Wednesday."
i love it! Happens to me all the time! just this weekend i walked into the local parts store to get a bulb for my RZR. i know they are the same as Chevy truck and about a million other car taillights and a lot cheaper than the Polaris dealer.

me - what part number are Chevy truck tail lights?

counter girl - do you have the VIN number?

me - no its not really for a chevy truck.

counter girl - well then i can’t tell you the correct number.

me - ok hold on. (walk out to my Chevy truck and get my VIN)

me - xyz123vinforme

counter girl - its part number xyz321

me - thanks.
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #71
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowarrior View Post
Call up my local Kawasaki dealer to order some parts for my zrx. Some new girl picks up the call, and i ask for this guy who i have dealt with for the last three years. He knows me and all my bikes. But instead the girl gets all aggro and calls me sexist.

Her: "Why do you need to talk to him? Just because i am a girl you think i don't know about bikes?"
Me: "no, it's just because he knows me and have always ordered my parts through him"
Girl: "just tell me what you need.."
Me: "ok, i need a, b, c, x, y, z for my 2001 Kawasaki zrx 1200"
Girl: "you mean zx12r"
Me: "nope, zrx 1200s"
Girl: "you must be reading it wrong"
Me: "nope, i know my bike, it's a zrx, not a ninja"
Girl: "nah, check your bike, it should say the model number, or bring it over and we will identify the bike for you"
Me: (hangs up) (facepalm)
I had a similar experience ordering parts for my S15 truck about 1983. So I drive down to the dealer, found the GM who I sort of knew and told him the story. He smiled and asked me if I minded calling her again, give her the VIN, from his office. She basically could not use the computer or look up things. Told me the part I wanted was not available. I was putting in stereo, needed some plastic parts non radio equipped trucks did not have. Now this lady was highly ornamental. Not only did she get the axe, so did the idiot that hired her.. When I bought my SS a few years later, I got a real good deal.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #72
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,039
I don't mind an ornamental parts girl, as long as there is someone there you can talk to when you need something.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #73
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
I don't mind an ornamental parts girl, as long as there is someone there you can talk to when you need something. :
The most knowledgeable parts person I"ve ever known was a chick and a damn good rider too.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #74
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
I don't mind an ornamental parts girl, as long as there is someone there you can talk to when you need something.
At the dealership where I do most of my business, they are one and the same. Not only attractive, but a great personality, and a certified tech.
davevv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #75
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
The most knowledgeable parts person I"ve ever known was a chick and a damn good rider too.
Seconded. I was hanging out at my favorite independent shop whining that I was having a hard time getting brake rotors for my Aprilia through the dealer, who said "hey, it's exotic, you have to expect these things."

Thirty minutes after I left, she called me up- "I found a set, can get them here by tomorrow; I can only get you 15% off what the dealer wanted for them, though." Note that I didn't even ask her to look- she just did.

I used the 15% discount to buy the entire shop lunch.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote