Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #91
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
ok, i'll pick up some roadkill coming over the hill, we'll be needin' somethin' for the grill. if more than day-old, we can marinade it in Mountain Dew, add some Texas Pete. if i find something big, i'll call ahead, y'all can invite the neighbors.
I do believe you've seen this here movie before. Thanks again for a great report!
Old 08-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #92
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardSon View Post
I do believe you've seen this here movie before. Thanks again for a great report!
that movie was filmed in Kentucky. God loves a state where the Division of Tourism promotes distillery tours.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #93
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
Thumb

Quote:
ok, i'll pick up some roadkill coming over the hill, we'll be needin' somethin' for the grill. if more than day-old, we can marinade it in Mountain Dew, add some Texas Pete. if i find something big, i'll call ahead, y'all can invite the neighbors.
Quote:
that movie was filmed in Kentucky. God loves a state where the Division of Tourism promotes distillery tours.
And a damn fine tour it is too....wife and I did the Bourbon Trail a month or two ago. Took a leisurely 3 days and enjoyed it a lot. Woodford Reserve and Makers Mark were killer for sure. The surprise was Heaven Hill...not a name I normally associate with fine bourbon. Come to find out, they market over 60 brands (Rip Van Winkle being one of them I think). At the end of their tour you are served two bourbons....one of which was an 18 yr. old single barrel Evan Williams! A pleasant surprise that was. really. tasty. There are 6 official distilleries on the Bourbon Trail...all basically within the triangle formed by Louisville, Lexington and Elizabethtown. Lots of pretty horse country and old towns. It was a fun way to squander a couple of days...and the wife was happy. There is a lot to be said for bourbon and strange motel rooms
Old 08-21-2012, 02:19 AM   #94
Mark_O
Drain Bamaged

Oddometer: 15,665
I like your style. Very entertaining ride report.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #95
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardSon View Post
And a damn fine tour it is too....wife and I did the Bourbon Trail a month or two ago. Took a leisurely 3 days and enjoyed it a lot. Woodford Reserve and Makers Mark were killer for sure. The surprise was Heaven Hill...not a name I normally associate with fine bourbon. Come to find out, they market over 60 brands (Rip Van Winkle being one of them I think). At the end of their tour you are served two bourbons....one of which was an 18 yr. old single barrel Evan Williams! A pleasant surprise that was. really. tasty. There are 6 official distilleries on the Bourbon Trail...all basically within the triangle formed by Louisville, Lexington and Elizabethtown. Lots of pretty horse country and old towns. It was a fun way to squander a couple of days...and the wife was happy. There is a lot to be said for bourbon and strange motel rooms
Van Winkle Reserve comes out of the Buffalo Trace distillery over in Frankfort, $60 a shot if you can find it at your local tavern. so, if you happen to see someone, maybe an Ivy League fella by the school tie, and notoriously dull in conversation as well as all things South, attempt to make a "cocktail" using Van Winkle Reserve, just remind him he's standing in Kentucky...certain crimes are still a hangin' offense.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #96
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_O View Post
I like your style. Very entertaining ride report.
thanks, i wish i had the time to write up everything i had in my notes, but in the end, it's probably best. wordy ride reports ain't for everyone. i could save some words if i took more photos, but there are so many instances where i can't get the camera out for the shot.

...as in the young couple kissing, "You look exactly like brother and sister, mind if i take a photo for my report?"
Old 08-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #97
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,326
I have a few pages of catching up to do.Hope work can wait.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #98
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecreek View Post
I have a few pages of catching up to do.Hope work can wait.
work can always wait for a Catherder, enjoy.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #99
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Coming Soon To A Thread Near You-

August 2012...The George Dubya

Ready to ride, the V649 pointed Northwest.

(to be continued...)
Old 08-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #100
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,556
Awesome!!!

Quote:
Coming Soon To A Thread Near You-

August 2012...The George Dubya

Ready to ride, the V649 pointed Northwest.

(to be continued...)
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:33 AM   #101
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
Awesome!!!
hey jack, saw some of your moto amigos from the CDR out at Catherders, scotty had the cowboy hat...must mean he wants a return trip.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #102
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

AUGUST 2012: THE GEORGE DUBYA

Saturday, August 25, 197
miles

The bike was prepped and packed, sitting outside, nose pointed the right direction, but rain had been pounding on the roof since 5AM, not just a little either. This was a full blown gale, the day was a lady dressed in funeral black, not a hint of comfort, not a hint of light anywhere. I was headed west to a Catherder campout in the Shenandoah, 200 miles, sorry ain’t going to fire up the rat in a 2” an hour rain and 40MPH winds, might get a sniffle.

Weather radar was up, no breaks, but I could afford some time to wait it out, miss the group ride, and still make the party later. Hold that thought, rain coming down sideways, phone rings, now I had a meeting at the office for 5PM…the other party might be as early as 4:30. Do the math, that schedule had me crossing the mountain around 10PM, won’t work, and I unpacked the bike, no campout for me.

Instead, I was now riding to Winchester for a birthday party, might see some Catherders Sunday. Switched some things to a tail bag, over to the office just as the rain quits, ready for my meeting.

The early meeting time came and went, so I was on the phone at 5 just to see if the guy was getting close, might be able to run the first hundred miles in daylight. “I’m running a little late”, and when he described where he was, some snail slow back road route, I realized I was looking at a 6:30 meeting on Saturday night, the reward for be accommodating. I hate late.

Hour and a half to kill, checked the TV radar, clearing to the west a little, good, and when I walked back outside it was raining again, threatening clouds scudding across the sky from the southwest.

I had never noticed that my business neighbor’s repeater tower was not plumb until I tried to get a good cloud photo, at least I’m not in the catastrophic failure fall zone, about the only bright spot today. No, the bright spot was that I didn’t have a 9mm CC with me, might have shot some fool for being two hours late. Not really, probably quit after a few near miss shots, no blood, but I was getting more agitated by the second, and started checking around the shop for that spare axe handle, another fifteen minutes, then I was looking for a chainsaw.

“Sorry I’m late”, ya ya, don’t worry about it, because this was going to be a short meeting, our first, last, and only, thanks, goodbye, have a good trip home, and I locked up the office at 7 freakin’ PM. I never bothered to give him a business card, sorry, if ya happened to look like Johnny Cash having a damn bad day and had a cranial cavity filled with swamp water, we ain’t likely to be doin’ any bidness. All in all, it was one of those cluster things, a heck of a way to start a trip, even a short one.

(to be continued...)
Old 09-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #103
wvboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
I've had those days
Old 09-02-2012, 02:11 AM   #104
ElinzDog
Elinz Electronics

Oddometer: 2
Today there’s a new BMW sedan behind me, diplomatic plates or something, anyway, they ain’t from the YU-ESS-OFA. French Guyana, I guess, or at least that’s what the sticker on the window said. I don’t think they’re going to the Beach for a tan, could be the taffy. Might be diplomats, so I’ll be diplomatic and say the lady driver was big boned…that’s super secret international spy code for say, four hundred pounds.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:41 AM   #105
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvboy View Post
I've had those days
the day ain't over yet, stay tuned.