User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
zenduddhist OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
1995 BMW R100GS or R100GS PD?

I am looking at a 1995 R100GS PD. From a collectible, resale, desirablity standpoint, is the R100GS or R100GS PD more desirable? I am just curious in the opinions of the collective.

Another question: If both bikes were availalbe in the same color, same mileage, same condition, same price, etc., which one would you choose, the regular GS or the GS PD, and why?

Thanks,

Chris
1974 Vespa Rally 200
1975 Norton Commando 850
1980 Vespa P200e
2010 Triumph T-100 w/sidecar
2011 BMW R1200RT
2013 Honda CB1100
2013 Vespa GTV300E
zenduddhist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,333
GS PD is perhaps more desirable

I would pick the GS as I do ride off-road and don't need the extra 4 gallons (or whatever it is) as ~175-200 mile range is plenty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 389
Laugh Pd --

Well if you plan to buy one and store for the next 30 years as a collectible then get the PD version of the GS!!!
The PD version should bring a few more $$$ in 30 years.

Now if you want something to ride. Where do you live??? If the closet gas station in 300 miles get the PD.

The PD will always be worth more $$$ if a comparable GS and PD are available. It's like buying a car with the all the options the extra $$$$ you pay for options will make resale value higher according to KBB.

My take on this is the more options the more stuff to break!!!

The PD looks cool but that big tank gets in the way for most use
Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post
GS PD is perhaps more desirable

I would pick the GS as I do ride off-road and don't need the extra 4 gallons (or whatever it is) as ~175-200 mile range is plenty

yeah what he said.... But this is coming from two guys with 43L gas tanks...
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,199
I'd go for the GSPD. The glove box on the tank is really handy. It's a plastic tank so it won't dent or rust and is pretty indestructable. The luggage rack on the GSPDs is also huge. Only change I'd make is to the shape of the solo seat to allow a little more scooting around. If you go for the GS, I'd get the naked '88 or '89. The post '90 models just look bad to my eye. Too big a fairing with too small a tank. The GSPDs have a good balance to them.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,650
It makes sense that the more rare more expensive from new bike would most likely be worth more in the long term.
So with that the gspd is the bike. But in practice there's a lot to be said for the lighter gs. Especially if you ride off road.

On road there's a lot to be said for the bigger tank.

But if your are thinking resale value it's most likely not going to be used off road so I'd say get the pd and don't look back. Besides if you find the you don't like it you could sell it or trade it for a gs.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
erappaport
pray for rain

Oddometer: 253
These two models are similar enough that I'd fall in with those who suggest buying the best example of either that you can find/afford. This said, I had a couple of standard GS's, an 89 and a 91, and will offer what I can..

Very close to the same bike, the 90-94 bikes had the little fairing which I wound up liking.. there's a built-in tach, and a small dash that allows for cleaner installation of switchgear if you have heated grips or the like. These bikes had marginally better brakes, with a drilled floating front disc, though none of the airhead GS family are famous for stopping power.

Similarly, the later bikes had an adjustable rear shock, but most with the money would go for a suspension upgrade anyway. This is the bike they call the gummy cow, after all..

I always thought the PD looked cool, and probably would have bought one given the right opportunity. My local BMW wrench/dealer at the time said that the PD's tended to run hotter due to the large tank and high fender, (less flow reaching the block) and were hard on chassis electrics, particularly diode boards. He also felt that they were more prone to the driveshaft failure that bothers all of these bikes, but have not heard that substantiated elsewhere.

And I wouldn't call any of these bikes pretty, except in a swiss-army-kinife sort of way. They came in some pretty outlandish color schemes, particularly the PD. See if you can find the pink-white-teal combo with the treadmarks on the tank.
erappaport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
akabeton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
GS or GSPD

Both are great bikes, and either would serve you well.

I bought a 1995 GSPD, I am thoroughly delighted and would go as far to say " charmed " by the bike.
I didn't buy it as an investment, other than it being an investment in my " future happiness"
I intend to use the bike as much as possible, and take it to places that it was made to go to. Which will probably result in a scratch and a bang every now and then, if my recent trip to The Kooteneys is anything to go by.
I don't know what this may do for it's long term value, and quite honestly I don't really care. I'll be sticking with this bike for the long haul, caring for it when needed, and sharing with it some great experiences.
That is enough of a return on my investment.

Take the plunge, you will not regret it, but whatever you do, don't forget to enjoy the bike.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,428
I'm pretty sure in 1995, only the PD was available,,,,called the Classic. If I'm proven wrong, the PD is the one to get strickly on a collectability standpoint. As for usability, I've had both, and the GS is a better bike all round, only because when the PD tank is full, the bike and the rider definitely can feel negative-ness, slow handling, top heavy,,,just weight penalty characteristics.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #10
Pica Hudsonia
Super-dupergenius

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
As for usability, I've had both, and the GS is a better bike all round, only because when the PD tank is full, the bike and the rider definitely can feel negative-ness, slow handling, top heavy,,,just weight penalty characteristics.
I see your point, but keep in mind that big tank doesn't have to be filled. Just because it will hold 9 gallons doesn't mean you can't stop at 4 or 5 when you want less weight and don't need long range. It's much easier to do this than to find places for carrying extra fuel on a GS on those rare occasions when you anticipate 300+ miles between filling stations.
Pica Hudsonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,729
PD every time for me. If you buy the standard machine you will suffer with PD envy until you finally bite the bullet and get one. And yes they are a better bike
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
PD every time for me. If you buy the standard machine you will suffer with PD envy until you finally bite the bullet and get one. And yes they are a better bike

Be honest,,it's the same bike. Surely you understand that the bodywork swaps over, everything else is the same. And PD envy, ok, some will do this,,,hence my view that they have a better collectability advantage.
Better bike? Trying to press buttons,,,,,,
Old 08-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #13
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
Be honest,,it's the same bike. Surely you understand that the bodywork swaps over, everything else is the same. And PD envy, ok, some will do this,,,hence my view that they have a better collectability advantage.
Better bike? Trying to press buttons,,,,,,
I know it's the same bike Steve. But for some strange reason they do ride better, maybe it's the extra few pounds of weight...or maybe it's just the self satisfaction that come from having a PD model.

They're worth having just for the lunch box in the tank. Best bit about the bike.

I take it you have the poor mans standard machine
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:33 PM   #14
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
I know it's the same bike Steve. But for some strange reason they do ride better, maybe it's the extra few pounds of weight...or maybe it's just the self satisfaction that come from having a PD model.

They're worth having just for the lunch box in the tank. Best bit about the bike.

I take it you have the poor mans standard machine

Yes, I have the poor man's version, bought new in Mar 1991. I think if you look at my current garage inventory, you could surmise I have the ability to have either or both. In fact I did have both at the same time,,,,I just found the standard GS, back to back, handles better on the street, and especially!!!! off road.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #15
WacoDirtryder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
If your going to collect it the PD if your going to ride it you cant beat the old 88,89 GS its a lot more fun and you can stand up and ride it like a dirt bike without that big ass tank and fairing in the way.
WacoDirtryder is offline   Reply With Quote