Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
nicola_a OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Melbourne to Perth - advice?

Hi ADVers!,

So I am thinking of doing a long distance ride around my home country of Australia in preparation for an overseas trip. New rider so want to get miles up, see what it's like doing long days in the saddle etc. I'm based in Melbourne so was thinking of perhaps Melbourne to Perth, or a big long coastal + inland loop of VIC and NSW.

I have a VTR250 ('02)... pretty keen to do it on this bike as I'll only have a little bike on my overseas trip as well. From what I can research, sounds like luggage bags are a bit of a pain on the VTR - anyone got a tried and tested solution to being able to carry stuff for a long trip?

For my trip overseas I will probably be camping 'wild' and would love to try that out but it could be tricky in Australia and that's not really the 'done' thing. Anyone got any thoughts on this aspect as well?

Melbourne to Perth I would do a coastal route similar to this one (http://www.bikeroundoz.com/self_guid...melb-perth.asp) ... I want a route that is attractive and not too cold which is why I might be leaning more towards a VIC/NSW loop in the summer/autumn.

:)
nicola_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:53 AM   #2
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,108
I did Europe to Oz with my girlfriend in six months (2007-2008). The last part was from Perth to Sydney via Esperance, Adelaide, Melbourne (and finally we made a detour north, to Rockhampton and Brisbane, before following the east coast to Sydney). We only had about 5 weeks left for all of Oz, as we had some stuff to do back home at a certain time, so we needed to go back. This is why we mainly stayed on the highways.

Would have been more interesting to do some of the outback routes for sure, but they´ll take much more time and planning. To be honest, we were a bit tired of travelling after +25000 kms, so we really felt like taking it easy during that final bit! The Eyre Highway sure is one long, straight and boring road, will be even more so, if you´re on a 250!

We weren´t camping on our trip (was too cold, when we left Europe, and very cheap accommodation all around Asia, so we didn´t carry the tent at all!)... but Australia was one place, where we thought it would have been useful to have that equipment with us. Accommodation, especially when crossing the Nullarbor, was expensive.

If you free-camp, I think it´s a good idea to ride a bit away from the road, so you can´t be easily spotted from there. The insects, spiders and snakes are of course something to be aware of, when you´re out in the wild. In Nullarbor, I think the roadhouses also had camping options.

Pecha72 screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 05:03 AM
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:09 AM   #3
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,283
Soft panniers

If you add a rear carrier rack and a metal strut down to the area where the subframe joins the main frame near the foot peg area, then you can hang soft pannier bags to store your gear. Add a duffle bag over the rear rack and you could carry quite a bit of stuff. The are lots of threads on ADVrider discussing what to carry, but avoid overloading the bike.

If there are'nt any side struts to fit your bike, any good metal worker could make them. They only have to stop the panniers from touching the rear wheel.

Check out Andy Strapz or Steel Pony or Adventure moto websites.

Bike choice: for use on secondary/gravel roads a trail bike will be easier to control. Suzuki DRZ250 or example. Tough and simple. $4K will buy a good second hand one.
XRman is online now   Reply With Quote