ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 02:23 AM   #901
Jeff4155
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Oddometer: 18
Stupid Q nr ....... Is the Lava Orange colour of the 800 GS only for 2010 models? I love the colour, but would prefer a new model
Jeff4155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #902
RexBuck
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Interior BC, Canada
Oddometer: 1,004
Available on the 2011's also. The fastest color BMW offers . . .
__________________
www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
Information on travelling in Latin America.
Includes links to ride reports to Mexico and to South America
RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #903
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Oddometer: 278
The F800GS is too tall for me to take OFF the center stand the way I would on my Yamaha FZ6 (i.e. sit on it and scootch forward). I need to grab the rear luggage hand and the handlebar, put down the side stand and push it off the center stand. ALways freaks me out a little, though if it "falls" it's going to land on the side-stand and not dall.
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #904
Hookapelli
Adventure-Junkie
 
Hookapelli's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Augusta, GA
Oddometer: 2,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by peripateo View Post
They say max load 715 lbs at 42 psi cold.

Anyway, is there a trick to getting the bike up on the BMW center stand? Or am I just that weak?
Took me a bit to get it down to an art, but it's a pretty fluid motion now.

I can tell the difference between a full and empty tank- that's for sure.

Anyone masted the center stand take off yet... I saw a buddy do it once- was kind of awesome.
__________________
I got nothin'....
Hookapelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #905
peripateo
Adventurer
 
peripateo's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Tri-Cities, TN
Oddometer: 45
Yeah, that's much easier when you have both sides of the center stand touching! Got it and thanks for the advice.
peripateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:44 AM   #906
CaliKarl
Studly Adventurer
 
CaliKarl's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Kickin' it by the beach
Oddometer: 573
I'm having trouble keeping pressure in my front brake. Changed the fluid 250 miles ago, which got the pressure back, but it's gone again. I'm guessing it's because the cap won't completely close; won't 'click' into place. Does this sound right? It's not leaking, but rather, not 'locked in'. My reservoir, and guard, took a big hit 2 months ago. No damage was done; at least nothing visible. Thanks.
__________________
"being alive is a crock of shit" - Kilgore Trout
CaliKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:12 AM   #907
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv
 
Loutre's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Reaver's Heart :o)
Oddometer: 3,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexBuck View Post
Available on the 2011's also. The fastest color BMW offers . . .
I agree with that very nice color indeed
__________________
Keep the smile on your face!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post


Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #908
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer
 
4TooMany's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Ann Arbor
Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKarl View Post
I'm guessing it's because the cap won't completely close; won't 'click' into place. Does this sound right?
I'm not sure what you mean by "pressure" in the front brake, but the cap on the reservoir doesn't affect it. Assuming you're talking about the cap on the reservoir on the handlebars. That cap just keeps the fluid from spilling out, the reservoir itself isn't pressurized.

Perhaps you mean the brakes are feeling "spongy"? That's usually a sign of air in the brake lines, but as long as you bled them properly when you changed the fluid, that shouldn't be happening.

Brakes (especially the front) aren't something to leave to chance. It sounds to me like the best bet is to have your dealer take a look. Or at least someone who's more versed in braking systems.
__________________
MSF RiderCoach
2012 BMW F800GS Trophy
2011 Suzuki DRZ-400S
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #909
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 4,199
If this is an ABS-equipted bike there are two bleed screws - on on the caliper and one on the master cylinder.
It is sometimes difficult to get all the air out of the system.

Some folks have reported that tying the front brake lever in overnight helps
(tying it in the position it is in when you apply the brakes)
JRWooden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #910
CaliKarl
Studly Adventurer
 
CaliKarl's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Kickin' it by the beach
Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
If this is an ABS-equipted bike there are two bleed screws - on on the caliper and one on the master cylinder.
It is sometimes difficult to get all the air out of the system.

Some folks have reported that tying the front brake lever in overnight helps
(tying it in the position it is in when you apply the brakes)
Thanks for the advice. After bleeding the brake fluid, through the two on the calipers, the brakes were strong and the lever firm. Now, spongy again. So that implies air is getting in somewhere, right?
__________________
"being alive is a crock of shit" - Kilgore Trout
CaliKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #911
CaliKarl
Studly Adventurer
 
CaliKarl's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Kickin' it by the beach
Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TooMany View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "pressure" in the front brake, but the cap on the reservoir doesn't affect it. Assuming you're talking about the cap on the reservoir on the handlebars. That cap just keeps the fluid from spilling out, the reservoir itself isn't pressurized.

Perhaps you mean the brakes are feeling "spongy"? That's usually a sign of air in the brake lines, but as long as you bled them properly when you changed the fluid, that shouldn't be happening.

Brakes (especially the front) aren't something to leave to chance. It sounds to me like the best bet is to have your dealer take a look. Or at least someone who's more versed in braking systems.
Shouldn't be happening, but is. Perhaps my bleed screws aren't tight enough? I didn't want to pound on 'em too hard. I'll flush it again and see what happens. The bleed screw, the baby one, by the reservoir won't open on my bike - damaged.
__________________
"being alive is a crock of shit" - Kilgore Trout
CaliKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #912
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer
 
4TooMany's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Ann Arbor
Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKarl View Post
Shouldn't be happening, but is. Perhaps my bleed screws aren't tight enough? I didn't want to pound on 'em too hard. I'll flush it again and see what happens. The bleed screw, the baby one, by the reservoir won't open on my bike - damaged.
It's possible that's the problem. There may be air trapped there that won't bleed out through the nipple on the caliper. Though it seems curious then that it gets better when you bleed the brakes then worse again.
__________________
MSF RiderCoach
2012 BMW F800GS Trophy
2011 Suzuki DRZ-400S
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #913
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TooMany View Post
It's possible that's the problem. There may be air trapped there that won't bleed out through the nipple on the caliper. Though it seems curious then that it gets better when you bleed the brakes then worse again.
+1 I think ...
If BMW didn't think that extra bleed screw was needed they would not have put it there...

I've not seen a "twin" that without ABS installed,
but on at least other BMWs the non-ABS bikes do NOT have a bleed screw on the master cylinder ...
just the one on the caliper ......... so there is something going on there ...

Try tying in the lever overnight ... you've got nothing to loose there ...???

Otherwise you might need to take the master cylinder off and get it to a machine shop?
A good shop should be able to remove the busted bleed screw.
If you decide to go that route I'd buy/take a new bleed screw with you that way the machinist will have the dimensions of the replacement part which may help him/her select the most correct EZ-out or whatever their tool of choice would be...
JRWooden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #914
CaliKarl
Studly Adventurer
 
CaliKarl's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Kickin' it by the beach
Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
+1 I think ...
If BMW didn't think that extra bleed screw was needed they would not have put it there...

I've not seen a "twin" that without ABS installed,
but on at least other BMWs the non-ABS bikes do NOT have a bleed screw on the master cylinder ...
just the one on the caliper ......... so there is something going on there ...

Try tying in the lever overnight ... you've got nothing to loose there ...???

Otherwise you might need to take the master cylinder off and get it to a machine shop?
A good shop should be able to remove the busted bleed screw.
If you decide to go that route I'd buy/take a new bleed screw with you that way the machinist will have the dimensions of the replacement part which may help him/her select the most correct EZ-out or whatever their tool of choice would be...
Guess what: I zip-tied the lever overnight as you suggested, and the brakes are back to normal. But, a big butt, they are quickly getting diluted, spongy and weak again. So air is getting in somewhere, correct? And by zip-tying it, it expunges that air. Let me know how to proceed. Cannot take it to a dealer; not for a month or so, at least. Thanks all.

To JRWooden: Going to Westwood now, on the GS. Playing tennis at the stadium courts.
__________________
"being alive is a crock of shit" - Kilgore Trout
CaliKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:50 AM   #915
CaliKarl
Studly Adventurer
 
CaliKarl's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Kickin' it by the beach
Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKarl View Post
Guess what: I zip-tied the lever overnight as you suggested, and the brakes are back to normal. But, a big butt, they are quickly getting diluted, spongy and weak again. So air is getting in somewhere, correct? And by zip-tying it, it expunges that air. Let me know how to proceed. Cannot take it to a dealer; not for a month or so, at least. Thanks all.

To JRWooden: Going to Westwood now, on the GS. Playing tennis at the stadium courts.
Hmmm....
__________________
"being alive is a crock of shit" - Kilgore Trout
CaliKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014