ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #46
Navin
Unwounding
 
Navin's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 6,591


Where did I say I hated any of these bikes? I've recently owned a KLX140 and two foo foo 250s and will most likely buy another base 250 very soon.

Unwad the panties boys!

GGamster, I didn't intend for any of my comments to turn this thead into the gutter. Knowing your riding resume helps readers understand what your opinions are formed from.

Great bike for the money, maybe? Lets see after guys finalize the bill with new shocks, exhausts and fork mods. Will it equal a WR250R? Might, but it'll still be alot heavier if matched mod for mod. May cost more by then too.

Comments about hard core "brutal" riding should be used with caution. Someone might call you on it.
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #47
78_XL125
Adventurer
 
78_XL125's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: (Northern/GB) Wisconsin
Oddometer: 18
@ Navin... this thread is not about KTM. Pleas take your comments else where! You have brought nothing but negative comments and have not contributing anything worth posting. If you don't care for these machines since they are not up to your standards then please keep your comments to yourself. Why not just let the people who ARE interested in knowing what the bikes are capable of have this thread.

You have just been talking crap!

"serious machine"-Navin ...."sounds like orange envy?"-Navin

...No! we just want to hear about what these two little bikes can do. You said the WRR is not up to your standards and riding style, then let it be and go find something that will. The guy bought two bikes for more than one KTM because he wanted to try both bikes. That was his choice and he said he didnt need an expensive KTM to have fun, so let it be! Some of us would like to hear what the man has to say, and not have a bunch of static from thugs like you.

The guy know how to ride and should not have to prove himself for you, I currently ride a 78 xl125 and I could tell you 10 reasons why its better than your KTM, but that is not what this thread is about and I am not going to go to the KTM thread to tell you about them because you would be ticked off that I am pissing on your thread!
78_XL125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #48
joec63
Gnarly Adventurer
 
joec63's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Olmsted Twnshp, OH
Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post


Comments about hard core "brutal" riding should be used with caution. Someone might call you on it.

A little over the top, no? Are you going to go and watch the guy ride to verify it meets your definition of burtal riding?
__________________
________
Semper Fi
joec63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #49
Navin
Unwounding
 
Navin's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 6,591
Be happy to! I'll guide the ride in fact! But if it does his engine will be toasted with 3k mile oil changes.

QUOTE=Navin;19398146]A Z50 can be a laugh riot too, doesn't make it a serious machine! [/QUOTE]

And my "orange envy" comment was a joke to explodee when he started weiner measuring jokes.

Quoting out of context belongs in the basement.

Go back to drooling over the bikes guys. I never meant this to get derailed. Ggamster, my apologies if my comments prompted these ankle biters and caused their mighty 125-250cc fury to be unleashed!
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #50
joec63
Gnarly Adventurer
 
joec63's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Olmsted Twnshp, OH
Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post

Go back to drooling over the bikes guys. I never meant this to get derailed. Ggamster, my apologies if my comments prompted these ankle biters and caused their mighty 125-250cc fury to be unleashed!

Well, we can't all own a KTM. If we did you wouldn't be able to look down from that perch
__________________
________
Semper Fi
joec63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #51
Navin
Unwounding
 
Navin's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 6,591
I have/do own these budget bikes and will own more in the future, the only complex is the one you suffer from buddy.
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #52
Northwoods Yeti
Almost house broken
 
Northwoods Yeti's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: La-X
Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
I have/do own these budget bikes and will own more in the future, the only complex is the one you suffer from buddy.
Ah fer the love of....Just knock it off!

You didn't mean to but yes you de-railed this thread. Please type less and read more so this thread can stay on topic: WR250R and CRF250L side by side comparisons.



Thank you
Northwoods Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #53
TALLGUY
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TALLGUY's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: IOWA
Oddometer: 420
Thanks to GGAMSTER for this great comparo

Your review has been very helpful and much appreciated.

TG
__________________
Who are you, Ernest Hemingway?- Campari
Nobody pretends to be from Iowa.- WaterWheel
TALLGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #54
Off the grid
Chaotic Good
 
Off the grid's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: That buzzing in your earhole, NorCal.
Oddometer: 9,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggamster View Post

This leads me to the KTM guy. Are you kidding. KTM hasn't released a bike that I would call reliable in the last ten years.
See it's bullshit like this that draws my ire. Blatantly false and slanderous. Some noob will read this drivel, buy another heavy, shitty Japanese bike and throw thousands at it trying to make it better.

Don't post irresponsible shit and you won't get the dog-pile.

There's a reason why well over 50% of the bikes at any off-road event, organized or casual, are orange.
__________________
Wedding(s) = $30,000
Divorce(s) = $25,000
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS = Priceless
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #55
Dexter2811
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dexter2811's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Buenos Aires, ARG.
Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
See it's bullshit like this that draws my ire. Blatantly false and slanderous. Some noob will read this drivel, buy another heavy, shitty Japanese bike and throw thousands at it trying to make it better.

Don't post irresponsible shit and you won't get the dog-pile.

There's a reason why well over 50% of the bikes at any off-road event, organized or casual, are orange.
Yup, cause they are RACING machines, which makes them not reliable to a DS usage...
__________________
2010 NX4 Falcon, 440cc Wiseco Big Bore, Stage II Hotcams, XR400R clutch, XR600 40mm Mikuni carb, MX handlebar (Wirtz), Custom exhaust.
Dexter2811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #56
Off the grid
Chaotic Good
 
Off the grid's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: That buzzing in your earhole, NorCal.
Oddometer: 9,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter2811 View Post
Yup, cause they are RACING machines, which makes them not reliable to a DS usage...
Again, you are talking out of your ass. Stop embarrassing yourself.
__________________
Wedding(s) = $30,000
Divorce(s) = $25,000
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS = Priceless
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #57
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer
 
jon_l's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Collingwood, Ontario
Oddometer: 2,728
I hate that ggamster, the OP, has apparently quit posting in the thread he started for his 2 bike comparison, possibly because of you kids fighting about whether KTMs are the best thing since sliced bread, or unreliable junk.

Please leave that argument out of this thread, and let ggamster continue to comment on the CRFL and WRR.
__________________
'09 Honda CBF1000; '09 Yamaha WR250R
jon_l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #58
Dirtgrain
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dirtgrain's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Please leave that argument out of this thread, and let ggamster continue to comment on the CRFL and WRR.
Yes. I would appreciate more insights from Ggmaster as they come.
__________________
Don't laugh at my mule: http://new.wavlist.com/movies/176/afd-mule.wav
Dirtgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #59
rsteiger
Bob
 
rsteiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Hotlanta Area
Oddometer: 157
So.. all the bickering aside.. I have a question. First a little background.

Right now I own a DL650, DR650, and a KTM 450 EXC.

I take the DL on long rides and use it like a pickup truck around town. Most of the time it sees street duty but I do get some of the occasional forest service and dirt road miles on it.

I take my DR on long DS rides. It is nicely setup for me. I took it this year on a 1900 mile trip on the TaT from TN to Mississippi Hill Country and back. Enjoy riding the bike - loaded and unloaded.

Picked up my KTM 450 EXC on a trade for a VFR750 that was going to land me in jail some day.... just could not keep that thing under the speed limit. Had to do a little work on the KTM and it was a bit frustrating at first, mainly because I have not owned one before, but I really like how they build the bike and how you can pretty much use one wrench to take it apart. Right now I would take my KTM out on DS rides where we are usually camping in one spot and exploring the area. I would trailer it to the spot since the maintenance intervals are short and I don't want to waste the hours on the highway getting to where we are riding. That and I don't think I can use it like a pack mule in the same manner that I use the DR on the long DS rides. Been thinking about doing an easy enduro on it but the last time I did one of those was over 30 years ago so I am still thinking about it.

Now to the question...

I have found that with three bikes I just do not get around to riding them all enough and usually one sits for long periods of time which usually means I end up performing some additional work on one or another at times. So I have been thinking about picking up the WRR and selling the DR and KTM. I do not consider myself a hard core aggressive rider but I have been known to roost a few people. I am 6' tall and weigh 250.

Do you think that the WRR will be enough bike to haul my big but down the highway like my DR650 does when I am riding to a weekend DS ride?

Personally I struggle with the whole trailer the bike thing.. I mean I bought them to ride right. Thoughts?
__________________
2012 WR250R
2010 Beta 520 RR
2009 DL650
2001 GasGas XC250
rsteiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #60
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer
 
jon_l's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Collingwood, Ontario
Oddometer: 2,728
You have a nice range of bikes there. I have owned 2 of them (Suzukis)

3 bikes will always be better focused than 2, which of course beats 1. Given the fine stable you have seems a shame to sell any of them.

I just sold my DR650 and bought the WR250R in mid June. I am 5'11, 225 lbs, and the WR250R moves along just fine. I have not yet loaded it up with camping gear, nor have I ridden at sustained highways speed, the most I have done is ~ 70 mph (indicated) for ~ 45 minutes, and it did fine for what it is (not as good as the DR or DL). Certainly it is down on power compared to the DR, but it has enough for me, and it sure is lighter. I am expecting it will be much better off-road, though I haven't done any yet, just getting protection sorted out. I have time off in Sept and I plan to play more then.

Good luck with your decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsteiger View Post
So.. all the bickering aside.. I have a question. First a little background.

Right now I own a DL650, DR650, and a KTM 450 EXC.

I take the DL on long rides and use it like a pickup truck around town. Most of the time it sees street duty but I do get some of the occasional forest service and dirt road miles on it.

I take my DR on long DS rides. It is nicely setup for me. I took it this year on a 1900 mile trip on the TaT from TN to Mississippi Hill Country and back. Enjoy riding the bike - loaded and unloaded.

Picked up my KTM 450 EXC on a trade for a VFR750 that was going to land me in jail some day.... just could not keep that thing under the speed limit. Had to do a little work on the KTM and it was a bit frustrating at first, mainly because I have not owned one before, but I really like how they build the bike and how you can pretty much use one wrench to take it apart. Right now I would take my KTM out on DS rides where we are usually camping in one spot and exploring the area. I would trailer it to the spot since the maintenance intervals are short and I don't want to waste the hours on the highway getting to where we are riding. That and I don't think I can use it like a pack mule in the same manner that I use the DR on the long DS rides. Been thinking about doing an easy enduro on it but the last time I did one of those was over 30 years ago so I am still thinking about it.

Now to the question...

I have found that with three bikes I just do not get around to riding them all enough and usually one sits for long periods of time which usually means I end up performing some additional work on one or another at times. So I have been thinking about picking up the WRR and selling the DR and KTM. I do not consider myself a hard core aggressive rider but I have been known to roost a few people. I am 6' tall and weigh 250.

Do you think that the WRR will be enough bike to haul my big but down the highway like my DR650 does when I am riding to a weekend DS ride?

Personally I struggle with the whole trailer the bike thing.. I mean I bought them to ride right. Thoughts?
__________________
'09 Honda CBF1000; '09 Yamaha WR250R
jon_l is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014