User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #106
Englishmatt OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
BIKE IS BACK!!!!!

4 weeks later, new FD installed, 40 miles under it's belt and it's not leaking.

Working with BMW on the "other stuff" but so far, they have been very proactive, very accomodating and the process has been exactly what the BMW brand should represent.

The reason it took 4 weeks is because the dealer ordered all the individual parts that failed. During that time, BMW authorized replacement of the entire unit so they had to order that part and wait for it. Once the part arrived as a complete assembly, the bike was back the same day.

Could have been done in 2 weeks is what I'm saying...

Finally I have some closure to my trip.

Matt.

"I can't lead, I go too fast..." Scott Hinkle, 4/2010
Englishmatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #107
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post

Heavy duty pickups are a joke in this comparison. They're not designed to be light and around here they just have to carry their fat owners to the grocery store or school.

.....Or, to the topless bar or massage parlor!

Here isn Alabama, we are the second fattest state...I don't even want to know who's the fattest...I know it isn't me 'cause, my '01 GS FD is still nice and tight, no noise and no wobbles....and I do not use BMW's special formula, recommended GL-5...I use some stuff in a blue bottle labelled synthetic 75w-140 GL-5 to which I ad some moly....and I change it every 2-3 years.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #108
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,092
Saw your GS today/easy to tell it was in Alaska.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:17 PM   #109
Dark Helmet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Matt,

Glad you got it back, and to follow up on our discussion in my thread, heard today that the new model GS's may be sporting the same FD as the K1600's. It will definitely be a different FD though. Hopefully it will be salvation for the GS, but also hope that yours (and mine) do not have any future problems.

I am going to keep a postivie attitude because I really enjoy the bike. Hoping for the best.

L
Suzuki DRZ 400S
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:24 AM   #110
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Krupa View Post
Matt,

Glad you got it back, and to follow up on our discussion in my thread, heard today that the new model GS's may be sporting the same FD as the K1600's. It will definitely be a different FD though. Hopefully it will be salvation for the GS, but also hope that yours (and mine) do not have any future problems.

I am going to keep a postivie attitude because I really enjoy the bike. Hoping for the best.

L
Of course, this is operating on the assumption that the FD on the K16 is not problematic.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #111
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,256
I think both of you guys must have hit a bad spot in the road with the same impact and that started the damage rolling.

What else would explain two different model year bikes failing at the same time at different total mileage.

That road from Destruction Bay, YT to Tok, AK was screwy.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #112
turbojugend208
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
i have done mine twice now,, new bearing and seal first at 25,000 miles and just did it again at 54,000 miles i caught it early both times because i change the oil every 2,500 miles, i'll plan on doing it again at 75,000 as there seems to be a pattern... takes me about 4 hours while it's apart i also do the pivot bearings cost about $200.00 in parts... not sure what kind of miles people get with the chain and sprocket drive bikes but i'm ok with $200 bux every 25,000 miles.... until they do away with the single sided swingarm in my opinion they will keep failing
turbojugend208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #113
rstrandy
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Just lost the FD on my 05 GS at 16600 miles and ordered up a 2010 FD as a replacement. You have given me no confidence in my decision.
rstrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #114
farrell caesar
Seezer

Oddometer: 381
Fd

Two 1150gs. One I bought new with 42K FD is tired. Second gs, an 01 also is tired. This one 63K miles with 12k miles on 2nd rebuild. Maybe we should start a FD club with tech help to take the mystery expense and anguish out of this problem. It's always easier when you know what you're doing. Considered buying the tapered contact brg. but not sure if I am staying with BMW after 8 beemers and 40 yrs of riding. Triumph has some fun bikes which seem to me, have the potential to be less hassle to own. But like most BMW people I have spare bikes to ride in the mean time.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #115
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrell caesar View Post
Considered buying the tapered contact brg. but not sure if I am staying with BMW after 8 beemers and 40 yrs of riding.
Funny, after doing 10,000 miles up to Alaska and back I don't see any bike out there I would rather have than my GSA. They are man made machines that will break.

I saw a show about BMW cars recently. BMW has a sound engineer who is a Phd. He picks the sounds for warning signals etc on the cars. The Mini sounds have to sound cheaper than the BMW and the BMW sounds have to sound less elegant than the Rolls Royce. Another Phd designs the seats so the feel is just right. The janitor must get to design the motorcycle seats.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #116
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrandy View Post
Just lost the FD on my 05 GS at 16600 miles and ordered up a 2010 FD as a replacement. You have given me no confidence in my decision.
I don't think the 2010 FD is going to work with your ABS/wheel speed sensor on the 2005,......that's the real problem here
Old 08-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #117
Disco Dean
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Dude View Post
I don't think the 2010 FD is going to work with your ABS/wheel speed sensor on the 2005,......that's the real problem here
Absolutely right - It won't work at all.

They have updated the units (again) now and you can only buy the complete unit but you must by the unit for the bike not a 2010... send it back.

As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?
Disco Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #118
def
I've little to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
Why not read the loading label on the machine instead making a big fuss?
And, determine if the load exceeds the tire manufacturers limits on the sidewalls.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #119
def
I've little to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
I saw a show about BMW cars recently. BMW has a sound engineer who is a Phd. He picks the sounds for warning signals etc on the cars. The Mini sounds have to sound cheaper than the BMW and the BMW sounds have to sound less elegant than the Rolls Royce. Another Phd designs the seats so the feel is just right. The janitor must get to design the motorcycle seats.
No, the janitor gets to ride a Harley to and from the BMW plant.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #120
farrell caesar
Seezer

Oddometer: 381
Fd

Guy in the club on Alaska trip....08 gsa....37K miles. Lost FD. First dealer $700 rebuild...screwed it up. Then had to have bike towed 200 miles to Whitehorse. $800. Ordered new FD and drive shaft....$3000. Cost him close to $5k. He just traded it in on new GS. Optimism of a farmer. Plant the seed and hope like hell it thrives.