Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #46
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousef View Post
Very good point. Don't forget the massive tank which does a great job keeping the legs warm and dry.
Nice in the winter. Bad in the summer?

Personally, needing my legs to be warmer or drier has never been an issue for me. I mean, if it's wet out, I'm wearing waterproof gear, so I don't need my gas tank to keep my legs dry . If it's cold out, my legs are the last thing I worry about warming up. I have Widder Lectric chaps for when it's THAT cold, but the reality is I almost never wear them. Normally, the coldest conditions only require warm socks and long johns and my Lectric vest - maybe with the arm chaps.

Don't get me wrong. Would I like to have more fuel capacity? Sure. But do I NEED it. No. It seems like most of the reasons people always give for why somebody should get a GSA isntead of a GS are really just lame rationalizations - which do not make up for the extra 40+ pounds of weight. I don't see how it's better for taller people. The seat to peg distance is the same, right? The stock GSA windscreen and winglets give better wind protection than the stock GS screen, but that is easily and cheaply fixed without spending all the extra money for a GSA and then having all the extra weight to deal with. And even the extra ground clearance seems like more of a poser thing. If you're serious enough about offroading a GS to need that extra 1/2 inch of clearance, you're probably going to put on aftermarket suspension anyway, at which point the advantage of the stock GSA is moot.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #47
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
I don't see how it's better for taller people. The seat to peg distance is the same, right?
Nope. The stock GSA seat has about 1/2 inch more padding. maybe more.
I bought a used GSA seat for my GS when it was new and my knees really appreciated the little bit of extra leg room (34 inseam)
But both seats are uncomfortable to lotsa folks. The custom builders are the only way to get enough leg room for the long legged, and since the same seat fits both there's still no advantage to having a GSA. You get the "Mad Max" look and fuel range nobody needs, and things many people upgrade later anyway
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #48
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Have you considered the f800gs? Lighter, quicker, easier to manage if you do go off road and can go anywhere the 1200 can and then some.... just sayin'. And.. by the way, the Guzzi is a very nice bike. Good luck if you ever decide to sell it though....
LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #49
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,396
When I wear out my 1100gs I might consider a GSA. Problem is the 1100gs is so well built it'll last forever. A well sorted out 1100gs has to be one of the best bikes ever.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #50
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,387
The 1200s are nice, but I think a late model 1150 with the ABS/servo/linked brake nonsense removed is a better machine. Mechanically, they're very similar, but the simpler electrical system on the 1150 makes it easier to troubleshoot and fix. Additionally, the going price for an 1150 these days is in the $5k range, leaving lots of budget for suspension upgrades, aux lights and better luggage.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #51
Thunder Pig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Neither choice is about need. If everyone bought what they need it would be kind of dull. Everyone gets want they want. I had a Triumph Tiger 1050. It did what I needed it to do. got rid of it cause I wanted the Rallye GS, sure didn't need it but damn it looks fine! You don't have to have a reason to get a GS vs a GS Adventure just a want. I don't really care if someone else thinks I didn't the right bike for what I use it for. I do and that's all that matters. Buy what you want, ride it with a big grin on your face until you want something else. It's really that easy.

Back to our regularly scheduled program.
98 KTM 200EXC
99 Speed Triple, etc...
Thunder Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #52
Zeke013
Village Idiot

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGee View Post
Have you considered the f800gs? Lighter, quicker, easier to manage if you do go off road and can go anywhere the 1200 can and then some.... just sayin'. And.. by the way, the Guzzi is a very nice bike. Good luck if you ever decide to sell it though....
I did. Rode both.

The 800 had way worse highway performance, as far as buffeting and comfort. It also felt a little vague in the corners, perhaps due to the 21" front.

Didn't see myself banging out hyper mile trips on it. Partly due to the super narrow seat too.
Zeke013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #53
Arby60
Bluegrass Rider

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Pig View Post
Neither choice is about need. If everyone bought what they need it would be kind of dull. Everyone gets want they want. I had a Triumph Tiger 1050. It did what I needed it to do. got rid of it cause I wanted the Rallye GS, sure didn't need it but damn it looks fine! You don't have to have a reason to get a GS vs a GS Adventure just a want. I don't really care if someone else thinks I didn't the right bike for what I use it for. I do and that's all that matters. Buy what you want, ride it with a big grin on your face until you want something else. It's really that easy.

Back to our regularly scheduled program.
AMEN brother. Thank you for saying it. I've been hammered pretty hard lately for suggesting that I am seriously considering replacing my '08 GS with a 2012 GS Rallye Edition. I may not have entertained the idea if my buddy hadn't let me ride his 2012 Triple Black GS. That did it. I was very impressed with the performance, but I think the Rallye is easier on the eyes. I'm retired and I don't agree that logic necessarily rules my choices in bikes. I don't need a new bike but if the Rallye is what I decide on, I will have it.
Arby60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #54
azg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Iggster,

I have a '12 GSA. Have put only about 3500 miles on it so far. Sold my Road King. Selling my Wing. And sold my DRZ400. This bike is more comfortable than the Goldwing, it's more fun than the Roadking, and while not as nimble in the dirt as the DRZ, for moderate dirt riding - it's wonderful. There is no better single motorcycle on the market. End of story.
azg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #55
jd2577
The Boy Ruger

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post

Like this?
My question is... how does the rider of the second bicycle comfortably ride on the GS? That bar across the seat has got to hurt!
jd2577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #56
rattis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Thumb One bike to bind them

I'll never love my GSA, but I like it a lot
You needn't fill the tank full if you do't need (less weight) to but it's nice with the weather protection.
I got caught in a massive downpour the other day and only my gloves got wet.
I rode through the downpour faste than the cagers, can't auquaplane on a bike as easily , I hope
I'll certainly change my bike for another one as long as it's a GSA
Old 08-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #57
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,209
I have my choice of basically any one bike and...

I'll Take the GS for an all around bike (swiss army knife of bikes) anytime.

My 6th GS since 1992

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #58
Iggster OP
Tornanti über alles!

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by healeyblue View Post
You owe it to yourself to try a Moto Guzzi Stelvio. Beats the GS at its own game.
I just read a review of the Stelvio and it looks & sounds pretty badass. Not sure when they will be released in the US though?? I would like to see it in person and ride one.
Iggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #59
Iggster OP
Tornanti über alles!

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
I love my GSA. It takes me to exotic places. But lots of bikes would do that, maybe not quite as comfortably. Why does one bike have to "rule them all."
It's funny you say this. After a thorough test ride of the 2012 1200GS on Saturday, I am having serious second thoughts. I currently own a HD Road King (for touring) and a F650GS Twin (for commuting, day rides, canyon carving, etc). I'm realizing that I just might have the best of both worlds already...and maybe I don't need to downsize to "one bike to rule them all." Thanks for the opinions and info!!
Iggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #60
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggster View Post
I just read a review of the Stelvio and it looks & sounds pretty badass. Not sure when they will be released in the US though?? I would like to see it in person and ride one.
They've been here for at least 1 month....1 month ago I really was looking one over at the dealer. I think they look the part and the fit/finish/quality of build is top notch. Piaggio Group does a great job in that area, IMO.

Personally, I think they are worth a look. What I didn't like is the lack of dealer support. At least BMW has decent number of dealers and many many aftermarket parts.

The other plus is that Guzzi has been v-twinning and shaft-driving just as long as anybody in the business...I bet they are solid, reliable machines.
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote