User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #166
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
No Progress This Week, Dang!

No real progress on the project this week.

Just more priming and wet sanding the side covers. I have about 4 coats of primer on now and it looks like I should be ready to paint the Satin Black top coat after the next round of primer and wet sanding. These side covers have been more work than I expected. When I did the carb covers on my Suzuki Bandit 1200/S it was a quick scuff sand and two coats of Satin Black and I was done. The BMW side covers are a type of fiberglass material that is very porus and has sucked up a lot of primer sealer.

I did dig trough my box-o-parts and started laying out the bits and pieces I've been buying over the past months.
One more trip to Irv Siever's BMW tonight for some washers and gaskets... will it ever end!?

Took half and hour to dig through the box and locate the two roll pins I bought for the lower triple trees that locate/vent the gator boots.
I hope to get the triple tree back on and the wiring back on the frame backbone this weekend.

I have everything for the front brakes except the master rebuild. If I can get the master rebuilt this weekend I can reassemble the front forks and brakes.

Stay tuned , the weekend is coming

TINK
TINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #167
Les_Garten
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Hey, I got something to contribute to your project here. If you don't want it, don't take it. I have some, so can spare one. I have a soft spot for S conversions, and it looks like you had a bomb Flag on your key in an earlier pic. PM me where to send it if you would like to use it for your S keyring.

Les_Garten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #168
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Bombs Away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Garten View Post
Hey, I got something to contribute to your project here. If you don't want it, don't take it. I have some, so can spare one. I have a soft spot for S conversions, and it looks like you had a bomb Flag on your key in an earlier pic. PM me where to send it if you would like to use it for your S keyring.
Wooo, Les, that's too cool! Ya, I would definitely like to use that for my project. PM me at tinkler@ix.netcom.com

Keen eye on the REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT. Yes, I'm an aviation nut too. In fact, I have an FAA A&P license, but I never made my living working on airplanes. I did volunteer at the Chino Planes of Fame Museum years ago, helped restore the Northrop Flying Wing, N9M-B.

TINK
Old 08-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #169
Les_Garten
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINK View Post
Wooo, Les, that's too cool! Ya, I would definitely like to use that for my project. PM me at tinkler@ix.netcom.com

Keen eye on the REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT. Yes, I'm an aviation nut too. In fact, I have an FAA A&P license, but I never made my living working on airplanes. I did volunteer at the Chino Planes of Fame Museum years ago, helped restore the Northrop Flying Wing, N9M-B.

TINK
I'll drop 'er in the mail then. Enjoy!
Old 08-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #170
tenderfoot
PRJ

Oddometer: 1,446
That is beyond cool, and an extremely nice gesture !
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #171
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Chrome Seat "bow" (a/k/a/ grab rail)

I really want a chrome seat grab rail (called a "bow" in the BMW parts catalog) for my PROJECT-S, like the one that came on the R90S . Chrome will offset the black paint perfectly, IMHO.

I've been looking,with little luck, for a place here in So Cal to chrome my black RT seat grab rail. It seems that chroming anything in CA is just cost prohibitive these days thanks to the ARB. One shop quited my $100, ya, no, I don't think so .

So I thought I'd look it up in the BMW parts fiche just for fun, 52 53 1 232 456 BOW - CHROM. What do ya know, the chrome seat "bow" is just $51 new from BMW. I've got one on order from Irv Sievers BMW.

TINK
Old 09-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #172
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Road Trip

No progress on the BMW PROJECT-S next week. Riding the ST1300 to Seattle to visit with my 90 year old mother.

TINK
Old 09-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #173
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Oregon

On the road with the ST1300 this week...
Old 09-09-2012, 05:48 AM   #174
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Yes, that is a 747 on the roof...

Quick stop for a photo op at the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville, OR, home of the Spruce Goose.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #175
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Seattle Cossacks

I made the team! Sort of...
http://www.seattlecossacks.com/
Old 09-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #176
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Back to work...

I'm home from my 3,000 mile ride to Seattle and back, time to get back to it.

Purchased a new BMW "bow" (hand rail) from Irv Siever BMW. At $51 it was cheaper than having the black one chromed. California ARB (EPA) has made it so that chroming anything is too expensive any more. Too bad.

Had to custom fit the bow to my seat pan. While all the seat pans are the same, this new bow seemed to be built to the wrong design specifications.

Jug I made to assure screw hole width remained in place while I tweaked the bow arms to fit.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:35 PM   #177
Les_Garten
Studly Adventurer

Hey,
What color Black do you have on your bike?

I want to repaint mine Black and am looking for a good one.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #178
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Black is black is black... I think!?

Quote:
Hey,
What color Black do you have on your bike?

I want to repaint mine Black and am looking for a good one.
Ya know Les, you're the second person that has asked me that and I don't have an answer for that question. I'll have to contact my painter and ask him, just for the record.

TINK
Old 09-16-2012, 12:17 AM   #179
Les_Garten
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINK View Post
Ya know Les, you're the second person that has asked me that and I don't have an answer for that question. I'll have to contact my painter and ask him, just for the record.

TINK
It's funny because there is a difference. I really dislike the Harley Vivid Black.

It reflects like a silver or black chrome effect that I really dislike.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #180
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Black... with a hint of _____

Quote:
It's funny because there is a difference. I really dislike the Harley Vivid Black.

It reflects like a silver or black chrome effect that I really dislike.
You are right Les. My 2004 Suzuki Wee Strom DL650 is black with a hint of blue metallic mixed in.