User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #61
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,428
Thumb thanks

O.P. Thanks for the review. It confirmed my suspicions, which is a good thing. Now I don't have to buy one of each. LOL

I'm in the process of shopping for dual sports, for my wife (a newb) and I. I thought I was going to buy myself a KTM 500 EXC or a Husky TE 511, but now I will be using almost the same money to buy two "lesser" bikes.

I keep coming back to the WR250R as being able to do 90% of what I want a DS bike to do.
tokyoklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:18 AM   #62
rsteiger
Bob

Oddometer: 178
Thank you for your feedback. I will be interested in seeing how the WRR performs for you as you get everything sorted out.

I have been doing a little work on the KTM which is focused on turning it into a more rider friendly (well at least for this rider) bike. I just finished installing a Seat Concepts seat kit, a Trail Tech side stand, and a Flex Jet kit. I suspect that these to things are after thoughts for the KTM Engineering team (and probably for the Husky team too) based on my experience and some of the input I have received from other owners. So yesterday I took the KTM out and based on that ride I really don't see myself selling that bike anytime soon.

So that brings me back to the DR. Originally I was thinking about getting something like a Super Sherpa 250 as my DS ride. Mainly because the girl friend has two of them and I really liked tooling around on them (the Sherpas that is.. well I like tooling around on the GF too but that is a different subject not for this forum). The problem I thought I had with the Sherpa is that the top end was a little low when I was on it. Generally if I would have to slab it I would like to be able to hit about a true 80 MPH and the Sherpa with me on it maxed out at an indicated 75. Like I said I thought this would be an issue.

After picking up a nicely set up DR (Gixxer can, FCR carb, SC seat) and then tuning the suspension and gearing (I went with a 14 tooth C/S sprocket and am thinking about a 45 tooth rear - stock is 15/42) for more off road work, I am seeing that I very seldom have to slab it when I am on the long DS rides and that sort of is the point isn't it. The big DR does fine around town and does ok on the trials but I keep thinking something lighter would be more enjoyable.

In two weeks the GF and I are heading up to Blue Ridge Motorcycle campground and then heading down to attend the Womens Sportbike Rally at Deals Gap. I will be on my DL650 and she will be on her Ninja 250. On our last ride in the Smoky Mountains I found this motorcycle rental place in Townsend, TN ( http://www.gsmmotorent.com/ ) and just so happens they have a WRR available for rent. Last night I reserved that bike for the Womens Sportbike Rally and I figure if I can hang with the ladies in the mountains with that little machine then I will pick one up and sell the DR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
You have a nice range of bikes there. I have owned 2 of them (Suzukis)

3 bikes will always be better focused than 2, which of course beats 1. Given the fine stable you have seems a shame to sell any of them.

I just sold my DR650 and bought the WR250R in mid June. I am 5'11, 225 lbs, and the WR250R moves along just fine. I have not yet loaded it up with camping gear, nor have I ridden at sustained highways speed, the most I have done is ~ 70 mph (indicated) for ~ 45 minutes, and it did fine for what it is (not as good as the DR or DL). Certainly it is down on power compared to the DR, but it has enough for me, and it sure is lighter. I am expecting it will be much better off-road, though I haven't done any yet, just getting protection sorted out. I have time off in Sept and I plan to play more then.

Good luck with your decision.
2001 GasGas XC250
rsteiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #63
RED1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Just for everyone's information the factory oil and filter change intervals are every 8000miles, valve clearance check every 16,000miles.
RED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:54 AM   #64
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED1 View Post
Just for everyone's information the factory oil and filter change intervals ON THE CRF250L are every 8000miles, valve clearance check every 16,000miles.
Edited for clarity.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:05 AM   #65
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsteiger View Post

So that brings me back to the DR. Originally I was thinking about getting something like a Super Sherpa 250 as my DS ride.

The big DR does fine around town and does ok on the trials but I keep thinking something lighter would be more enjoyable.

In two weeks the GF and I are heading up to Blue Ridge Motorcycle campground and then heading down to attend the Womens Sportbike Rally at Deals Gap. I will be on my DL650 and she will be on her Ninja 250. On our last ride in the Smoky Mountains I found this motorcycle rental place in Townsend, TN ( http://www.gsmmotorent.com/ ) and just so happens they have a WRR available for rent. Last night I reserved that bike for the Womens Sportbike Rally and I figure if I can hang with the ladies in the mountains with that little machine then I will pick one up and sell the DR.
Super Sherpa is a good bike; my wife has had one for a couple years now, coming off a Ninja 250, Ninja 500, and Bandit 600. Doesn't miss the power, loves the light weight and simplicity. Helps that she weighs 115 lbs. For me at 225 lbs the brakes and engine are lacking.

DR - I agree, does everything. If I could have only 1 bike, it would be on the short-list.

Renting the WRR is perfect for you; after a day in the mountains you'll know.

One idea you haven't mentioned to replace the KTM 450 and DR650 is another KTM. Have you thought about an EXC 350 or 500?

jon_l screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 08:17 AM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:04 AM   #66
yyz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I just got my CRF250L and I am enjoying it. The main reason I bought it over the WR was seat height. I tried to sit on a WR at a bike show last winter and knew right away the bike was too tall for me. I am 5'10" with 31 inch inseam and I want a bike I am comfortable on. I had a DRZ 400 previously and it was too tall for me off road. I have been riding all my life and am now 52 and find I just don't have it in me to push any bike to the limit off road. So a high performance dirt bike is not something I want or need.

So the CRF suits me just fine. I won't be upgrading the suspension or engine as I only intend to use it to explore back roads in northern Ontario. I think this is what the bike was intended for.
yyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #67
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
For those looking at a WRR/WRX, you really need to do the needed mods to get this bike to show its real colors. In stock form, it truly is <50% of its potential.

1. De smog the bike (evap, AIS, and airbox mod)
2. Add a exhaust(pick your sound level) and then add a fuel controller(FMF, Power Commander, etc).
3. Have the suspension done. The stock suspension is quite soft, and in no way is appropriate for much over 150lbs rider. This is a great bike, but the suspension valving is very poor. In the case of shorter owners like me, have it professionally lowered. The bike comes with a rear lowering adjustment of a total of 1" seat height via the bottom of the shock. A pro can lower the front and rear another 3-4". I have a friend that just lowered 3" and is thrilled with the fit.
4. Additionally, the seat can get you another 1-2" of lowering via cutting the foam or buying new seat/foam that is lower. I have the Seatconcept seat which is ~1" lower and has some soft foam in it. It is very comfy, even with 8hrs in the saddle.

The bike is fantastic and looks bulletproof.

rensho screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 10:53 AM Reason: add.
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #68
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,734
This is a great comparison thread that was linked from the CRF250L thread . I look forward to reading more between the two bikes in question . My criteria was a DS bike with FI , these two fit the bill , but the Honda with its price seems to win out .

FWIW , I currently own a KTM 250 EXC and am getting tired of spending money on it . Every time I need the simplest part , its a nose bleed leaving the dealer . I am not spending $8500 on a ''dirtbike'' that can win races , I dont race , dont care .
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:06 AM   #69
rsteiger
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Super Sherpa is a good bike; my wife has had one for a couple years now, coming off a Ninja 250, Ninja 500, and Bandit 600. Doesn't miss the power, loves the light weight and simplicity. Helps that she weighs 115 lbs. For me at 225 lbs the brakes and engine are lacking.

DR - I agree, does everything. If I could have only 1 bike, it would be on the short-list.

Renting the WRR is perfect for you; after a day in the mountains you'll know.

One idea you haven't mentioned to replace the KTM 450 and DR650 is another KTM. Have you thought about an EXC 350 or 500?
I have given that some thought and depending what I think about the WRR I may be back considering that again.

My issue with the EXC 350 or 500 is that I do enjoy heading out on these long DS rides that cover a week or so. My concern with the KTM's is that I think I would be stopping to change the oil a couple of times on the trip and I am not sure how much I can load them up... although I am learning that less is more on these trips. This is where the DR shines. I can load it up like a pack mule and I am good for 4000 miles before I have to perform some maintenance. Based on what I have read the WRR falls into this same category too.

I have a Giant Loop bag that I use on my DR and from what I see on this board it seems that bag would work equally as well on the EXC 350 or 500. I suspect it would work well on the WRR too.

Should know more in a couple of weeks.
2001 GasGas XC250
Old 08-27-2012, 04:44 AM   #70
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,830
Quote:
I have given that some thought and depending what I think about the WRR I may be back considering that again.

My issue with the EXC 350 or 500 is that I do enjoy heading out on these long DS rides that cover a week or so. My concern with the KTM's is that I think I would be stopping to change the oil a couple of times on the trip and I am not sure how much I can load them up... although I am learning that less is more on these trips. This is where the DR shines. I can load it up like a pack mule and I am good for 4000 miles before I have to perform some maintenance. Based on what I have read the WRR falls into this same category too.

I have a Giant Loop bag that I use on my DR and from what I see on this board it seems that bag would work equally as well on the EXC 350 or 500. I suspect it would work well on the WRR too.

Should know more in a couple of weeks.
You don't have to change the oil on an EXC for a week trip. Just pack an extra air filter and make sure it's seated well.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:04 AM   #71
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

No expert, but from reading, it seems that for the EXCs, there are race-pace service intervals and there are dual-sport intervals. If you would be mostly riding an EXC like you probably would a DR or WRR, I doubt you have to change oil every 15 hours.

If you're concerned there may be a bolt-on oil-cooler option. And with such small volume, use quality synthetic to extend intervals. It won't be DR / WRR intervals, but less frequently than the KTM manual recommends.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #72
johnyrrr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
At 5'10" 200 I took my XR650R out riding with my boy this weekend on his XR80. All I kept thinking about was selling this monster and getting a lighter more flickable bike because Im going to be riding with him from now on hopefully for a long time. Ive thought about both of these bikes and on paper I guess the WR250 seems better. I sold a WR450 last year and I do like the power but this Im getting older and would like to slow down to a 250. I do alot of city driving to so how is the WR? 6 speed, whats it top out at and how is the torque down low like lugging around in the woods? I know it wont be like my 650 now but I dont expect that, I just want to putz around on a lighter flickable dependable bike with my kid anymore. I dont need a bigbore anymore at 41 and falling apart already, I was even thinking of going back to an XR400 but I want a magic button anymore too.
johnyrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #73
rsteiger
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
You don't have to change the oil on an EXC for a week trip. Just pack an extra air filter and make sure it's seated well.
Well that is good to know. The 2003 450 EXC is my first KTM and I have been trying to follow the service manual. We covered 1900 miles in that week and while it was dusty I would not say we were pushing anything close to a race pace.

Never really thought that the maintenance intervals could be based on how hard you ride the bike. For easy trail riding what would you think the maintenance intervals should be?
2001 GasGas XC250
Old 08-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #74
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,186
An easily ridden 450EXC should go 2 or maybe 3k on oil before it needs changing. I usually do it in that range for pure "typical" street riding, low RPMs and just running +5-10 over the speed limits. Sumoto pounding is different. Aggressive dirt is different.

The less you use/abuse the clutch for power transfer the less oil contamination you have. No mystery here, ride any bike with a finger on the clutch to get up and over stuff and launch out of turns and you leave bits of clutch plates in the oil. The CRF250 or WR250R are no different. Clutches are clutches, gears are gears and cams are cams. Oil does the same job in all of them.
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #75
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,830
Quote:
Well that is good to know. The 2003 450 EXC is my first KTM and I have been trying to follow the service manual. We covered 1900 miles in that week and while it was dusty I would not say we were pushing anything close to a race pace.

Never really thought that the maintenance intervals could be based on how hard you ride the bike. For easy trail riding what would you think the maintenance intervals should be?
Check the KTM thread, I think we've hijacked this thread enough.
(roughly every 1500 miles/100hrs, I changed the filters every 2 oil changes...ie every other oil change, do the filters)
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote