Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #31
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
So time for the next food stop. This was definitely one of the better ones so far too. We stopped at The a Fish Peddler for some oysters. Biggest oysters I've ever had. They were fu#%!^g fantastic!! Got out of there and takes to one of the local LEO's and asked him if he could give me a policeman's version of a doctors note in case we got pulled over. Didn't work. Nice guy though. Gave us a few tips on some overlooks to stop at along the way.

After oysters we came across this street (I'm from Miami, FL.) and stopped at one of the overlooks the cop had mentioned. This one was in Nehalem. This is also where the button on my Dainese jacket popped off. Gonna have to take it to the D-Store in SF. The thing brushed up against my tank bank and literally broke right off. Shouldn't happen so easily. Must just be defective. Never had a problem with any of their other stuff.

We pulled into cannon beach at around 6 PM or so. I led Stephanie to one of the dead end streets that ends at the beach. As has been the norm wherever we stop, we were approached by a gentlemen that must have been in his early forties and his mother and he asked about the bikes and the trip. We exchanged stories about our trip and about some trips he's taken with his wife. His mother was a sweet a lady as you can imagine, even giving Stephanie a lucky penny ;). I told her we'd gladly take it and told her of the small bit of bad luck we had to begin the trip. Add them also to the list of nice people. Of course, we also drove over to haystack rock. I'll post those later since they are on Stephanie's camera. (cont...)

RIDE REPORT: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....3,000 miles
CURRENT RIDE REPORT: Part 2: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....4,000 miles

GP1152 screwed with this post 09-07-2012 at 04:52 PM
GP1152 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #32
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The hotel we stayed in when we got to Seaside was the RiverTide Suites hotel. We were originally booked at the Holiday Inn Express, but Stephanie ended up finding a better deal at this place. This one also ended up being basically a 1 bedroom suite (for CHEAP). And even better than the room was the parking. Right up front.....

We didn't get to see much of seaside since we got in a bit late, but I don't think we missed much. That's why I wanted to go to cannon beach first. Seaside wasn't really our thing. Seems to be more for a family with kids. Dinner was good though. More seafood :)

Next up......Seattle. Here's a preview of what our view at dinner was like:

Old 08-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #33
samohT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Myself wanting a street fighter bike but also want to travel, this report along with Antihero is just a breath of fresh air... Love the pictures and I hope you don't mind that some of them goes to my wallpaper selection.

My GF likes to ride as well, but she is to scared to get her own bike, how can I persuade her?

Stay safe and keep it going...

(not the normal tent budget you guys are on, huh?
samohT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #34
Hoop71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Great RR! I am watching this very closely as I am doing the reverse of your trip in a little over a week.

Leaving from Vancouver (Canada) and going to SF. Have about 3-4 days to get down there and still trying to figure out my route. How has the fog been on the coast? What time does it seem to burn off in the day? I don't want to ride down the coast if I am socked in with fog.

Enjoy Victoria when you get there, I lived there for 8 years before moving to Vancouver.

If you are coming through Vancouver at all shoot me a PM. You are free to stay here if you want. (Secured underground parking).

Ride safe.

Dan
Hoop71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #35
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samohT View Post
Myself wanting a street fighter bike but also want to travel, this report along with Antihero is just a breath of fresh air... Love the pictures and I hope you don't mind that some of them goes to my wallpaper selection.

My GF likes to ride as well, but she is to scared to get her own bike, how can I persuade her?

Stay safe and keep it going...

(not the normal tent budget you guys are on, huh?
Yeah, nothing against roughing it, just a bit harder to do on these bikes. I guess you can just say its a more traditional vacation, on two wheels (or two sets of two).

Don't mind you using the pics at all for personal use. If there are any in particular that you want a high resolution version of just PM me with your email and I'll send it over.

For your GF I'd recommend having her do a rider safety course, if she hasn't already. There she doesn't have to worry about hurting the bike. If she has already taken it then just keep letting her practice and get used to riding on her own. Makes a big difference if it's a bike she can handle easily as well. Stephanie has no problems with the Ducati Monster. Super easy bike to ride and very comfortable for her (she's about 5'5").

Old 08-27-2012, 03:44 AM   #36
Blue Icebreaker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Fantastic photos! Which camera do you guys use?

P.S. subscribed :)
Blue Icebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #37
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Icebreaker View Post
Fantastic photos! Which camera do you guys use?

P.S. subscribed :)
Thanks! I carry a Nikon D7000 in my tankbag and she carries a Nikon D5100 in hers.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #38
Yoyodyne
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Sorry to thread-jack a bit, but I've tried (and tried, and tried...) unsuccessfully to post pictures to these forums using my DropBox account, which you mentioned you use. What's the secret?

Superb RR, by the way. Fantastic.

Best,
--Yoyo
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #39
no_rice
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
all these threads do is make me wish i had more time for extended bike trips...

by the way, nice duc's! havent really seen the blonde yet though... lol.
no_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #40
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

No problem. If you go to your Dropbox folder, then "public", you'll be able to right click on a picture and get the public link. Once you have that link/address you can post the picture online. I copied and pasted the beginning part in my contacts, all the way up to the file name, for use whenever I need it (I just add whatever file/image name).
I don't have a computer with me so I transfer the images I want to post to my iPhone or ipad via an eye-fi card, then I edit the images and post using photogene2 for iPhone. It lets me upload multiple images to Dropbox. Works great.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #41
Yoyodyne
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1152 View Post
No problem. If you go to your Dropbox folder, then "public", you'll be able to right click on a picture and get the public link. Once you have that link/address you can post the picture online. I copied and pasted the beginning part in my contacts, all the way up to the file name, for use whenever I need it (I just add whatever file/image name).
I don't have a computer with me so I transfer the images I want to post to my iPhone or ipad via an eye-fi card, then I edit the images and post using photogene2 for iPhone. It lets me upload multiple images to Dropbox. Works great.
Thanks--I tried that, to no avail, but I'll try it again!

Ride safe!
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #42
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyodyne View Post
Thanks--I tried that, to no avail, but I'll try it again!

Ride safe!
I forgot to mention that doing the same thing with the link I get from the iPhone app from Dropbox does NOT work. It only works with the link I get from my desktop (Mac). That's why I saved one of those links and just change the file name to whatever I save and upload it as through photogene.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #43
gueroaero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Thank your for your RR. This gives me Ducati fueled ideas of my own
gueroaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #44
samohT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Wicked Need more!!!

What happened to you guys??? I need more reading material... No WIFI in your rooms? hahah, too much fun on the bikes?
samohT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #45
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry guys. A little behind but good things to come. Today was an epic day of riding and Victoria was fantastic!!