ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
Mikef5000 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Northern TWVT Update

The TET thread is more or less exclusively PDF replies anymore, so I started a new thread for this bit of info...

Rode the top half (about 200 miles) of the north-south TWVT yesterday, from East Liverpool down to Glenville (at US-33). Tons of drilling going on in the area, which means two things for the TWVT. Pipeline construction is everywhere:

We were stopped by probably 20 construction zones with flaggers and lanes closed; not a huge deal. The bigger issue though, they're going crazy paving roads in preparation for the heavy equipment. We covered at least 30 miles of fresh pavement that had till recently been dirt/gravel, and we were on another couple stretches that were in the preparation stages.
(There's also a bridge out by Wheeling that necessitates a 15 mile detour, but that'll be taken care of in a month or so)

Still a great ride and I'm very appreciative of those who put the time in. It is a killer mix of twisty fun pavement, tiny backroad pavement, gravel, dirt, and just a bit of mud/creeks/challenges. Great on a big (adventure) bike.

It's going to be tougher to get the rest of the route in, as I was easily able to make a day and a half loop out of this part:

Is the southern stretch any more challenging or prone to muddy conditions? Still very big bike friendly?

I'll get down there at some point!
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,133
Sorry I'm so late to the party.

For the most part, you can expect the same difficulty per colored track anywhere on the TET, TWVT, or OTC that you go. The TETS is a little different, that's the biggest reason the files are published separately.

So, yes, it is big bike friendly anywhere you go GREEN on anything but the TETS. Mother nature can, of course, change the baseline a bit any where you go.

Thanks for the report. Can you give me a locale on that thirty miles of paved paradise?

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
Mikef5000 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sorry, I didn't keep track of any of the new pavement. If I remember right, it's mostly in the northern most part that section, perhaps up around wheeling.

I'm actually going back next weekend; I'll be riding from Wheeling down to Harrisville Friday afternoon, then we're going to head from Harrisville south Saturday. I'd love to make it down to the New River Bridge, but we've got to make it back up to Harrisville (pavement heading north) for dinner, so I'm not sure if we'll make it. Looks like we've got a pretty good group of bikes ranging from a DR650 up to my Super Tenere (now sporting dual-sport tires).
Old 08-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Have fun, ride safe.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
Mikef5000 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Back again for another update!

Once again, I rode the northern stretch, this time from Wheeling to Harrisville (at US-50), then from Harrisville to Glenville (at US-33). We had 7 big adventure bikes. The goal was to get all the way down to the New River Gorge Bridge, but we failed miserably... luckily it was a fantastic ride, so nobody minded much.

Here's an interesting, my GPS took us on one stretch that was apparently not part of the route... a shortcut you might say...

It took us 2 hours to go 2 miles, but we made it! On a little bike it would be a killer stretch of road, so I guess that means it would be rated black! It's worth adding for future map downloads I think.

The little road on the left comes down to the river, where there is a do-able crossing. It was ever bit of 20" deep, and flowing with notable force, but the bottom was solid, and we all made it unscathed. After that it's all intense; tree/log crossings, mud bogs, ruts, all the good stuff! That Spruce Run on the far right is part of the existing route, as is 5 along the other side of the river.

I hope to do a ride report soon, and I'll link it here.

I also hope to get south of Glenville soon!
Old 08-14-2012, 06:14 AM   #6
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Thanks for the feedback. The day I laid that section out, by the time I got to Glenville, I was whipped. The water was up that day also. DuckWV helped me finish a couple of alts South of there for that very reason. I made it to the crossing, on a loaded 1200 alone, and decided that retreat was the best choice. Crossing the little Kanawha that day would have been impossible.

Do you have a track log?

Old 08-27-2012, 06:20 AM   #7
Mikef5000 OP
Beastly Adventurer

No tracks, sorry, I use an older waterproof Nuvi gps that isn't capable.