User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2005, 10:16 AM   #1
Crush OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Restoring an R75

I am in the process of restoring / rebuilding an R75/6 and need a little direction on refinishing the engine and transmission cases and other unpainted aluminum castings. The castings are dirty from years of use and have the associated aluminum tarnish. I know I can clean it up to looking like new, but how do I keep it looking nice? Any suggestions?
TIA, Dennis
Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 12:16 PM   #2
Team Dennis
Certified Troublemaker

Oddometer: 4,537
Etching mag wheel cleaner should get it clean but keeping it clean is a whole different can of worms.
Team Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 12:27 PM   #3
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,897
I've seen Airheads that had silver paint rubbed into their pores with scotchgard pads - pretty impressive to look at, if you're into making your bike look purdy.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:25 PM   #4
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,126
Use of kerosene, as your regular choice of cleaning agent on the motor will keep it very nice and clean for years and years. Will also keep the bugs down around the driveway.

I would worry about using paint, as recommended above. Once you do that, even glass beading may not remove the paint due to the porous nature of the casting.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:30 PM   #5
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsweave
Use of kerosene, as your regular choice of cleaning agent on the motor will keep it very nice and clean for years and years. Will also keep the bugs down around the driveway.
Agree,Kero kept my R80's jugs and case looking fine. Applied with old toothbrushes and rags.
Quote:
I would worry about using paint, as recommended above. Once you do that, even glass beading may not remove the paint due to the porous nature of the casting.
I didn't say it was good for the engine, just that it was pretty to look at. If that's what someone's after... I wouldn't want anything adding thermal resistance to the parts that need to shed heat.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:46 PM   #6
mneblett
Professional Lurker

Oddometer: 149
This may sound strange, but I had excellent results when restoring my SWMBO's R75/5 and with removing a bunch of surface corrosion from a later R100 engine with WD-40, green ScotchGuard pads and elbow grease. A couple benefits: a not very aggressive combination (better too little than too much at first), and leaves a bit of a protective coating behind from the WD-40.
mneblett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 08:52 PM   #7
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
This may sound strange, but I had excellent results when restoring my SWMBO's R75/5 and with removing a bunch of surface corrosion from a later R100 engine with WD-40, green ScotchGuard pads and elbow grease. A couple benefits: a not very aggressive combination (better too little than too much at first), and leaves a bit of a protective coating behind from the WD-40.

Yah man, the dude who was keeping his R90/6 in my garage spent many a night with wd40 and fine steel wool.. Cleaned it up nice..

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 06:43 AM   #8
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
WD is great choice. Kerosene is sold at 1.59 per gallon. Same results, I am frugal.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:03 AM   #9
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Oddometer: 4,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsweave
Kerosene is sold at 1.59 per gallon.
I'd suspect that kerosene has gone up a bit lately. A fiver here is $30, up from $20 last winter.
HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

Only dead fish go with the flow.
KL5A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:09 AM   #10
mitch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
Thumb

A good soak in molasses will clean them to start with. Then its up to you
06 GSA . SE. will try to stay away from pickups.
Well it was a car this time #L/tib & fib in the same place as the previous F wit crushed it
Ducati making mechanics out of riders for 50 years
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 09:35 AM   #11
mneblett
Professional Lurker

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Yah man, the dude who was keeping his R90/6 in my garage spent many a night with wd40 and fine steel wool.. Cleaned it up nice..
When I was researching how to clean up the engine, someone mentioned that steel wool shouldn't be used because it can leave behind minute bits of steel imbedded in the aluminum, which later rust. I have no idea whether that's true, but I avoided the issue by using the Scotchbrite pads,
mneblett is offline   Reply With Quote