Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #16
99p38a
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
I don't see that PN doesn't in the on-line catalog I have up (not sure of cat#), but a search says it is a
Natural Rubber Vibration Damping Sandwich Mnt Cylindrical, Male/Male, 3/4" Height, 1" Width
$1.87 Each

When I look up those dimensions and price, I get PN 9376K213, which is a
Natural Rubber Vibration Damping Sandwich Mnt M8 X 1.25 Thrd, Cylindrical, Male/Male, 3/4" H, 1" W
$1.87 Each (also available in Neoprene)

Go figure. Either way, it looks like a mucho cheaper solution than BMW will sell you.

If you guys have an 1150, it's not this one. I ordered these and the M8 is not right. It's an M6. They don't have the right dimension in m6, but i am sure one will work. this round I bought 9217K34 . I will let you know Thursday how they work. At 1.89$ each, I hope they work, so much cheaper than BMW. not to mention quicker and easier to acquire for me.
99p38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #17
AngusMcDung
Free Range Chicken

Oddometer: 198
I ordered these parts from McMaster-Carr

19217K42Natural Rubber Vibration Damping Sandwich Mount, Male/Male, M8 Thread, 3/4" H, 1" W3Each

302.17Each

29232K15Natural Rubber Vibration Damping Sandwich Mount, Male/Female, M6 Thread, 3/4" H, 1" W1Each

102.41Each

39247K34Natural Rubber Vibration Damping Sandwich Mount, Female/Female, M8 Thread, 1" H, 1" W1Each

102.75Each

49217K47Natural Rubber Vibration Damping Sandwich Mount, Male/Male, M8 Thread, 1-1/4" H, 1-1/4" W1Each

102.45Each

They worked great. I only needed 2 of the first part, not 3.
AngusMcDung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #18
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Oddometer: 2,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuckC View Post
Thanks Joel and AlanI.

I just spoke to Touratech. Their design is really poor. I strongly recommend against using their skid plate. Not only does it not offer any protection from the front wheel sending rocks into your pipes but it is also designed to break. Their system uses a rubber mount that is screwed into the oil pan. Rubber makes sense here because bolting a hard plate directly onto the pan can cause damage to the pan from impact. Their design however is the problem. They bolt the rubber mount onto the oil pan and then use a separate screw to attach the bash plate to the rubber mount. The screw goes in about 1/4 inch and is only supported by rubber for the most part. As a result, vibration causes the screw to eventually sheer the rubber in half leaving a very difficult bolt to remove form the pan.

If you ride alot of rocky dirt, DO NOT BUY THE TOURATECH PLATE.

Now I have to figure out how to get the bolts out off the oil pan. Joel do you know the size of the socket?

I have been using the Touratech plate with no issues, I got mine second hand. It has gone above and beyond the call of duty. Mine is extremely bashed and dented, the mounts have not sheared off and there is no damage to my pan whatsoever. I actually just replaced it with the same one because thats just how beat up it is. Bought the black one this time.

There are plates out there that offer better protection for sure, at 2 and 3 times the price. For a $125 bash plate mine has served me very well.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:55 AM   #19
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
I bought the BMW bash plate and have bent, dented and scratched crap out of it. I replaced the rubber mounts after a bit of log crossing in the snow. 2 rubbers had sheared, one partial shear and one was loose. The front mount was damaged.

BMW wanted about $70 for a set of mounts. I used anti seize on them and use my little battery rattle gun when I fit them. Have done several oil changes and not had issues.

The factory bash plate will move enough to dent the header pipes. It's relative to how hard you hit things. Lift the front over a log and land hard on the bash plate like you'd do on a 250 and you'll break stuff.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:46 PM   #20
The Maz
BRAAAAAPPPPP

Oddometer: 29
Pissed shear bolts

man, I must not know my own strength! Barely tightened bolt on skid plate mount and the bolt sheared right off. Not the rubber, but the bolt.
Well I guess it's off to an automotive store for some vibration isolating bolts...
Sigh..... Not eaven a 1000 K on the bike yet.

Just to make sure, it's a M8 X 1.25?
The Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:54 AM   #21
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
The last version of the RSD I saw had those bolts tightened to the pan at 4nm and to the plate at 10nm. They shear at around 30 nm so yes, you are almost an order of magnitude stronger then you think or not reading specs at all :)
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #22
The Maz
BRAAAAAPPPPP

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman View Post
The last version of the RSD I saw had those bolts tightened to the pan at 4nm and to the plate at 10nm. They shear at around 30 nm so yes, you are almost an order of magnitude stronger then you think or not reading specs at all :)

I wasn't even tightening, just snugging the nut to the plate.
The Maz is offline   Reply With Quote