User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #496
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,820
I try to pack very light. I just came back from a 7 day trip and only used a coyote. no backpack (just a small cameback) no tank bag or fender pack. I even had the honour of carrying someone else's shoes!! (He did lend me the GL afterall

What I do is use a bunch of small compression sacks that are waterproof. You can get them in walmart (maybe not in Thailand) and pack stuff by use. Cold stuff (sweater, socks, the leg for my convertible pants in the bigger bag. then do day 1, days 2 with shorts, underwear, shirt in each of the 2 bags. I rotate those once the day 1 clothes are dirty, use day 2 and wash day 1 when i get a chance. other bags are toiletries, extra underwear & swin trunks. Shoes are usually sandals.

I've done 3 weeks in baja in my original giant loop. I tried the coyote because the orinigal GL's zippers are so painful. Next trip I'm going with a Mojavi and a giant basin dry bag (or equivalent).

I would love it if Wachs (?) would add 1" straps and buckles to the Mojavi now that the tool pouch is removable. It would make strapping a dry bag much easier than using the loops and be more solid.

PS: I also have to commend GL/Wachs for listening to customers. You couldn't ask for more and certainly they have earned/deserved my $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Greetings,

I used the yellow bag which is 22L

Packed with the same sleeping equipment it measured

18" long

and about 9" wide

By 6 inches tall. Its a more malleable load to work with which may or may not be a good thing depending on your packing situation. It has the advantage of a large opening top that makes grabbing things from inside a lot easier than a normal compression dry bag. However it does not compress near as small a package as a typical compression bag no matter what the manufacture claims. It has a purge valve to release the air as you compress the bag with your body weight. However once compressed I noticed the down puffing up again by a bit. Not really efficient in my eyes for what I was trying to accomplish. A lot of people love these bags but I decided to keep my sleep gear in the Event bag due to the amount of down i wanted compressed. I use the Exped bag for my clothes since they don't compress all that much and pack minimal no matter how long the trip. I only pack one long traveler pant that converts to shorts, long sleeve thermal top, capilene t- shirt, down vest and two pair of undies and socks It packs quite small that I can then store my complete tool kit, tire tools, pump, and spares next to the Exped bag. One side of my GL has the clothes and all the tools and spares and the other side of the bag food and camping equipment.

I love compression bags for their efficient use of space and finding the Large Event bag was a perfect fit for the Coyote with the Exped Shrink bag handling the clothes. It keeps my loads from filling the GL bag. Here packed for four days camping in the hills.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #497
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attico View Post
I try to pack very light. I just came back from a 7 day trip and only used a coyote. no backpack (just a small cameback) no tank bag or fender pack. I even had the honour of carrying someone else's shoes!! (He did lend me the GL afterall

What I do is use a bunch of small compression sacks that are waterproof. You can get them in walmart (maybe not in Thailand) and pack stuff by use. Cold stuff (sweater, socks, the leg for my convertible pants in the bigger bag. then do day 1, days 2 with shorts, underwear, shirt in each of the 2 bags. I rotate those once the day 1 clothes are dirty, use day 2 and wash day 1 when i get a chance. other bags are toiletries, extra underwear & swin trunks. Shoes are usually sandals.

I've done 3 weeks in baja in my original giant loop. I tried the coyote because the orinigal GL's zippers are so painful. Next trip I'm going with a Mojavi and a giant basin dry bag (or equivalent).

I would love it if Wachs (?) would add 1" straps and buckles to the Mojavi now that the tool pouch is removable. It would make strapping a dry bag much easier than using the loops and be more solid.

PS: I also have to commend GL/Wachs for listening to customers. You couldn't ask for more and certainly they have earned/deserved my $$

Nice info.

I'm always interested in how to minimalize better. You're planning on multi day trips with the Mojavi and a dry bag on top, could you be so kind as to lay out what you would pack that works with that set-up so I can blatantly copy it? I could minimize my sleeping arrangments down to my Bivy sack and nothing else but boy is it uncomfortable. What about spare tubes and food prep goods?

Is your first choice the Mojavi for these multiday trips or is it being "pressed" into service? I've used the Coyote when on multiday trips but using guest houses and not cooking, so just packing tools, spares, tubes, and clothes. Its not as minimal as the Mojavi but it gets the job done..

Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #498
Attico
Wrong way 'round

I avoid camping...my idea of camping is a motel 6. . Ifi do need to camp, i use a marmot home along bivy, a big agnes pad, and a uninsulated sleepingbag. This all fits in the equivalent of a mojavi side pocket. I keep a 21" tube in the botton of The coyote. My chain lube is gear oil in a small squeeze bottle. It can also double as air filter oil in a pinch. I use the wr's stock toolkit, which is pretty complete.

I think the mojavi and the coyote dry bag will be more than enough space for longer trips

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Nice info.

I'm always interested in how to minimalize better. You're planning on multi day trips with the Mojavi and a dry bag on top, could you be so kind as to lay out what you would pack that works with that set-up so I can blatantly copy it? I could minimize my sleeping arrangments down to my Bivy sack and nothing else but boy is it uncomfortable. What about spare tubes and food prep goods?

Is your first choice the Mojavi for these multiday trips or is it being "pressed" into service? I've used the Coyote when on multiday trips but using guest houses and not cooking, so just packing tools, spares, tubes, and clothes. Its not as minimal as the Mojavi but it gets the job done..

Old 08-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #499
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
I avoid camping...my idea of camping is a motel 6. . Ifi do need to camp, i use a marmot home along bivy, a big agnes pad, and a uninsulated sleepingbag. This all fits in the equivalent of a mojavi side pocket. I keep a 21" tube in the botton of The coyote. My chain lube is gear oil in a small squeeze bottle. It can also double as air filter oil in a pinch. I use the wr's stock toolkit, which is pretty complete.

I think the mojavi and the coyote dry bag will be more than enough space for longer trips
I'm thinking along those lines too for overnight offroad trips.

As a substitute for the removable mojavi center pouch, I like the look of the kriega US5 or US10.
They are low profile and waterproof.

http://www.kriega.us/bike-packs/
Old 08-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #500
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Looks good, the price is out of wack. A good dry bag, well compressed will do the same. I did have a roll bag made by Storm (the guy here on adv) but it isn't waterproof. It has webbing to pass the coyote or (soon to be) mojavi straps through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
I'm thinking along those lines too for overnight offroad trips.

As a substitute for the removable mojavi center pouch, I like the look of the kriega US5 or US10.
They are low profile and waterproof.

http://www.kriega.us/bike-packs/
Old 08-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #501
OlafofOregon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Coyote Dry Pods / Great Basin Dry Pods

Ready to ship to your local dealer!

Old 08-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #502
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Are these on the website to order?

ktm950se
Old 08-28-2012, 11:56 PM   #503
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafofOregon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se View Post
Are these on the website to order?

ktm950se

Old 08-29-2012, 12:55 AM   #504
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Looks good, the price is out of wack. A good dry bag, well compressed will do the same. I did have a roll bag made by Storm (the guy here on adv) but it isn't waterproof. It has webbing to pass the coyote or (soon to be) mojavi straps through.
Yeah, the kriega probably overkill to use as a larger center bag for the mojavi.

Following pic is from GL's website

That dry bag setup would hit you in the butt if you stand while riding rough terrain, otherwise looks ok

Compressing it down might work but need additional straps fixing points to do that ?

Some dry bags are oval shaped which might be better for a low profile fit
http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/63
Old 08-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #505
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,681

Quote:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
Old 08-30-2012, 02:28 AM   #506
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
[QUOTE=OlafofOregon;19466902]Ready to ship to your local dealer!

[/QUOTE

Are these bags form fitted to dovetail into the bottom of the Coyote bag or are they regular shaped dry bags?
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #507
OlafofOregon
Gnarly Adventurer

Great Basin Dry Pods / Coyote Dry Pods - Specs

Shipping to dealers and distributors first, then available on GL site.

Here are some specs and description:

• Custom fit dry pods - tailored to fit Great Basin or Coyote Saddlebags
• 100% waterproof interior roll-top dry pod sets to upgrade its Coyote Saddlebag and Great Basin Saddlebag.
• Made in USA
• Constructed of 200-denier PTU coated Nylon with fully sealed seams
• keep gear organized and protected inside the saddlebags’ super-rugged, water resistant outer Bombshell
• both saddlebags will continue to include the standard stuff sacks and pods

Coyote Dry Pods (set of 3)
• 2 lower pods
• 1 middle pod
• total volume: 30 liters (same as standard stuff sacks)
• materials: 200-denier PTU coated Nylon, 1” Nylike webbing, heavy duty side release buckle
• color: high visibility yellow
• MSRP $100 USD
• Part number: CSI

Great Basin Dry Pods (set of 5)
• 2 lower pods
• 2 corner pods
• 1 middle pod
• total volume: 50 liters (same as standard stuff sacks)
• materials: 200-denier PTU coated Nylon, 1” Nylike webbing, heavy duty side release buckle
• color: high visibility yellow
• MSRP $140 USD
• Part number: GSI
Old 08-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #508
Attico
Wrong way 'round

That's exactly what I'm talking about. It would be nice if the straps holding the dry bag were sewn on the bottom of the mojavi rather than through the loops on the top (where the pouch is fastened)

It would hit you in the butt, but isn't the same scenario as the coyote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
Yeah, the kriega probably overkill to use as a larger center bag for the mojavi.

Following pic is from GL's website

That dry bag setup would hit you in the butt if you stand while riding rough terrain, otherwise looks ok

Compressing it down might work but need additional straps fixing points to do that ?

Some dry bags are oval shaped which might be better for a low profile fit
http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/63
Old 08-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #509
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Shipping to dealers and distributors first...
And those with these in-stock at this time would be?

ktm950se
Old 08-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #510
OlafofOregon
Gnarly Adventurer

Wink dealer/distributor list

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se View Post
And those with these in-stock at this time would be?

ktm950se
http://www.giantloopmoto.com/pages/dealers-links

Any dealer/distributor can order for you. Most of the international distributors have orders in transit now.

Closed Thread