Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 05:03 AM   #16
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by aGremlin View Post
Oh, it's also probably worth noting I think there are 2 Ohlins options now. It was on here, can't remember the string I used to find it... ooh, Twalcom? whatever that means? Here it is: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780793

This one only uses the 46DR shocks, basic stuff. The full EC option uses the TTX gear, which is top of the line.

MMmm....TTX ohlins....*droooooooollllll* That is top shelf, for sure. Giggity

'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #17
BearII OP
No, it's not complicated

Oddometer: 224
Guys, thanks for the great input and perspectives. I'll definitely reach out to the two shops recommended to get their thoughts as well! Inmate RULE!

'13 BMW R1200GS ADV (triple black) - it doesn't get any better... just had to get another one!, '07 BMW R1200GS ADV - sold after 73,000 wonderful miles together
'13 Ford Raptor SVT - wow, what a truck!
BearII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #18
Undermoose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Thumb Ohlins is offering a rebuild option now using OEM ESA components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
Salty, around 3200 for the pair.
I believe Hyperpro and others are using the OEM ESA controls and moving them to their shock. This keeps the cost down compared to the Ohlins complete solution, but in response I noticed Ohlins now offers this type of reuse of the OEM parts now too bringing the total cost to $1800 for both front and rear Ohlins shocks: http://twalcomusa.com/ohlins-esa-rep...n-r1200gs.html

Undermoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:39 AM   #19
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undermoose View Post
I believe Hyperpro and others are using the OEM ESA controls and moving them to their shock. This keeps the cost down compared to the Ohlins complete solution, but in response I noticed Ohlins now offers this type of reuse of the OEM parts now too bringing the total cost to $1800 for both front and rear Ohlins shocks: http://twalcomusa.com/ohlins-esa-rep...n-r1200gs.html

This is a great looking option. Very cool.

This seems a bit better - for some reason I trust BMW's motors used to adjust the shock a bit more than I do Ohlins...given their latest attempts on the Ducati bikes.

I haven't read about anybody having ESA issues....its quite reliable it seems....I know some guys don't like it since "it does nothing" or "is one more thing to go wrong" but overall, seems fairly robust. Am I wrong on this part?
Old 08-31-2012, 08:20 PM   #20
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,070
First you must understand how the MANUAL preload shocks work to adjust the sag of the bike when varying weights are transported on the bike. Since stock springs are for a lighter rider than most of us, the rider can crank up a given number of turns to raise up the rear end. The front shock is adjusted by the same little step offs used on rears for decades.

The little hand crank hydraulic preload knob has the ability to turn a set number of revolutions to put more hydraulic fluid in the shock to raise the rear end of the bike when boxes, and/or a passenger is added to the bike.

The ESA has THREE(3) settings, which correspond to a given number of complete turns of the knob to hydraulically raise the front AND rear of the bike with the push of a button, affecting SAG.

The rider can also set for comfort, normal, or sport mode. This affects the ride COMFORT.

The rider can also set the shocks for road use, or offload use, which I think will give 10mm more lift. [I could have miss stated this info.]

You really need to talk to Teddy Porter at the Beemershop in Scotts Valley, Ca., as well as research Ohlins and other brands.

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

Sent from my rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #21
bluechip0309
Old and In the Way

Oddometer: 194
Wilbers ESA set-up is excellent

Ted Porter installed my -25mm ESA conversion and I couldn't be happier with the ride, the cost and the warranty. I had never "carved" before. Dragging a boot was another first for me. Confidence from control...handles a load without complaint. My .02.
chip
96 K1100LT gone
83 R100RS gone
bluechip0309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:40 AM   #22
BearII OP
No, it's not complicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechip0309 View Post
Ted Porter installed my -25mm ESA conversion and I couldn't be happier with the ride, the cost and the warranty. I had never "carved" before. Dragging a boot was another first for me. Confidence from control...handles a load without complaint. My .02.
chip
Love to hear about carving up the path! Thanks for the feedback.

'13 BMW R1200GS ADV (triple black) - it doesn't get any better... just had to get another one!, '07 BMW R1200GS ADV - sold after 73,000 wonderful miles together
Old 09-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #23
aGremlin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:

This seems a bit better - for some reason I trust BMW's motors used to adjust the shock a bit more than I do Ohlins...given their latest attempts on the Ducati bikes.
Same link as what I provided. Uses 46DR shock and not TTX, hence the price difference...

I'll do a write up on my Ohlins EC experience, it was fitted Monday, but having issues and have lost rider mode settings. There's a process to work through (re-plug oem once) but since the plugs are under the tank I have to dismantle (again) first. ie, A days work, which I'll do this weekend.

Bar the issues (which should be sorted) the difference is noticeable. Had to ride 360km home in the pouring rain at night (coz fitting took about 10.5 hours) in 1up mode with panniers of gear. Compliance over bumps is much better, bike feels more stable and less... lazy...

Full report to come in time (with pretty pics)
Old 09-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #24
BearII OP
No, it's not complicated

Quote:
Same link as what I provided. Uses 46DR shock and not TTX, hence the price difference...

I'll do a write up on my Ohlins EC experience, it was fitted Monday, but having issues and have lost rider mode settings. There's a process to work through (re-plug oem once) but since the plugs are under the tank I have to dismantle (again) first. ie, A days work, which I'll do this weekend.

Bar the issues (which should be sorted) the difference is noticeable. Had to ride 360km home in the pouring rain at night (coz fitting took about 10.5 hours) in 1up mode with panniers of gear. Compliance over bumps is much better, bike feels more stable and less... lazy...

Full report to come in time (with pretty pics)
Looking forward to your write up, please post a link here to the info. Thanks!

Old 09-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #25
EyeCake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:

I haven't read about anybody having ESA issues....its quite reliable it seems....I know some guys don't like it since "it does nothing" or "is one more thing to go wrong" but overall, seems fairly robust. Am I wrong on this part?

I have 2008 GSA bought last year second hand with only 8000km and full service history and after 6000km I had to replace Rear ESA unit due to leak which BMW replaced free under goodwill maybe admitting problems with earlier units
After another 12000km trip to Nordkapp and down to Greece and 3 months the front unit was leaking. This time after much arguing with BMW through a great Greek Dealer they covered half the cost of the unit but I got a 2 year warranty which I did'nt get with the free one.
Anyway this does'nt inspire confidence in a bike sold as capable of conquring the world. Mine has only about 5% offroad use althought this year I have covered another20.000km mostly on very very bad Russian , Ukranian and Eastern European roads full of giant potholes and corrugations without any further problems. Ayear on 55000km
At BMW Motorrad Days in Germany this year I talked to both Hyperpro, Wilbers and Ohlins about replacing the suspension units
Not having driven any of these and having to rely on others by far the best value are the Wilbers which upgrade and reuse the orginal BMW parts making them servieable and repairable with a 5 year warranty for a third of the cost of the other 2.
I know which one I will replace mine with soon.
EyeCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:33 AM   #26
aGremlin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearII View Post
Looking forward to your write up, please post a link here to the info. Thanks!
As requested: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832074
Old 10-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #27
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,245
When setting ESA there are two modes. You can set damping while on the move. But you must be not moving when adjusting preload.
My question is. Is there a way to dial the preload in before one enguages ESA. That way for heaver riders the one up, two up, and luggage mode makes sense. Otherwise one uses the rider with luggage to get the single rider setting close. And so on.
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #28
Beemerlover
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
I'm getting a '13 GSA with ESA around the end of the month and my plan is to replace the shocks with free OEM units if they fail within the warranty period (naturally). Otherwise, I'll definitely go with Ohlins or Wilbers after the bike warranty expires.

Off subject, but I wonder what those electronic shocks on the new water cooled GS's cost per pair? $5000-$6000 maybe?
Beemerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #29
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Wow - intense write up!! Thanks for taking the time to post it all up. Very educational. Time consuming, for sure, but didn't seem too overly complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerlover View Post
I'm getting a '13 GSA with ESA around the end of the month and my plan is to replace the shocks with free OEM units if they fail within the warranty period (naturally). Otherwise, I'll definitely go with Ohlins or Wilbers after the bike warranty expires.

Off subject, but I wonder what those electronic shocks on the new water cooled GS's cost per pair? $5000-$6000 maybe?
So you're headed into the purchase with a game plan for post-warranty failure? Wow, I bet you don't cop a squat without a plan either. You Russian by chance? Just messing with you. I figure on looking at the Wilburs or by then trading on the new model...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
When setting ESA there are two modes. You can set damping while on the move. But you must be not moving when adjusting preload.
My question is. Is there a way to dial the preload in before one enguages ESA. That way for heaver riders the one up, two up, and luggage mode makes sense. Otherwise one uses the rider with luggage to get the single rider setting close. And so on.
I'm no expert, but I've spent way more hours reading on the forum than I care to admit, especially prior to my purchase, and I've never run across anyone saying this possible. I think most people just adjust to the next level as needed. Would be kind of cool to manually set the inital setting for yourself and then use ESA from that point.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #30
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
I've never seen this question answered either.

Wilbers takes a lot of pride in selecting the correct spring for your weight. Seems to me that if the ESA bikes are coming from BMW undersprung, no matter how much you adjust preload, it will still be undersprung. I've always felt that should I ever buy ESA, I would need to get those shocks resprung.

But I haven't confirmed this. Just my reasoning...