User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #106
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 2,039
Replace 2001 Dash with newer one...

The plastic nubs that hold the dash onto the mask have broken off one by one on Legs. The first couple ones I screwed and glued them back on, but the third one broke and it was time to replace the dash. You can see the broken one and sort of see the repaired one on the other side.

I had bought a used dash on the flea market a couple years ago but found that it was a newer style. The tach and Trailtech Vector fit OK but the indicator lights don't have a place to go. The indicator lights are mounted in a hole that has a square shoulder countersink and held on with circlips in the back of the dash. I didn't think I would be able to make an accurate countersink to hold the lights in. Here's the Vecto mounted. - no place to put the lights!

I decided to mount the lights with their shoulder on the surface of the dash instead of countersunk. Now the circlips won't go on. The solution was some fuel line hose clamps

The completed job looks OK but I got the speedo a little crooked. Now I even have a 12v outlet, although nothing to plug in.

Tiger 800 - FOR SALE
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:42 PM   #107
mada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Trying to get my dash in order which consist only of a roadbook and the ktm roadbook holder.
The problem is when standing (which I do 80% of the time), the roadbook gets in the way of the tripmaster.
I made a simple bracket to raise the roadbook but still the same issue.
I was thinking of moving the tripmaster out from its box by a few cm but as its only held by plastic it may vibrate too much. Another idea was to possibly relocate the tripmaster beneath the roadbook but then it seem to get very close to the bars when turning.
Does anyone have any idea on any simple and cheap solution (no $500 touratech brackets please)?
I would really like to avoid trying out 5 prototypes so any ideas or even better solutions would be much appreciated.

mada screwed with this post 08-31-2012 at 01:55 PM
mada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:09 AM   #108
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by mada View Post
Trying to get my dash in order which consist only of a roadbook and the ktm roadbook holder.
The problem is when standing (which I do 80% of the time), the roadbook gets in the way of the tripmaster.
Does anyone have any idea on any simple and cheap solution (no $500 touratech brackets please)?
My RAM Aquabox is likely smaller than your roadbook holder but you could always ditch the KTM roadbook holder and try a RAM mount on the dash:

Order parts that will get the roadbook into the dash area as much as possible. My install thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659070

ps - I think even my aquabox obscures my tripmaster a bit when standing as I thought it would be great if it didn't, but if I'm standing I don't think I should be focusing on the road so I didn't bother with a fix.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #109
kelvyn
KTM AdventureR

Oddometer: 28
bumping an old thread, with a new pic

Had nothing to contribute to this earlier - this is how mine set up looks now.

two standard thickness innertubes as spares, with a couple of glow sticks underneath, garmin 60csx and scotts steering damper.

KTM Cockpit by KSDigital, on Flickr

Oh and 50ft of paracord.
kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #110
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappet View Post
Here's the dash on my new Adv, it's quite simple. The KTM/Touratech bar brace and the $15 handlebar mount from Garmin. It's actually a bicycle mount but with a little tube rubber wrapped around the mount it works fine soaking up the vibes and is as tight as you like.
Which length bar brace did you go with? And which handguards are you using?
S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #111
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,083
best of both worlds.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #112
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,848
Wisix, For the Scott's did you weld the post to the frame,

Scotto, aren't you an old name on the boards, haven't seen your posts for some time.

Be well both.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #113
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,176
Bill;
I am nearing completion of a Scott's under bar damper mount............here is what I used..........
-Stenhouse mount for the damper
-Scott's bolt on post mount.

My bike is a 2005 Adventure. I had a long discussion with Steve at Scott's while purchasing my mount kit. It seems like there are quite a few variables in different year Adventures and some require more work than others.
I purchased both a bolt on and weld on post mount with 2 different post lengths............I was lucky and used the bolt on without any modification to the top tripple clamp. Some 640's need mod's to the top clamp and filing the frame. Go to the Scott's website for details.

Steve just told me to use what I needed and send back the unused parts for a full refund.......what more could I ask for??? I was really impressed with the service at Scott's.......super fast shipping and very professional packing job!

You will also need 2 short nuts to clear the bolt on post mount.

Stenhouse mount will increase the bar height by 15mm..........but longer spacers are available.

Send me a pm if you need any more details.

Cheers
Old 12-09-2012, 06:15 AM   #114
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Wisix, For the Scott's did you weld the post to the frame,

Be well both.
bill
Yes I welded to the frame. I did have to extend the original bracket to make up some height tho.

I wanted to go to and under bar mount but this setup was much nicer on my wallet plus it's very accessible for adjustments.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #115
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Scotto, aren't you an old name on the boards, haven't seen your posts for some time.
Been around since about 2004. I'm posting here and there. The bike is more or less fine, so no need to pick brains.

Quote:
Be well both.
Thanks.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:31 AM   #116
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,946
tHis is my racing office from the last 24hrs race.

mAny thanks to all these posts here and there and the inmates who helped my design and built the nav tower