User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Astolfo OP
Wicked Slow

Oddometer: 755
Pissed "LAMP" Warning and all the bulbs are good

all the lights, BUT not the headlights and the little one, work. disconnected the battery for over an hour, there is continuity on the bulbs, replaced them and still NOTHING.
Help please. I need my bike to go to work when it is still very dark around here in the PNW.
TIA
Astolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,558
When you have a lamp fault, and you replace the bulb, the lamp fault will not clear until you start the engine. Start the engine and see if the lamp fault persists.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
Astolfo OP
Wicked Slow

Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
When you have a lamp fault, and you replace the bulb, the lamp fault will not clear until you start the engine. Start the engine and see if the lamp fault persists.
Thanks, I tried that a few times. I also diconnected the battery for over 2 hours to see if that helped.

GB, thank you for your suggestion, and taking the time to answer.
Astolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,147
Have you checked the connection going into the lamp housing? You should be able to meter at that connection for further testing.

Seems weird if you have continuity. Just turning the bike off should reset any flipped CANBUS circuit.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
Ditto. Just so know, that running/parking light in the high beam nacelle comes on when you turn the key. The main lights come on with the engine running.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Ditto. Just so know, that running/parking light in the high beam nacelle comes on when you turn the key. The main lights come on with the engine running.

I assume you have a problem because you say all 3 go out. I also think you read you replaced all 3 bulbs.

This could be a short in the wire harness causing the computer to cut off the voltage because of overload. (that is what the main computer does, but everybody confuses this action and calls it canbus).
You could remove the bulb, and see if you have continuity between the positive side of each bulb and ground. This would indicate a short.

This is a 2012? Why are you not letting the dealer fix it?
Old 02-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astolfo View Post
all the lights, BUT not the headlights and the little one, work. disconnected the battery for over an hour, there is continuity on the bulbs, replaced them and still NOTHING.
Help please. I need my bike to go to work when it is still very dark around here in the PNW.
TIA
The pilot light (little one) and headlight use a common ground. I can't remember where it becomes common, but somewhere in the harness. The high beam and low beam and pilot lights all use separate hots and circuit protection, and the high and low beam use separate grounds.

Sounds like either your headlight cluster connector is unplugged, destroyed, or your ZFE has fried,

Barring the headlight cluster plug being disconnected, you need a dealer or if not under warranty, at least a darn good tech with modern BMW experience.

A software glitch could theoretically cause this, but it would be a wild glitch.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:46 AM   #8
togume
On the Black Beast

Oddometer: 48
Confirming

Chiming in to confirm that one must fully turn on the engine for the fault to clear, and for the system to start sending power to replaced bulbs. I put in a new H7 to replace a clearly dead one, after noticing it due to the "LAMP", and it did not work by turning the bike to the ON position. It turned on on first crank.

Thanks for the tip! Came useful after scratching head for 10 minutes.
togume is offline   Reply With Quote