User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
CaliKarl OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Losing some oil

I changed the oil 625 miles ago at 21,500. I've lost some oil since. First time in the bike's history that it hasn't retained all the oil. No leaks anywhere; no obvious sweating at the valve cover gasket. I checked the valves at 12,500 and, while one exhaust was a bit tight, it was well within spec. Should I rush to get the valves adjusted? Currently the bike is my only mode of transport; and, I need it every day. Thanks for any input. I'm attempting to get my 800GS as clean and nice as possible over the next couple of months.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKarl View Post
I changed the oil 625 miles ago at 21,500. I've lost some oil since. First time in the bike's history that it hasn't retained all the oil. No leaks anywhere; no obvious sweating at the valve cover gasket. I checked the valves at 12,500 and, while one exhaust was a bit tight, it was well within spec. Should I rush to get the valves adjusted? Currently the bike is my only mode of transport; and, I need it every day. Thanks for any input. I'm attempting to get my 800GS as clean and nice as possible over the next couple of months.
When the valves move.....due to dirt ingestion promoting wear... they get tighter. I suppose you noted the value...... Check it again at about 6000 miles..... Have you noticed it moving before.??? You are looking for a trend here...... The valve would have nothing to do with oil consumption. Are you using synthetic oil...????? if yes.... for how long..... If you started using synthetic before the rings had set....it could burn a little oil. Fix.... change to mineral oil....and do several WOT throttle runs through the gears....... How much oil was missing.....?????

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
CaliKarl OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm leaking oil! Oh shit! It appears just above the head, but I cannot clearly see a trail. And it's not obviously coming from the valves. I have 22,700 on the bike and need to do the valve adjustment at 24,000. But would the valves being tight cause this leak? Should I take it over to the dealership and rent a car for a couple days, if it takes that long (for the time being the GS is my only mode of transport)? Thanks for your advice, sincerely and truly.

Karl

CaliKarl screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 03:47 PM
CaliKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
jttele
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKarl View Post
I'm leaking oil! Oh shit! It appears just above the head, but I cannot clearly see a trail. And it's not obviously coming from the valves. I have 22,700 on the bike and need to do the valve adjustment at 24,000. But would the valves being tight cause this leak? Should I take it over to the dealership and rent a car for a couple days, if it takes that long (for the time being the GS is my only mode of transport). Thanks for your advice, sincerely and truly.

Karl
Your valves and your oil leak have nothing to do with each other. They are in no way connected or associated with each other. If the engine is running well still and not making and wierd noises or such, you could just keep an eye on the oil leak and top up when needed. It just depends on how bad the leak is as to when you want to do something about it. You might also check all the hoses from the crankcase vent on the top of the engine to see if one of those is loose or leaking. To track the leak the best, you could clean all the area and then apply baby powder to areas you think might be leaking. That will show the source of the leak the best.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
CaliKarl OP
Studly Adventurer

The oil is coming out of the water pump weep hole. Having read a few posts, I'm guessing this a result of the water pump seal not doing its job. Ought this be covered under warranty? And what may have caused this? Thanks.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:33 AM   #6
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,117
Some hoser (me) started a thread on that issue here:

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...-on-water-pump

If it is a substantial amount of oil I would think you could get a new pump or new o-rings/seals for the pump.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:11 AM   #7
Cambi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
It is a warranty item - I changed 2 units but for water coolant issues through the weep hole
Cambi is offline   Reply With Quote