Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2012, 07:42 AM   #16
NotAllWhoWanderRLost
Lost

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMark View Post
Put brand new K60's on my 800 a few weeks ago and then rode a 7 day road trip around colorado to Santa Fe the long way. 85% street 15% dirt. My impression is that there was an unstable feeling at certain speeds and in the grooved roads for sure. At speeds over 90-95 (raced home for a forest fire) I think they had a bit of an unstable feeling. Other than that I think it was the tread pattern. I got used to it. I still think its a good tire, and will put them on the new bike (old bike melted down in forest fire).
MountainMark,
I'm sorry to hear about your loss to the fire, I hope everyone is OK. Please let us Inmates know if we can help.

NotAllWhoWanderRLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #17
Pabigwoods
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Revisited

I was think about yesterday's ride this morning, and I realized something. I am not noticing the vibrations when slowing down anymore. It has to be tread pattern related. I have 2400 miles on the tires now. All the sharp edges when new must be worn off now.

Just my 2
Old 07-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #18
petzi-baer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Cry

2008-Monster 695-Ashes,RIP

looks like you lost quite a few bikes in the fire. Sorry to hear. Hope all was covered by insurance and you will able to replace them soon.

take care

petzi-baer
petzi-baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #19
Rigalo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I had the same issue on K60 on rear and T63 front. At 1st I thought it was the un-even pattern on the T63. I just fitted a new T63 font and E07 rear, and I have checked if I could pick this 25-40 mph vibe up again, but not this time. Just glad to hear others have experienced the same on the K60. So, to me, I think it would be from the K60 rear, resonating to the font. Don't know if it is plausible though, but seems like it.

On a side note, the 1st K60 rear was rather off centre as well. Did not bother me at 1st, until a cager stopped me and said I must have a look at my rear tyre, it wobbles rather a lot. Well, the local supplier changed it out for me.
Rigalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #20
Travism
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I noticed the vibration also when I switched from the stock pirellis to the k60s. it was most noticeable around 20mph. A little more so when decelerating. Gone by 30 mph.

1K later I don't notice it anymore. I assumed it was a normal consequence of switching from street tires to a DS tire.
Travism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #21
costas68gr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I think the vibrations came from bended front whell
Old 07-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #22
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
I have an '09 R1200GS with TKC-80's front and rear. I use no wheel weights and use RideOn instead. Seems to balance just fine. My rear TKC-80 is just about done and I will replace it with a Heidenau K60 150 and use RideOn again. Once I get some miles on the tires, I'll post again.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #23
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
K-60

I had the front and rear installed on my F800GS at the NoMar booth in Sedalia. Steve told me I'd notice a different feel and some more noise compared to the Anakees I took off.
Noticed it at slow speed in the front and seems a bit noisier but there is a lot of tread there. After 650 miles less noise and they "feel" great. That grooved road business is a bit unnerving but stll better than the TKC 80s.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:41 AM   #24
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post
I had the front and rear installed on my F800GS at the NoMar booth in Sedalia. Steve told me I'd notice a different feel and some more noise compared to the Anakees I took off.
Noticed it at slow speed in the front and seems a bit noisier but there is a lot of tread there. After 650 miles less noise and they "feel" great. That grooved road business is a bit unnerving but stll better than the TKC 80s.
balanced mine with a No Mar balance stand after changing out tire by hand. took all original weight off before starting.

perhaps I got lucky, K60 front tire was almost perfectly balanced without any weight. K60 rear tire took minimal weight to balance, compared to new Shinko 705's that was removed.

was a bumpy ride for about 500 miles, then smoothed out nicely.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #25
Icarp
n00b

Oddometer: 6
i have k60 scouts on my gs 1100 and love them . this is the second set 11,000 miles on the first set
probably rode about 3,000 miles on dirt and they are about 15% less sure footed than the TCK 80's
in the loose, soft , stuff . tire pressure for me is 32 psi front and rear hot ,even two up.
i have run them as low as 26 in all dirt when im on a trail for 5-8 hours
when they are mounted it is important to use plenty of soap or gooo so the bead seats well
i have been in down pour rain at 100 mph and the bike is steady as a rock
leaned over so far as to drag my foot off the pegs plenty of times , carving or in the dirt , i love these tires
iv'e convinced my friends to run them as well and they love them too
Icarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #26
InTheMuck
So it goes...

Oddometer: 317
I just had a new K60 rear installed/balanced and left a TKC80 with 4k miles on the front. I get a vibration similar to what many people are reporting, coming from the rear at approx 10-15 mph. Guys at the shop said the rear balanced perfectly, so I am guessing it is the tread. Since most people report it either goes away or they get used to it after a while, and it doesn't seem to impact performance, I guess I won't worry about it...

I havent been everywhere, but its on my list."
InTheMuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #27
donnh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Same problem here

I had new Scouts installed by the dealer on my F800GS last week and have the same vibration problem. This is my second set and I never had this problem before. When I got home I pulled the wheels and put them on my spin balancer to check the balance and run out, they checked out ok. I noticed the dealer set the back at 36PSI which is higher than I ran my last tires. We've been getting record rain around here the last few days so when I get a chance I'm going to lower the pressure to 30 or 32 and see if that makes a difference.

I switched to Heidenau tires after years of running TKC80's I like the TKCs but they do wear fast. The Scouts certainly last longer and hook up pretty good offroad but can be a little slick in the mud. I like the earlier suggestion of a TKC80 on the front, I might try that sometime.

I'm leaving in 6 weeks for South America on these tires, I'll be starting a ride report soon.
donnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #28
rideoregon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Same exact problem with Shinko 705's

I've run Michelon Anakee's and Continental TKC 80's on my bike with no issues whatsoever. Recently though I put a set of Shinko 705's on and I'm experiencing the same problem you describe here with the Heidanau's. The vibration occurs at 20 mph and is very consistent.
rideoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #29
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 832
Running the old style K60 on the back and a TKC 80 on front with no problems. The front K60 never would settle down on vibration and felt loose off road. No complaints with the TKC 80 on front.
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #30
jimmy mac
mac attack

Oddometer: 5
800mi on my k60s on my klr and no vibs, smooth on pavement, love the rear, front could be improved in the loose stuff.
jimmy mac is offline   Reply With Quote