Old 09-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #16
b dash rian OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Alright, time to type something up.

Day 1, Monday, August 28th

Golden, CO to Great Salt Plains Lake State Park, Alfalfa, OK
570 miles

Met up with Rick at his warehouse in Denver to pick up the bike and do the paperwork business, after stopping by the Redverz shipping/fulfillment wearhouse to pick up a dry bag my dad had ordered.

Turns out Rick is the father of a guy that I worked with before he moved on company wise. Small world, considering i just found the bike on Craigslist Denver, and gave him a ring!

Also turns out Rick has a spectacular collection of vintage motocross and trials bikes... that i did not get a picture of. He also has another GSPD (94 i think?). So upon completion of paper and what not, we went for a little spin, up to the Mt. Evans road. Man, there are a lot of turns on that road! Made for a great shakedown ride.

Back to my friends house, helped changed the oil on another friends R32, and pulled the plywood off the back rack. I love how this bike looks 'naked.'

Next morning, got myself packed up and hit the road East.

Tires came with the bike, along with the front air dam. I was showing my friend where the air dam goes, and forgot about it when i was loading up the bike. But luckily, i stopped for gas on my way out of Golden, and found the air dam bumping into the headers and had melted/burned a bit. That smelled. Bad. Also, upon burning, it seems that the plastic turns into some sort of gooey, liquiedy, petroleum like product. that makes a mess
Got that tucked under the tires for the rest of the trip, and worked quite well there!

And off i head, down 85, and out East on CO 86 to Limon, then southeast on US287 and onto Lamar. From Lamar, out US50/400 into Kansas. Where i found some construction.

Sat there for long enough to get off the bike, drink some water, walk around, and consider taking the grassland route around the the construction (since i'd already tried the gravel roads heading south... that promptly ended at a closed, and very locked gate. Bummer). Then rode behind the pilot car for a few miles, past the blast furnace of a road paving machine they were running.

A few miles outside of Pratt, KS, i cut south on a whim towards "Croft, KS." Good luck with google maps... you have to been zoomed southwest of Pratt, KS before GMaps knows where it is.

Had a bit of an "Oh !@#$" moment, when the nice, hardpacked dirt turned into 6" deep sand with little or no visual change... a few big wobbles/tankslappers, and i came out of it Ok, though a bit shaken. COntinued southeast through Sun City, KS, and eventually to Great Salt Plains Lake, OK, where i spent the night. Got a bit lost in OK, but found the campground eventually, and even chased an armadillo around a field on the bike for a few minutes! No pics here. i should have though, it was pretty rad looking, and smelled very oceanic. A bit strange to wake up to that (and a school bus?) in western Oklahoma.

b dash rian screwed with this post 09-04-2012 at 07:40 PM
b dash rian is online now   Reply With Quote