Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #286
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
A sticker does not a WP fork make.

They are still the same low budget Marzocchi 45mm units on the 2013 models.

If you want proper WPs on there you will have to put them on yourself!

Oh stop it you tease.

I saved up the funds for my new front end project and my daughter rings and wants to borrow exactly the amount I'd saved.

The pricing on the new models here hasn't really moved much from the old models. So the 700 is nearly $7000 cheaper than the 800. Makes the 700 the pick of the 2.

The difference is primarily the suspension. A little performance difference, but to be honest it suits 2-up or riding mostly of road anyway.

For $7000, you throw away the suspension, fit proper stuff and then put a power commander or similar on it. Racks, panniers, and all the bling. I can't seriously see why anyone would buy the 800 here with the pricing the way it is.

I'd buy the KTM990R in preference to the F800 at our prices as there's only $2000 difference. They had the 1200GS going for only $4000 more than the 800.

They make me wonder exactly who they want to sell the 800 to in Australia? After owning one, and with the current pricing the way it is, I'd have to honestly say it doesn't even make the short list for a replacement for my existing F800 now.

I'd get the 1200GS in preference with the pricing as it is for 2-up touring work with dirt roads as a base, and the KTM for mostly 2-up dirt roads with solo hard core stuff thrown in. If money was an issue it'd be the 700GS.

The F800 here at least, has been priced for extinction in my humble opinion.

But they'll still sell them to blokes who want to show up at the regular weekend ride haunts and look all hard core while sipping their lattes.

Pity.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #287
lunaticTR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Ahhh! When I have just got used to the signal contols

Now they switch the switch to the clasic system. I would get used to this system much quicker but did not like the position of the button for the emergency fours. Its is kind of far away from easy reach. I normally could hit both turn signals at the same time while grabbing the clutch and front brakes to prevent the guy coming behind me at full speed from running over me while the traffic ahead is jammed. This design is no good. At least they could have switched the places with the info/abs or whatever the button next to it that is closer to the grip.
And one more thing.
Unleaden road ready weight is 209kg vs. 199kg 10kg more
dry wight is 186kg vs. 179 only 7kg more. Where is the 3kg of fluids go to. Not in the engine or the fuel tank since thet are the same. I doubt if it in the cooling system. Where is it then?

lunaticTR screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 10:50 AM
lunaticTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #288
Inelastic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
The F700GS

Hello champions of life:

Never ridden and I'm gonna buy a bike people. Been planning for the last three years, and being located in the middle east everything is a rip off. Started off thinking I was gonna get a wee, they wouldn't order it, saw the versys, it was 3K USD above US MSRP. So now I'm looking at the F700gs and gonna put an offer on it, right now I can get it for about 11.5K USD, the catch is the Suzuki dealership just got the '12 wee but it's listed at 10.8K USD. BMW has two years service, Suzuki one. I think the 700 is a winner in terms of budget today, but.l.

The question: everyone says BMW will break down, electronic problems, etc, and when they do I'll be shelling out a lot. Shoud this be a big concern?

I'll be riding mainly asphalt until I am confident and then desert tracks throughout the gulf (UAE, OMAN, etc). Eventually I plan on moving back to the states and will most likely take it with me (if less than four years from now).

So yeah, I very much appreciate your wisdom and encouragement.

P.s. all the used bikes here are imported wrecks from Japan and most are cruisers or sport bikes. Occasionally a dual sport is listed but often a larger bike and/or too close to msrp.

Inelastic screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 03:05 PM Reason: Addendum
Inelastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #289
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inelastic View Post
The question: everyone says BMW will break down, electronic problems, etc, and when they do I'll be shelling out a lot. Shoud this be a big concern?
I think that BMW has learned some things since the F800GS and friends were introduced.
There have been re-designs/reworks of the
  • Cam chain tensioner
  • Regulator/Rectifier
  • Stator
  • Fuel tank (not sure it's fixed yet though...)
  • Various other bits (like the front brake reservoir and etc...)
It still might cost more to maintain than other brands, but the 2013s seem pretty solid to me.
Unless it's changed the 3-yr. warranty is a nice feature!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #290
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 523
Buy the F700GS

I test rode a WeStrom before I bought a F650GS in 2010.
The We is a very reliable bike....but not perfect...note it does not have a bunch of obsessive hypocrondiracts dissecting every issue on the blogs.
The We is heavier, a bit less power, a bit poorer handling and a good amount cheaper.

The BMW is faster, handles better, has a HUGE number of farkles, but cost more. Makes me smile!

I've had my 2010 F650GS 3 years, 31k miles...no problems, just replaced front brake pads, new chain and put on my 4th set of tires. Did 10k mile Alaska and back trip this summer. love the bike
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #291
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
... note it does not have a bunch of obsessive hypocrondiracts dissecting every issue on the blogs.
Hey ... I represent that remark!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:30 AM   #292
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

It's not hyochondria if your bike has actually failed.

You know....from riding.

Then it's called "BMW ownership".

It's like a sadomasachistic fetish. You know you shouldn't...you know what happened last time...but it's just so tempting...it's gunna hurt so bad, but feel so good...

Those Germans know how to exploit sadomasachism. The cruel bastards.

I think it's all about payback for the WW's. They aim their high end bikes and cars at the "intelligencia" in the Western World, and send us all stark raving mad with frustration, then the master race will rise again to take their rightful place.

Cunning bastards. Playing the long game.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:24 AM   #293
Scapadu
Motomaniac

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
A question for the 650 owners, does it look like the engine guards for the 650 will work for the 700?
For what concerns the GIVI CB i had , the answer is Yes!

Visit Corsica Corsica Photo
Scapadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:34 AM   #294
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,920
Quote:

the only problem I had in three years of ownership of an F800GS was totaling it when I crashed in July. Problem was not BMW but the operator.
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #295
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
It's like a sadomasachistic fetish. You know you shouldn't...you know what happened last time...but it's just so tempting...it's gunna hurt so bad, but feel so good...

Those Germans know how to exploit sadomasachism. The cruel bastards.

Cunning bastards. Playing the long game.
They know how to exploit it because they kinda "invented" it

From Wikipedia: "Both terms were introduced to the medical field by German psychiatrist Richard von Krafft-Ebing in his 1886 compilation of case studies Psychopathia Sexualis".
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #296
Inelastic
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I think that BMW has learned some things since the F800GS and friends were introduced.
There have been re-designs/reworks of the
  • Cam chain tensioner
  • Regulator/Rectifier
  • Stator
  • Fuel tank (not sure it's fixed yet though...)
  • Various other bits (like the front brake reservoir and etc...)
It still might cost more to maintain than other brands, but the 2013s seem pretty solid to me.
Unless it's changed the 3-yr. warranty is a nice feature!
Thanks for the input!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #297
Inelastic
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
Buy the F700GS

I test rode a WeStrom before I bought a F650GS in 2010.
The We is a very reliable bike....but not perfect...note it does not have a bunch of obsessive hypocrondiracts dissecting every issue on the blogs.
The We is heavier, a bit less power, a bit poorer handling and a good amount cheaper.

The BMW is faster, handles better, has a HUGE number of farkles, but cost more. Makes me smile!

I've had my 2010 F650GS 3 years, 31k miles...no problems, just replaced front brake pads, new chain and put on my 4th set of tires. Did 10k mile Alaska and back trip this summer. love the bike
Very helpful, I think you have a point also about the price, maybe since its more expensive than other bikes people tend to over analyze it. I mean, no one criticizses cheap beer, you know what your in for, but start talking about microbrews and all of a sudden it matters that its organic!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #298
Inelastic
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakota View Post
the only problem I had in three years of ownership of an F800GS was totaling it when I crashed in July. Problem was not BMW but the operator.
i hope you were able to walk away!
Old 09-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #299
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,299
Quote:
Very helpful, I think you have a point also about the price, maybe since its more expensive than other bikes people tend to over analyze it. I mean, no one criticizses cheap beer, you know what your in for, but start talking about microbrews and all of a sudden it matters that its organic!
I never saw it that way! Amazing POV, I'll keep that one in mind for my next buy
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:55 AM   #300
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

So in a way he's saying if you pay more you expect more?

Oh oh. There's that sense of entitlement raising it's ugly head again.

Just to really throw a cat among the pigeons, have you seen the KTM 1290R that's in pre-production testing?

OH_MY_GOD.

150 HP.

Oh Lordy Lord.....there's the making of a 3000 page tyre thread right there.

I've booked 2-up test rides with my Wife on R1200GS-A, and I'll be doing another KTM990R run 2-up. Preferably within a day or two of each other.

My salesman friend did mention the new F series in passing..."Oh, there's a new demo F800 and F700 coming in a couple of weeks...but you probably wont want to know about them...nothing much has changed".