ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 03:30 AM   #286
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 1,839
It's not hyochondria if your bike has actually failed.

You know....from riding.

Then it's called "BMW ownership".

It's like a sadomasachistic fetish. You know you shouldn't...you know what happened last time...but it's just so tempting...it's gunna hurt so bad, but feel so good...

Those Germans know how to exploit sadomasachism. The cruel bastards.

I think it's all about payback for the WW's. They aim their high end bikes and cars at the "intelligencia" in the Western World, and send us all stark raving mad with frustration, then the master race will rise again to take their rightful place.

Cunning bastards. Playing the long game.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:24 AM   #287
Scapadu
Motomaniac
 
Scapadu's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: South France
Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
A question for the 650 owners, does it look like the engine guards for the 650 will work for the 700?
For what concerns the GIVI CB i had , the answer is Yes!
__________________
Time is not a test for truth.
"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the
most of us...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..." N.M.

Visit Corsica Corsica Photo
Scapadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:34 AM   #288
lakota
Geeser
 
lakota's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Annapolis MD
Oddometer: 3,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inelastic View Post

The question: everyone says BMW will break down, electronic problems, etc, and when they do I'll be shelling out a lot. Shoud this be a big concern?

.
the only problem I had in three years of ownership of an F800GS was totaling it when I crashed in July. Problem was not BMW but the operator.
__________________
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #289
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv
 
Loutre's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: :o)
Oddometer: 3,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
It's like a sadomasachistic fetish. You know you shouldn't...you know what happened last time...but it's just so tempting...it's gunna hurt so bad, but feel so good...

Those Germans know how to exploit sadomasachism. The cruel bastards.

Cunning bastards. Playing the long game.
They know how to exploit it because they kinda "invented" it

From Wikipedia: "Both terms were introduced to the medical field by German psychiatrist Richard von Krafft-Ebing in his 1886 compilation of case studies Psychopathia Sexualis".
Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #290
Inelastic
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Pangea
Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I think that BMW has learned some things since the F800GS and friends were introduced.
There have been re-designs/reworks of the
  • Cam chain tensioner
  • Regulator/Rectifier
  • Stator
  • Fuel tank (not sure it's fixed yet though...)
  • Various other bits (like the front brake reservoir and etc...)
It still might cost more to maintain than other brands, but the 2013s seem pretty solid to me.
Unless it's changed the 3-yr. warranty is a nice feature!
Thanks for the input!
Inelastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #291
Inelastic
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Pangea
Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
Buy the F700GS

I test rode a WeStrom before I bought a F650GS in 2010.
The We is a very reliable bike....but not perfect...note it does not have a bunch of obsessive hypocrondiracts dissecting every issue on the blogs.
The We is heavier, a bit less power, a bit poorer handling and a good amount cheaper.

The BMW is faster, handles better, has a HUGE number of farkles, but cost more. Makes me smile!

I've had my 2010 F650GS 3 years, 31k miles...no problems, just replaced front brake pads, new chain and put on my 4th set of tires. Did 10k mile Alaska and back trip this summer. love the bike
Very helpful, I think you have a point also about the price, maybe since its more expensive than other bikes people tend to over analyze it. I mean, no one criticizses cheap beer, you know what your in for, but start talking about microbrews and all of a sudden it matters that its organic!
Inelastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #292
Inelastic
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Pangea
Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakota View Post
the only problem I had in three years of ownership of an F800GS was totaling it when I crashed in July. Problem was not BMW but the operator.
i hope you were able to walk away!
Inelastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #293
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv
 
Loutre's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: :o)
Oddometer: 3,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inelastic View Post
Very helpful, I think you have a point also about the price, maybe since its more expensive than other bikes people tend to over analyze it. I mean, no one criticizses cheap beer, you know what your in for, but start talking about microbrews and all of a sudden it matters that its organic!
I never saw it that way! Amazing POV, I'll keep that one in mind for my next buy
Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:55 AM   #294
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 1,839
So in a way he's saying if you pay more you expect more?

Oh oh. There's that sense of entitlement raising it's ugly head again.


Just to really throw a cat among the pigeons, have you seen the KTM 1290R that's in pre-production testing?



OH_MY_GOD.

150 HP.


Oh Lordy Lord.....there's the making of a 3000 page tyre thread right there.


I've booked 2-up test rides with my Wife on R1200GS-A, and I'll be doing another KTM990R run 2-up. Preferably within a day or two of each other.

My salesman friend did mention the new F series in passing..."Oh, there's a new demo F800 and F700 coming in a couple of weeks...but you probably wont want to know about them...nothing much has changed".
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:30 AM   #295
Inelastic
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Pangea
Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
So in a way he's saying if you pay more you expect more?

Oh oh. There's that sense of entitlement raising it's ugly head again.


Just to really throw a cat among the pigeons, have you seen the KTM 1290R that's in pre-production testing?



OH_MY_GOD.

150 HP.


Oh Lordy Lord.....there's the making of a 3000 page tyre thread right there.


I've booked 2-up test rides with my Wife on R1200GS-A, and I'll be doing another KTM990R run 2-up. Preferably within a day or two of each other.

My salesman friend did mention the new F series in passing..."Oh, there's a new demo F800 and F700 coming in a couple of weeks...but you probably wont want to know about them...nothing much has changed".
The 990r looks like a sweet bike, a little tall for a noob like myself I think, but nice. It reminds me of the husqvarna Nuda 900r? Also, considering the lack of change in the 700/800 its not always a bad sign, but maybe just that they see no changes to make...take the baseball for example, not much change since late 1800s.
Inelastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #296
RobertAmsterdam
www.twbastards.com
 
RobertAmsterdam's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Amsterdam
Oddometer: 192
The new r1200gs LC gets the same agressive look the new 800+700 have according to Wunderich



__________________
2010 F800GS + TWBASTARD TW200
www.twbastards.com
RobertAmsterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #297
Inelastic
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Pangea
Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertAmsterdam View Post
The new r1200gs LC gets the same agressive look the new 800+700 have according to Wunderich



That looks like it should be in the new total recall movie!
Inelastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #298
soph9
Bike Addict
 
soph9's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Maple Ridge, BC Canada
Oddometer: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
No ... I was not, I was a bit pressed for time and the bike was tied up in the middle of the showroom.
4 more HP, and like you say ... maybe different throttle response oh and slightly more aggressive gearing 42/17
I wonder if the suspension is actually different or if it's the same suspension (mechanically speaking),
with a control circuit dropped on top... ???
you going to buy an 800?

Cheryl got hers and mine at the end of the month....

soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #299
toowheels
on a mission...
 
toowheels's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
you going to buy an 800?

Cheryl got hers and mine at the end of the month....

Hey Leslie and Cheryl,

That garage is almost starting to look full!

RobertAmsterdam...interesting pics and good find on the R1250 GS's! Supposed to be all the details coming out Oct 2...

Dave
__________________
Moto Overland [MOD] -Skid Plates, Top racks, Tool Boxes etc for Adventure bikes
www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #300
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here
 
Emperor Norton's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: North of Alcatraz
Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
you going to buy an 800?

Cheryl got hers and mine at the end of the month....

Are those F800s the low suspension version? If so how do they compare to your F650s What tipped you in favor of staying with BMW rather than moving to Triumph?
Emperor Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015