Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #91
alcanrider
alcanrider

Oddometer: 113
a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Thanks Hair! They look pretty sweet, but $80 is pretty steep if you ask me! Think I'll just buy a large wood clamp and that way I just need to twist the lever until the bead breaks
As you know from my posts I am very mechanically declined, but I read were one guy uses his bike kickstand with a little bit of weight to break the bead.
alcanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #92
alcanrider
alcanrider

I agree!

I am so against war that seeing this made me very sad...... what a waste, we could do so much better than this!
The only way I can cope with mankind's stupidity is in believing that everything happens for a reason.
Guess the only way to long for world peace is to finally get fed up with world war. I sure hope that comes around sooner than later!

I am a retired vet, and I hope someday the whole World will just realize what my Dr once told me..........."If everybody in the World started out their day with an IV, and then smoked a bong around noon, just think how much better we would all get along"

I heard those Words ten years ago, and it still makes me laugh, but it is probably true.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #93
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanrider View Post
Bottom line is, don't think badly of yourself just because you might be a little mechanically "declined", so to speak like I am. lol
Hmmm, actually I am very mechanically inclined.
I took Spirit apart all by myself and put her back together again
Here is my link to the KLR site with before and after pics.
http://klrworld.com/forums/project-l...lr-a-new-look/

I had trouble changing the tire because I couldn't break the bead. Now I just carry a big C-Clamp which should break the bead easily.
NomadGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #94
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,512
It looks like you are learning along the way and that's the fun way to learn. Like you I worry a lot and as soon as I get rid of one worry I find something else so I can relate to what you are saying about that.

Years ago I spend 6 months doing what you are doing, it was the best and I'm enjoying reliving the travels through you.

I hope you end up out in the NW during your journey, it's a great place to ride and I would enjoy the chance to meet you.

Keep riding and keep enjoying what you are doing.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #95
alcanrider
alcanrider

yes you are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Hmmm, actually I am very mechanically inclined.
I took Spirit apart all by myself and put her back together again
Here is my link to the KLR site with before and after pics.
http://klrworld.com/forums/project-l...lr-a-new-look/

I had trouble changing the tire because I couldn't break the bead. Now I just carry a big C-Clamp which should break the bead easily.
I am new to this, and wrote before getting to all that. You may notice, I edited that part out. You are obviously nothing like me when it comes to fixing stuff. I am impressed, and just a little bit jealous.....
Old 09-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #96
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 775
Hi Nomadgirl.
Was nice to cross your path while I was leaving GunFlint Lake on the GunFlint Trail last Friday 8/31.
Wish I had not passed you up on the main hwy coming into Grand Marias and been able to enjoy a cup of tea with you.
If you get back out to California, dinner and all the tea you can drink is on me.
I got home to Ca last night after leaving Duluth Sat 9/1 and headed to Devils Tower, WYO, then south to Mount Evans and then Pikes Peak, Co before turning west home. 2760 miles in 5 days.
I met this English fellow who you might enjoy reading about who is traveling cross country like yourself.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...60631&page=199
Can you spot me in post 2973 sitting on his bike "Dot"?
Wishing you safe travels and much happiness.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:33 AM   #97
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by holckster View Post
Hi Nomadgirl.
Was nice to cross your path while I was leaving GunFlint Lake on the GunFlint Trail last Friday 8/31.
Wish I had not passed you up on the main hwy coming into Grand Marias and been able to enjoy a cup of tea with you.
If you get back out to California, dinner and all the tea you can drink is on me.
I got home to Ca last night after leaving Duluth Sat 9/1 and headed to Devils Tower, WYO, then south to Mount Evans and then Pikes Peak, Co before turning west home. 2760 miles in 5 days.
I met this English fellow who you might enjoy reading about who is traveling cross country like yourself.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...60631&page=199
Can you spot me in post 2973 sitting on his bike "Dot"?
Wishing you safe travels and much happiness.
Hey Holckster! Glad to hear you got home safe and sound.
That much riding in 5 days, wow! Not me for though, I like to take things slowly, haha.
I will PM you if I ever get near California again. Yep, next time don't just race by when passing a gal on a bike, Hahaha.
Take care!
Old 09-07-2012, 04:58 AM   #98
CapnFish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66

Ratman, did you build that trailer?
Old 09-07-2012, 06:36 AM   #99
CapnFish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
NomadGal,

Thanks for the RR, enjoying it.

Travel safe, and far.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #100
NomadGal OP
Esther

Changed my oil yesterday, and today I got to wash Spirit!
She was pretty darn filthy, let me tell you. Most of the grease was due to chain lube! Doesn't fling off? My arse!
Well, now she's clean, but I also discovered that I lost my good luck charm (a little bell dangling from a sun) that Wayne from Lewiston Idaho gave me.
Then today I decided to post the same RR on my own blog and hopefully get to a point that adds will be put on it and that I will have an income from people reading my blog.
So for those of you willing to click on this link next week sometime, thanks!!
It probably won't be any use to do so beforehand because I haven't done the add thing yet, nor am I all the way done.

http://nomadgals-klr650-adventure.blogspot.com/
Old 09-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #101
alcanrider
alcanrider

Hey there Esther!

Love reading your RR. I also had a question about the lucid dreaming. I sent it pm. It should be in your inbox. thanks!
Old 09-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #102
DWR302
Justan Nudderboomer

Oddometer: 123
Been following long. Great RR. If you are still in TC you might check out M22 which goes south along Lake Michigan. Great road. Prolly someone has mentioned it already. The little village of Pentwater down the coast is nice too.
DWR302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #103
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR302 View Post
Been following long. Great RR. If you are still in TC you might check out M22 which goes south along Lake Michigan. Great road. Prolly someone has mentioned it already. The little village of Pentwater down the coast is nice too.
Thanks DWR, I had been thinking of taking that road. Glad to hear it's nice!
Old 09-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #104
NomadGal OP
Esther

I had a blast today!
My new friend Fred, his son Ricky and his friend Jordan and I went off-roading on our bikes.
Fred had a Honda CRF450R, Ricky Honda CRF150, Jordan CRF80 and me on Spirit!
Well, I think my heart dropped into my shoes again when I saw the "easy" trail. Well seeing as I'm not the one to say I can't, I decided just to follow. It was a single trail and mostly sandy. So I basically kept one foot on either side of the bike and slowly followed them. I guess it became obvious to them that I couldn't keep up so we did some two track road that was still sandy but easier. Then I asked Fred if we could switch bikes so he took Spirit on the single track and I took his CRF. Wow! those things are a blast!!

I actually rode fast through the sand around trees and narrow curves, through deep ruts and never crashed. It was awesome and I felt really empowered to have learned something new!
Then we ended up on a meadow of sorts and I tried to see if I could handle spirit better now seeing as I got a bit of a feel for the rough terrain.

There was a little hump in the meadow and I decided to see if I could actually get some air with Spirit.
I did! Awesome! Fred took some pictures but he missed me being totally airborne.
It's okay though you still see the rear tire in the air.

I was so happy to have done it successfully twice that I didn't see the dip in the grass when I stopped, so when I put my foot down and hit nothing but air, I tipped over! LOL

Then on the way back I started getting tired and at one point I ended up in the trees and crashed because a branch stopped me from going any further. I ended up Upside down with one leg pinned under the bike and the other in the air! I was laughing so hard because I must have looked so comical. Fred didn't take a picture, bummer. But he was just worried so that's understandable.
I'm nice and tired and sore, had dinner and am now relaxing.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #105
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,084
Ok

Been following along for a while and need to chime in here, MY GOD GIRL!!!, you've taken you bike apart and put it back together

again, ( according to JettenJim's report) ridden all over hell & half of Jordan in these united states and your just now hav'n fun in the sand?

Come on now--screw you courage to the sticking point, twist the throttle and enjoy, you are a far more advanced rider than you give yourself credit for.

Have no fear as there is nothing you can't do, just envision your self doing it then "pin it " & "do it " you'll be fine

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote