Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2005, 08:28 AM   #1
Flyingavanti OP
With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer: 1,545
R100GS Question from Lima Peru Help!

Hello to all....

I noticed my rear rim was etched on the right side. I removed the wheel and the housing for the drive line was also scratched. It was probably a piece of road debris, I hope. But I am checking it out completely (we are heading into the remote areas of eastern Peru). When I rotate, by hand, the wheel from forward to reverse, it seems 100% correct, which I believe says the drive line is alright.

The question I have is when I am on the left hand side of the bike and grab the wheel at 3 and 9 oclock I can move it 1 to 2 mms from side to side. Not a lot, but I want to be careful!

Is this normal? If anybody could check their bike and respond, I would be very appreciative! There are no BMW dealers in Peru!

Over 27,000 miles in South America -- which is NOT enough!

Here is a link to the South American Ride Report...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94531

Trip Index Page.... If you are interested in one spot in South America, you can click on this link http://www.ploung.com/south_america.htm and go directly to your point of interest.
www.Ploung.com
Flyingavanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 01:04 AM   #2
SmutMug
Banned

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingavanti
Hello to all....

I noticed my rear rim was etched on the right side. I removed the wheel and the housing for the drive line was also scratched. It was probably a piece of road debris, I hope. But I am checking it out completely (we are heading into the remote areas of eastern Peru). When I rotate, by hand, the wheel from forward to reverse, it seems 100% correct, which I believe says the drive line is alright.

The question I have is when I am on the left hand side of the bike and grab the wheel at 3 and 9 oclock I can move it 1 to 2 mms from side to side. Not a lot, but I want to be careful!

Is this normal? If anybody could check their bike and respond, I would be very appreciative! There are no BMW dealers in Peru!
Etched? Not sure what you mean ... 1 to 2 mm is ok.
SmutMug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 01:27 AM   #3
sashapave
riders on the strom

Oddometer: 1,427
hi dale,

my 100gs had always had a tiny bit of play in the rear wheel and didn't seem to effect the ride.

good luck down there!
-sasha
A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for. -Admiral Grace Hopper
sashapave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:04 AM   #4
sharkey
XLV750R

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingavanti
The question I have is when I am on the left hand side of the bike and grab the wheel at 3 and 9 oclock I can move it 1 to 2 mms from side to side.
Check wheel bolts, wheel bearings, paralever wristpin, swingarm bearings, depending on where the play is. You're sure it's not just the bike
wobbling about on its center stand?

I don't think 1-2mm is okay ... what seems like a little problem now
can turn into a much bigger problem later if not fixed. Tricky, as you say, in Peru.

-----sharks
sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 12:33 PM   #5
Flyingavanti OP
With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer: 1,545
The Internet and ADV Rider are too COOL!

Did not sleep well last night worrying about the bike and how to fix it and what to do. To have a problem like this induces depression! BUT......

Took all the advice and bought some tools this morning (like a 5 pound 18 inch 27mm wrench) and retorqued the bearing. Seems fine. No play! If the bearing is good, everything should be fine. Thanks to all for torque spec and blow ups of the drive line.

Sincerely appreciated by Sandy and I

Over 27,000 miles in South America -- which is NOT enough!

Here is a link to the South American Ride Report...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94531

Trip Index Page.... If you are interested in one spot in South America, you can click on this link http://www.ploung.com/south_america.htm and go directly to your point of interest.
www.Ploung.com
Flyingavanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 12:55 PM   #6
sashapave
riders on the strom

Oddometer: 1,427
Excellent! One less thing to worry about.

The nice part of touring loaded 2-up on the 100gs is the driveshaft should last longer (reducing the driveshaft angle).

-sasha
A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for. -Admiral Grace Hopper
sashapave is offline   Reply With Quote