Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #136
HeadShrinker
Lost for a Reason

Oddometer: 1,322
I sold my 06 12GSA and got a new S-10. I have to say that I'm liking the new bike. I like it better on twisty roads but do miss the sound and feeling of the boxer at the top end.

Life without the GSA in the drive takes some getting used to. The S10 may win me over, though.
HeadShrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #137
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,740
Ok!

I am rethinking my earlier post. I now have 3000kms on my new 2012 S10 and just recently sold my 08 GS1200 Loaded. So its been easy to compare. The GS is quicker and lighter but the S10 is a better Road Bike and I wouldn't have believed it originally but better on Gravel Roads too. The ABS and Traction Control are also better on the S10. Although the S10 lacks the ability to shift on the fly Traction Control( a biggie) like the GS does. The motor on the S10 is gruntier at lower RPMs. I am also sure the Yamaha will be more reliable with less Recalls. Tune ups arn't required every 10,000kms either, at $500. a pop at the Stealer. After owning the Super Tenere for 3 months, I doubt I'd ever buy another BMW, unless I won the lotto. Having bought my S10 in the U.S. I saved a bundle. The GS was $22,500. Cdn originally. Too much for what you get. But hey, I had a blast with it but did all my own servicing. Service at the Dealership kept trying to scare me about voiding warranty and all that BS. I am happy to be back on Japanese and won't miss all the BMW bull. Just ride and be happy.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #138
Parigi
Hoinar

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
Having bought my S10 in the U.S. I saved a bundle. The GS was $22,500. Cdn originally'
You forgot to tell us how much was for the S10, where did you buy it from and how complicated it was to register it Thanks
Parigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #139
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,740
$13,500.

In Kalispell. I have seen them go for less in the U.S.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #140
Greg the pole
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
In Kalispell. I have seen them go for less in the U.S.

Second that!
Greg the pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #141
Against The Wind
I'm older now but still runnin'

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
I am happy to be back on Japanese and won't miss all the BMW bull. Just ride and be happy.
I'm another ex-BMW owner. I'm so relieved to no longer have to keep on top of the latest issues with my bmw's.

Since getting a SuperTenere, I couldn't be happier.. the engine has a lot of "character", the transmission is super smooth, and nothing like the tractor engine on my previous 1200GS with its clunky transmission..

42,000 km valve check intervals, and I've had zero issues with my SuperTenere and in all honesty, I'd pay for more it than I would for a GS. TO ME, it's a better all around bike.. The ABS is flawless, unlike BMW's which still has shades of the "ice patch" effect when braking hard over rough pavement.

Every BMW I've owned has had "known issues" stemming from design flaws or poor quality parts. I've been stranded more than once far from home, thanks to bmw's shoddy quality.

I look forward to an enjoyable ownership experience with the reliability of the SuperTenere. I don't really care which bike the motojournos prefer, I've owned both.. I had the 1200GS for 48,000 km and I much prefer the SuperTenere.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #142
AKA HAL
workin' on the noob thing

Oddometer: 195
Bump. I'm a little ticked because the dealership just told me my final drive is starting to fail on my GS that's only got 30K on it. It's been a great bike, but this is ridiculous. Just researching my options... One of which is definitely just considering a new FD every now and then as the cost of doing business. Like I said-- I have loved the bike....
AKA HAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #143
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA HAL View Post
Bump. I'm a little ticked because the dealership just told me my final drive is starting to fail on my GS that's only got 30K on it. It's been a great bike, but this is ridiculous. Just researching my options... One of which is definitely just considering a new FD every now and then as the cost of doing business. Like I said-- I have loved the bike....
Final drives as consumables? 36,000 miles on my buddy's GS transmission?
C'mon. Get real BMW....

The BMW is a handsome bike and I understand why people love them. When new, the Tenere has a heavy stiff feel till about 1,500 miles. But with 24,000 over the last year I put gas in the Tenere, change the oil cuz I should, and motor on with zero doubt the entire drive train will be the same 200,000+ mile relaibility that the FJR has.

With the clutch switch mod opening up the engine in the 1st 3 gears for a whopping $2, the Tenere gives nothing to the GS in the engine department. The estimates and dynos say you get an extra 15 hp. The Super-T is a blast and can be a wheelie monster when it gets past break-in and has the mod. Yet I can still push the button to be in the old Sport or Touring modes if on a long distance tour, 2-up, or loaded in rain.

The Heidenau K60 tires seen to have been made for the bike, because when they start to slip on gravel or wet roads the traction control keeps them where they are supposed to be, plus they can go 20k miles. On gravel they are as sure-footed as can be.

And the ABS is a generation newer than what BMW runs. We were recently 2-up coming down a steep washed out gravel road that on a GS would have required turning off the ABS. On the Tenere the ABS just worked and did better than I could have done with none.

And prices can be found now under $12,500 US if you look.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #144
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
With the clutch switch mod opening up the engine in the 1st 3 gears for a whopping $2, the Tenere gives nothing to the GS in the engine department. The estimates and dynos say you get an extra 15 hp.
The "estimates and dynos" both confirm you get no extra peak hp. You do get snappier throttle response in the lower gears.

Switch on or off, in stock form, the S10 is about 5-hp down on the latest GS.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #145
kadesean
eyesuck

Oddometer: 973
I did not read all 100+ posts in this thread, I did however read the following from Yamaha's website...

WARNING
Accessory Side Cases and Top Case not recommended to be used together on Super Ténéré due to increased risk of overloading the motorcycle.

I'm sure just like any other manufacturer the lawyers have more say in that statement than the engineers, but I did find it interesting.

1992 BMW R100GS
2005 BMW R1200GS
kadesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #146
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,260
Quote:
And the ABS is a generation newer than what BMW runs. We were recently 2-up coming down a steep washed out gravel road that on a GS would have required turning off the ABS. On the Tenere the ABS just worked and did better than I could have done with none.

And prices can be found now under $12,500 US if you look.
Just came back from a great ride Colorado.. Swapped GS and SuperTen back and forth. The ABS on the SuperTen was flawless on dirt roads, no scary free wheeling and no need to disable it... I actually preferred the SuperTen regardless of price. I felt the Yamaha had more low end torque, smoother engine, much smoother transmission, excellent suspension, and I preferred the "character" of the SuperTenere's engine to that of the boxer engine. It's not your run of the mill parallel twin, the 270 degree crank pin gives it a very punchy output.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #147
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesean View Post
I did not read all 100+ posts in this thread, I did however read the following from Yamaha's website...

WARNING
Accessory Side Cases and Top Case not recommended to be used together on Super Ténéré due to increased risk of overloading the motorcycle.

I'm sure just like any other manufacturer the lawyers have more say in that statement than the engineers, but I did find it interesting.
Shhhhh - Don't tell them nuthin!

Seriously, there is more to it. The very early 2010 "First Edition" bikes delivered in Australia and South Africa had a couple develop sub-frame cracks beneath the top box. Where else would you send early bikes to find the weaknesses? :) Yamaha beefed up the rear sub-frame before the next build, including any that have come to North America.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #148
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Seriously, there is more to it. The very early 2010 "First Edition" bikes delivered in Australia and South Africa had a couple develop sub-frame cracks beneath the top box. Where else would you send early bikes to find the weaknesses? :) Yamaha beefed up the rear sub-frame before the next build, including any that have come to North America.
Yamaha also later beefed up the luggage rack on the Aussie and South African models via service bulletin. Apparently law suits from the outback and savannah can hurt Yamaha financially too.

fwiw, I rode around Australia post service bulletin with top box and side cases and the kitchen sink and encountered zero issues with the sub frame.

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #149
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,771
Quote:
Shhhhh - Don't tell them nuthin!

I have the 1st edition and my bike pretty much looks like yours when I travel, or even heavier

Never had a problem.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #150
razcob
Dromedary

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesean View Post

WARNING

BMW side case load is 22 pounds and the top case is 11 pounds. The top case isn't half the size of the side case, so they are cautioning you. Who in the real world weighs their loaded bike?
razcob is offline   Reply With Quote