Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #106
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Thanks that gives me some hope!
I'll fight the good fight in about another year or so ..............
Yeppers.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #107
stacyhughes
n00b

Oddometer: 7
F650GS Fuel tank appears to be cracking

Has anyone had this experience? I bought this bike new, have had it for 9 months and 6000 miles and I noticed the fuel tank appears to be cracking along the top edge. The bike has never been down or ran into. The tank doesn't have a scratch on it. It is just cracking. Thx Stacy

stacyhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #108
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,276
I saw this in this forum before and it appears indeed that your tank is cracking. I'd go back to your dealer and let it repear under warrenty.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #109
BudMor
Can't have just one.

Oddometer: 65
Its pretty common just search any forum with f800s or f650s on it and you'll find threads about it.

I keep inspecting mine for cracking (2011 f650gs) but so far so good (knock on wood)
BudMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #110
stacyhughes
n00b

F650gs

I must be the worse forum searcher ever. I tried before asking, but found nothing. I will try again. Thx Stacy
Old 08-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #111
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
Look in stickies. First 6 or so post in the big thread.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #112
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Here you go:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=cracked+tank

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #113
Zeke Markham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
It happens, I'm on my 3rd on my 2010. The first 2 cracked within 3 months, this 3rd one is a different part and seems to be holding up well at 6 months. All were replaced under warranty.
Zeke Markham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:23 AM   #114
stacyhughes
n00b

Fual Tank

Thanks to all, I went by the dealer and they acted like it should have happened months ago. New tank on order under warranty. They did mention that the newest version seems to work better than the old. Once again thanks Stacy
Old 08-29-2012, 03:55 AM   #115
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyhughes View Post
Thanks to all, I went by the dealer and they acted like it should have happened months ago. New tank on order under warranty. They did mention that the newest version seems to work better than the old. Once again thanks Stacy
Stacy:
If you wouldn't mind posting the part number of the tank (should be on the work order) when they replace yours?
I've heard rumor of a revised-revised-tank P/N

I've got a poll running over on F800Riders about this subject here "voting booths are open"
http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...s-tank-cracked

I'm on my second tank and it has a small crack in it, which I'll get replaced before the two-year parts warranty expires.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #116
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 608
I was doing a quick inspection last night and noticed my 2009 is starting to crack a bit on the gas cap side. I'm now most likely out of warranty, so my question is: should I bother getting it fixed? I thought this was merely the outer shell of the tank, not the "bladder" which keeps the fuel from leaking out.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #117
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
I would hit up the BMW dealer to see if they have any good will left. I am not convinced that these tanks are double walled or there is a bladder. Looking at it I think it may just be a coating that is impervious to gas. Love to get a definitive answer.

When this started I looked at solutions and found some glues that had promise. Got the tank replaced and went on to worry about something else.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #118
akmnstr
Mckenzie River Huskies

Oddometer: 235
Damn, add me to the list of those with a cracked tank. My bike is a 2010 F 800gs with just over 2000 mi. It was this thread that got me to inspect my bike. I have an appointment with a dealer this Friday. I hope the replacement an upgrade and the end of this issue. Has the issue of ethanol in the gas been discussed. I also own a Ducati and hang out on the monster forum. Many folks there have newer Ducs with plastic tanks that have swelled. The consensus is that they are swelling due to a the alcohol in the gas. It appears that Ducati hasn't come up with a fix.
akmnstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #119
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by akmnstr View Post
Damn, add me to the list of those with a cracked tank. My bike is a 2010 F 800gs with just over 2000 mi. It was this thread that got me to inspect my bike. I have an appointment with a dealer this Friday. I hope the replacement an upgrade and the end of this issue. Has the issue of ethanol in the gas been discussed. I also own a Ducati and hang out on the monster forum. Many folks there have newer Ducs with plastic tanks that have swelled. The consensus is that they are swelling due to a the alcohol in the gas. It appears that Ducati hasn't come up with a fix.
Supposedly Ducati fixed it. Well, sort off. My 2012 Streetfighter supposedly has a smaller tank so it can expand before it deforms the outer shell (the outer plastic shell is what we see on the newer Ducatis).

I thought about it in the context of the BMW F series tanks. It could be the reason for cracking. If that is the case, ethanol being the reason, it can only happen in the bikes sold in the US (and other countries that add ethanol to gas). Both for the BMWs and the Ducatis.

Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #120
TFB43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Pissed and me too!

2012 f800gs with 8600+. noticed crack on gas cap side starting after Alaska trip... One guy said it was a recall at the dealership, the other said it wasn't but it happens. Things like this make me second guess my choice...does the 1200 have these problems?
TFB43 is offline   Reply With Quote