Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #46
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowphil View Post
Did any of you guys go to the wharf rat rally?

I went down through town on Thursday to see a friend from Halifax. It was HOPPING even before the Rally had officially started. From what I understand, there were over 30000 bikes and untold hordes of people.

The rest of the weekend?

I went and rode in New Brunswick at the Rally they had planned up there. Came home with some nice video footage of me falling into ANOTHER puddle..and spraining my ankle.

Good to see you're having fun. I was wondering about you yesterday as I rode home. Stay safe.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:15 AM   #47
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowphil View Post
actually quite a few of them are in Sjoerd Bakker's Mexican and central america's hotel hand books, he's a advrider as well. I,ve used it in quite a few towns

Cheers
Yes, I have SB's books. However it would be useful to know which hotels you picked and what kind of experience you had. Afterall , there are many choices in Guadelahara.
I'm really interested in your ride, not SB,s.

acejones screwed with this post 09-04-2012 at 08:18 AM
acejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #48
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post

...untold hordes of people.
Wouldn't that be a cadre?

Hey Phil, really envious of your trip. looks awesome.

I didn't go up to the rally, but on Friday I did 580km on the Sherpa, went from home all the way up the french shore, smugglers cove, up to weymouth, and back down to shelburne through the 340, and 204 highways. good ride, and TONS of bikes on the road, presumably taking the scenic route to the rally.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #49
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,516
When I left Guadalajara I headed for Toluca, I was supposed to meet Garry Dymond the next day so he could lead me into his place in Mexico City where I was going to stay for a couple of days. Well what was supposed to be an 8 hour ride turned into 12 and dark fell before I could find a hotel room, I fell back on an old favourite and hired a taxi to lead me to a hotel to get off the street

stopped for a coffee on the way to Toluca, nice little restaurant

with a small lake out back

thats it for Toluca, I didn't stay leaving early the next morning. I packed and left the hotel early to meet Garry at the BMW dealer part way between Toluca and Mexico City. Since I had to travel halfway through the city in rush hour I wanted an early start so 0830 hrs it was. Left the hotel turned right twice in 2 blocks and all of a sudden there I was doing 100kph through the heart of Toluca on the circular road. Got there a little early would be an under statement, had to wait an hour for Gerry to arrive

arriving safely at Garry and Yvonnes and immediately doing maintainance

Here's Garry doing repairs to his vstrom 1000 seat, I offered to give him a hand but was immediately rebuffed maybe he noticed me working on my own bike

next day while Gerry was at slave labour Yvonne and I went downtown, this city is overwhelming

this is the Angel Of Independence

every 16th of Sept the people gather at the statue to celebrate, apparently it's an extremely emotional thing

I'll put this picture here, these are the steps at the base of the angel, you'll notice the bottom layer looks whiter that's because Mexico City is slowly sinking, the lower steps are newer so people could get up to the statue

the buildings around the Zocolo decorated for September, the month of Independence

looking around the city there's thousands of statues and art gardens

This is one of 12 all different, along a boulavard about 3 blocks long

Slowphil screwed with this post 09-07-2012 at 01:13 PM
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #50
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

one thing Yvonne insisted I see was the downtown post office, I thought oh yeah I really want to buy a stamp but I'll let you decide for yourself whether it was worthwhile

and the grand staircase, this building was built by the emporer Maxamillian when he was trying to build Paris in the New World

heres a scene youll see all over Mexico

theres hundreds of these human propelled taxis all over downtown Mexico City

outside the museum of anthropology these "Los Valadores" perform a centuries old ceremony
first songs and prayer

then preparing

and then flying upside down from a rope at their waist going round and round as they slowly descend

Old 09-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #51
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

While I was downtown I heard drumming so followed my ears, this group of guys were excellent and the great thing was it looked like they were having a whale of a time doing it

I went downtown the next day because I wanted to ride the touribus around the historical section, instead t5his is what I saw

El Presidente was in town in town for his goodbye speech and all the roads leading away from the Zocolo were closed for 5 blocks

there were more Federales and military than people in town

if you want to get around Mexico City, 3 pesos and this system will do it quickly and efficiantly

went back down the next day and got my tour, a couple more pictures I don't want to bore you

a couple of the Mexica rulers

One more picture to add, in the Catedral they've suspended a huge pendulum from the center of the cupulo to show the constant movement of the earth there, because of the settlement taking place the catedral, which was built in 1690, had to be raised 21 ft to bring it back level with the street

Mexico City is a fabulous place but like all cities it has its warts, here are some illegal barrios, neighborhoods where people moved in without permission and no planning so the whole area just grows haphazardly, the reason the top of the hill isn't covered is the fact that it ran smack dab up against a national park

saying goodbye to Yvonne, a fabulous, kind hearted person same as Garry. They're more than glad to have people stop so look for Garry on Horizons Unlimited, you'll always be welcomed

Next Up: a tour of the pyramids

Slowphil screwed with this post 09-08-2012 at 03:28 PM
Old 09-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #52
garrydymond
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Glad you enjoyed the stay. The (Canadian) seat cover is one the bike. It looks really good as I had the local upholsterer do the stapling. Time will tell if it is waterproof.
Safe travels. Keep the posts coming.
I've said elsewhere that I'll post pics of my brother and my trip around Mexico when and if he comes.
Garry
Old 09-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #53
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

before we get to the pyramids here's a quick rundown on the hotels I've inhabited in Mexico taken from S Bakkers book as requested

Monclova - Nuevo Hotel Viena - old, rundown, easy to find with secure parking - actually not bad for the price, was glad to find it to get out of the rain

Parras - Posado Bravo - clean, well maintained, average hotel but pretty, I really liked it,everybody was really nice and helpful and I found some one there spoke english for the first time in Mexico.

Durango - not in Bakkers book but Hotel Catedral Plaza - right down town, little run down and room was stuffy with no window, clean and secure parking for moto. I'd stay again just for location

Magdelena - Hotel El Opalo - right downtown, old fashioned but clean, secure parking, ask for second floor, beautiful balcony to sit, post and drink beer

Tequila - Hotel Tequila - easy to find, secure parking, clean and neat, renovated, handy to zocolo, was comfortable there

Guadalajara - Hotel Estacion - easy to get to, newly renovated, clean, secure parking. Far from downtown but 6 pesos and 8 min on bus take care of that

Toluca - Hotel San Diego - closed

Mexico City - I'm throwing this in for free - Garry and Yvonne Dymonds house - great people, friendly and really helpful. Garry will come out and lead you in. They really like having people stay and take care of you. Garry has droll sense of humour. get in touch on Horizons Unlimited

Puebla - Hotel Catedral - let me be polite - how anybody can have a filthy hovel as a hotel for 30 years and still be in business I'll never know. I found the place disgusting, the mattress was so beaten you were laying on the slats underneath. Gets 1/8 of a star for not having bedbugs and cockroaches, oh yeah keeps the rain off your head but thats just my opinion

So far thats the only hotel I don't agree with Bakker on

Generally - in 2012 you'll find prices have added a hundred in pesos in 2 years also if you want to use GPS to guide you you'll have to google the addresses beforehand to get them exactly, Bakkers are not intended for GPS directions which he'll freely admit

good luck with these
Old 09-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #54
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrydymond View Post
Glad you enjoyed the stay. The (Canadian) seat cover is one the bike. It looks really good as I had the local upholsterer do the stapling. Time will tell if it is waterproof.
Safe travels. Keep the posts coming.
I've said elsewhere that I'll post pics of my brother and my trip around Mexico when and if he comes.
Garry
GARRY: since the seat cover is Canadian it will outlast the rest of the bike, glad it looks good. Once again thanks for your and Yvonne's kindness, when you get to Nova Scotia your welcome to stay as long as you want. Hope to see you on the way back. Drop me a line when you post because I know how much you like doing ride reports

Take care Philip
Old 09-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #55
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

okay, does everybody have their popcorn we're on our way to the pyramids of Teotihuacan, just outside Mexico city

The site is impressive, the pyramids themselves are massive. The people started this city 2000 years ago and lived here for over 600 years. Every 56 years was the start of a new era for them, what you might consider a new start. If you extrapolate their calender forward you'll find the date 12/12/2012 when it stops and according to some people is the end of the world, others say they just didn't have a chance to continue their calculations, I'll leave it up to you to decide which theory you really like They used to rebuild the buildings every 56 years this consisted of placing another layer on the pyramids on top of the structure that was there, that's how they became so big. Anyway enough palaver on with the picts

Pyramid of the sun

climbed to the top and got a picture of the pyramid of the moon, which itself is massive but not like the sun

here we are climbing down, there were huge lineups of people waiting to climb up even in the real heat of the day and it was hot

shot of the Sun pyramid from atop the Moon

this is the avenue of the dead where the people being sacrificed walked, it's approx 2 km long so they had lots of time to gather their thoughts

at the other end of the Avenue was a smaller pyramid, apparently it was for the mercantile area so it turned out it was fancier with more carvings than the religous end

in the interior of the palace there are still remnents of the original paintings

jaguar

the carvings were actually pretty good

carvings on the columns

they played a ball game where the ball had to go through a stone hoop, at the end of the game one of the players was sacrificed to the gods, I hope it was from the losing team otherwise there's no incentive to win is there

stone counter from the game

no tocar means no flash

It was a very entertaining day all told

Hydee hoe its off to Puebla
Old 09-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #56
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Phillip,
Thanks for adding the info and comments on the hotels. That is insightful and good info. Enjoying the pics as well. It seems the stone carving at the ruins is in better shape than the carving in the Yucatan.

By the way, "no tocar" means no touch.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #57
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Phillip,
Thanks for adding the info and comments on the hotels. That is insightful and good info. Enjoying the pics as well. It seems the stone carving at the ruins is in better shape than the carving in the Yucatan.

By the way, "no tocar" means no touch.
ok thanks, a guard at one of the museums indicated it meant no flash but he didn't speak english and I don't speak spanish so obviously something got lost in there
Old 09-09-2012, 03:49 AM   #58
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,242
Looks like you're having a great start to your journey
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:21 AM   #59
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,674
Great RR!! I love seeing pics of Mexico!

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:13 AM   #60
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Did you have much problem with the traffic in Mexico City ?