User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
MADRAFi OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
History of my new F800GS

On August 27, 2012 I have pickup my new bike BMW F 800 G, with which I did not arrived at home.
As a result of incorrect zero service the fixing bolts in the front wheel brakes got loose making damage on front suspension and wheel itself.
The situation could lead to my death or serious body injury. I did not felt down and I was able to stop despite the lack of front brake.

That day I did not slept the whole night. This whole situation deprived me of the pleasure of buying a new motorcycle.
Inchcape company offered me a motorcycle repair and free 1st service and accessories (trunk + handbars) which I previously ordered and was promised discount anyway.
I wonder if I died that day, they also would offer my wife free 1st service.

Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures but it was not priority in this situation.

Brake's clamp tighten to windshield to allow motorcycle transport

missing 1 bolt, the other one could be unscrew with bare hand

visible bolt clearance

MADRAFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
petzi-baer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADRAFi View Post
On August 27, 2012 I have pickup my new bike BMW F 800 G, with which I did not arrived at home.
As a result of incorrect zero service the fixing bolts in the front wheel brakes got loose making damage on front suspension and wheel itself.
The situation could lead to my death or serious body injury. I did not felt down and I was able to stop despite the lack of front brake.

That day I did not slept the whole night. This whole situation deprived me of the pleasure of buying a new motorcycle.
Inchcape company offered me a motorcycle repair and free 1st service and accessories (trunk + handbars) which I previously ordered and was promised discount anyway.
I wonder if I died that day, they also would offer my wife free 1st service.

Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures but it was not priority in this situation.

Brake's clamp tighten to windshield to allow motorcycle transport

missing 1 bolt, the other one could be unscrew with bare hand

visible bolt clearance

Sorry to hear about your problems. I hope your bad luck will stop here and you can enjoy many hours on your wonderful bike. If you don't trust this dealership anymore, I hope another one is close enough. I would ask around and try to find out if there are other riders who had problems with this particular dealership and decide my next steps

take care

petzi-baer
petzi-baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:52 AM   #3
squawk77
Dreamer

Oddometer: 481
I don't know how it works in Poland, but I'd give them one chance to pay up before going to a lawyer.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 1,586
Holy Crap! At least you are here complaining and not in the hospital!

The bikes are shipped with the front wheel off so it'll fit in the box. The Dealer has to install it, then put the brake calipers on etc. Obviously, someone hand tightened the bolts or otherwise neglected them.

I can't speak for any other Dealers but the one I worked at had a checklist that I had to initial when completing each step in the PDI. Then I signed off the page and the new owner got a copy along with his other records. "Front wheel installed and torqued" CHECK , "Brake calipers installed and torqued" CHECK.

There's no good excuse for this happening and now the Dealer is in Damage Control. If it were me, I'd count my blessings, get the bike fixed or replaced, take all the free extras they're offering and ask for a Repair Manual on CD. With the CD and this forum, you can take care of the bike yourself. When you do have to take it to the Dealer, make sure you get the royal treatment.

I know it's tough but you have to get back in the saddle. Isn't near death experiences on a bike a regular occurrence these days? I don't count anymore. Yes it sucks but you're alive and well to ride another day.

Hope things work out for you.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:04 AM   #5
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 2,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by squawk77 View Post
I don't know how it works in Poland, but I'd give them one chance to pay up before going to a lawyer.
That's what I'd do too.
I'm very sorry to hear about your experience. Something like that should happen to no-one! The 1st maintenance is for free anyway... you only pay for the oil like 40 bucks. I think you could get much more out of them. What they offer you is crap. I'd ask for my money back, give them the bike back and go to another dealer. This isn't acceptable from a company like BMW. Write the headquoters a letter and complain about your dealer. I know in France they call you every year to know what you think about your dealer.

I hope you're going to enjoy the F800GS anyway. It's a fantastic bike.

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:34 AM   #6
MADRAFi OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Just to inform you, BMW Poland was involved. I have made a deal with the dealer. They will give me a new bike with some free extras.
MADRAFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
petzi-baer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADRAFi View Post
Just to inform you, BMW Poland was involved. I have made a deal with the dealer. They will give me a new bike with some free extras.
that worked out nicely then, apart from them the big scare at the beginning. Good for you!!

patzi-baer
petzi-baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 2,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by petzi-baer View Post
that worked out nicely then, apart from them the big scare at the beginning. Good for you!!

patzi-baer
that resumes it pretty well! I'm very happy for you. This bike is great I hope that was it for you and the problems!

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #9
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Maybe it is that I have flown and worked on airplanes for over 20 years, but I never get on my bike without checking the "Jesus" bolts,screws or nuts..I find that hardware has a nasty tendency to loosen up!!
Good luck and enjoy the new bike..

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote