Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #46
johmarq
RottenMongrelBastard

Oddometer: 140
I had a RD250 back in 1975 and loved it then.
Now I have another, not quite as nice but it will be again.
Got It in a package deal of 6 bikes for $1500
The 1973 RD250,1975 Honda CB750F0,1973 Honda CB350-4, 1973 Suzuki TS400,1965 Suzuki A95, 1978 Honda CB250
I have years of work ahead, I hope I live long enough.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #47
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by johmarq View Post
I had a RD250 back in 1975 and loved it then.
Now I have another, not quite as nice but it will be again.
Got It in a package deal of 6 bikes for $1500
The 1973 RD250,1975 Honda CB750F0,1973 Honda CB350-4, 1973 Suzuki TS400,1965 Suzuki A95, 1978 Honda CB250
I have years of work ahead, I hope I live long enough.

Just so you don't destroy a rare bike, I suggest your's is from the first shipment into Australia. That was in 1972. It is still a 1973 model though.

The RD250 & 350 were a 73 model - I suspect USA & Oceania only.
The RD250A was also a 73 model - world wide. It came with the disc front brake. Not sure if it scored the 13 litre tank too.

You've got the 9 litre tank, it appears. Restore it. Or at least clean the inside and do whatever is needed that it doesn't rust away. I have my original 9 litre tank. It is severely bent. One day I will restore it.

The drum front brake is not off a DS7 or R5. As it is in the photo, that is oem. Probably stand a bit of a clean and polish.

I have had a few 'discussions' with people whom tell me my RD isn't an RD 'cause it's got the drum front.
I've also caused a bloke annoyance when he raised the same issue. His annoyance came from the fact that he'd relied on information and had altered an RD to a disc front brake.

You can't get front brake cables any longer. I've just had replicas made from blank kits I bought from Overlander in Melbourne.

Have fun with it.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:27 AM   #48
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripodtiger View Post
Both look good, understatement.

The miles on the RZ does make me ask the question, why do US bikes seem to do so few km?
I'm not sure of the early history of the bike. I think the original owner just lost interest and stored it and the next fellow preferred my mint RD350LC to this bike so we just traded. I couldn't be happier. I've made my mind up to use it as I would any other bike but honestly it sort of pains me to ride it. Every extra mile is like a dollar coming off the value of the bike. But considering there are $40,000 dollar Harleys out there I guess riding a low mileage (optimistically valued) $6000 RZ original isn't the end of the world.

One thing that has been happening here, greatly increasing in the last couple of years, is that second hand US bikes are being packed up and brought here by the container.
I know of a few fellows making a living traveling the US and filling shipping containers with H2's and KZ etc etc to ship back to Europe. I've heard that Japan is grabbing their fair share as well. I would think the exchange rates on the currency has a bit to do with this too.

The speculation here is that bikes are a summer toy over there. And, after a couple of summers they often get stuck in the back of the garage, basement, shed for some new summer toys. 10, 20, 30 years later, some enterprising person puts adverts in local papers, looking to buy bikes outright. And they buy up a heap of unrestored bikes that they can sell over here.
That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Especially up int the Great lake states like Michigan and Wisconcin. some amazing bikes come out of basements up there

At the local end, because we ride all year round, our bikes tend to wear out and then end up as fair dinkum trash, suitable for parts basically.
Man I wish. We had a decent little vintage Monday night get together for quite a few years but it's essentially withered and died.

Nostalgia is huge, and growing, these days. I'm happy that I can claim that I'm not being nostalgic, I'm just using bikes I've had for 30+ years.
Now days all I seem to be seeing is folks sticking clubmans on anything and everything and calling it a "Cafe Racer". It's the next new thing among the sheep who don't know any better.

Anyway, the 400 looks pretty wicked. Did they come out in a grey paint scheme? or only the white? If asked, I'd be saying there were a few grey ones.
That bike had so many iterations from the day I bought it. It was like a test bed for every whim that hit me. That paint was a borrowed idea. I saw it on a west coast bike and did it a shade lighter. All the originals were white. She really looked and rode tits. It's in the hands of a trusted friend though so I know it's being well cared for and ridden regularly.

Here's my LC that I forgot to post. This is what I traded the RZ for. He managed to get it tagged in the US and we were both pretty happy. I like when trades work out.

FloridaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #49
johmarq
RottenMongrelBastard

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripodtiger View Post
Just so you don't destroy a rare bike, I suggest your's is from the first shipment into Australia. That was in 1972. It is still a 1973 model though.

You've got the 9 litre tank, it appears. Restore it. Or at least clean the inside and do whatever is needed that it doesn't rust away. I have my original 9 litre tank. It is severely bent. One day I will restore it.
Hi Tripodtiger,

Thanks for the Info.

Yes I thought it must be an early RD, the serial number is 352 102194,
Looks like that would make it number 2093 off the production line in 1972.

I guess it should be blue like your beautiful RD,
there is blue under all that lovely hand brushed black paint.

Thanks for the news about the 9 litre tank, I thought they were all the same.
The tank is in good shape, no corrosion inside.

Apart from the tank and drum front are there any other things different on the early bikes?

Cheers, John
Old 06-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #50
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by johmarq View Post
Hi Tripodtiger,

Thanks for the Info.

Yes I thought it must be an early RD, the serial number is 352 102194,
Looks like that would make it number 2093 off the production line in 1972.

I guess it should be blue like your beautiful RD,
there is blue under all that lovely hand brushed black paint.

Thanks for the news about the 9 litre tank, I thought they were all the same.
The tank is in good shape, no corrosion inside.

Apart from the tank and drum front are there any other things different on the early bikes?

Cheers, John
Not that I'm aware of.
The different front brake may mean that the triple clamps are narrower or wider?
The fork outer tubes / sliders / boots (whatever you choose to call them - I can't make up my mind) are different and that difference may only be the left one.

That tank would be bloody rare! Maybe not quite 'hen's teeth'

My hope is that you get, and stay, inspired to do something with it. Whatever that is, that you take the time, effort and (this is the hard part) money to do it properly. Of course, it may be your only bike and that tends to change priorities.

And mine is 3737. Your's is older.

edit:

SHIT, BUGGER, BUM, PISS, COCK, FART!!!
I just looked at your bike photos again.

You've got a bloody High/Low switch!!!

Every now and then I do a little search trying to find the internal plastic bit, the bit that the thumb tab screws onto. Never been able to find one that fits. The switch still works as the broekn end of the plastic is poking up, but....

tripodtiger screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 09:38 PM
Old 06-30-2012, 09:42 PM   #51
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSteve View Post
Here's my LC that I forgot to post. This is what I traded the RZ for. He managed to get it tagged in the US and we were both pretty happy. I like when trades work out.

Noice bike, moit! (maybe you need to be an Australian to understand?)(I'm not having a go at you)

Bit better nick than the one I bought. I was out on the 250 this morning and the fellow that gave me the 400 told me about a frame straightener man only 30km from home. I'll be on the dog & bone in the morning.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #52
Happy Seal
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 2,536
Ok guys, got a few questions. Getting ready to pick up an RD400. It is in rough shape. Will need engine rebuilt and a total restore! It appears to be blck now with a dented up tank. The chrome is all rusted, the seat is ripped up and foam is molded.

Is there a way to find the original paint scheme?
Are engine parts available? I think she's seized up.
Is there a way to fix up a dented tank?
Anything else I should know?

Thanks guys, might be my first restore.
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #53
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,114
I've owned a lot of RZ's including one with under 500 miles I sold a few years back for a mint. Now I have enough parts to build three of them. I moved garages and plan on starting on them this year. I want to builone trick one, just not sure what I want to do. Maybe a cafe, roadracer, dirt tracker, or a dualsport.
Moving some parts today
Old 03-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #54
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Seal View Post
Ok guys, got a few questions. Getting ready to pick up an RD400. It is in rough shape. Will need engine rebuilt and a total restore! It appears to be blck now with a dented up tank. The chrome is all rusted, the seat is ripped up and foam is molded.

Is there a way to find the original paint scheme?
Are engine parts available? I think she's seized up.
Is there a way to fix up a dented tank?
Anything else I should know?

Thanks guys, might be my first restore.

Well let's start with the year and then we can give it a go Economy cycle is u=your friend

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:06 AM   #55
PJay
Any bike, anywhere

Oddometer: 567
NZ$350 including new tires, in 2003.

Then we went racing (light relief from the TZs).

I don't have a pic of my standard road RD400.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #56
johnalex
Rider of rides.

Oddometer: 55
Wicked 1985 rz350

Been working on and riding this one for the past 12 years.
Motor is stock except for K&N's.
All boingers were built by RaceTech.
Trick R1 stoppers were built and adapted by yours truly.

One of the best set-up RZ-350's ever. IMHO

The good...

Full RaceTech suspension front and rear.
Extremely rare Metmachex aluminum swingarm.
Micron black pipes.
Full body work with very rare factory front stay. Canadian RZ-350 clock set running MPH (not kilometers).
Unique bar end mirrors.
R1 brake set - both calipers and fully floating rotors - trick.
Motor is fully stock and starts right up.
K&N filters.
Always runs Motul. Stock oil pump set up retained. Power valve.
Custom rear sets.
Fully adjustable clipons. Also quite rare.
All street legal.
Registered in California.

The bad...I have not started it up in one year due to remodeling project.
98 VFR - 133,000 miles
89 BMW R100GS - in Mexico
johnalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #57
Valvesarefortoilets
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
The duo!

Both of these are my dads (As I am only 16) but we work on them together and thought it appropriate to post! Its a 1985 Yamaha rz350nc and a 1976 rd400c
[IMG][/IMG]
Valvesarefortoilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #58
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
I allways liked these bikes. In 1975 I road a buddies purple RD 350 on a dirt road and was super impressed with the power it had. At that time I had a 1974 100cc Yamaha MX bike. I was flying along about 60 mph on a dirt road went wide on a corner and went across a farmers front yard on my back with the bike sliding next to me. Came to a stop in the freshly plowed field with the wind knocked out of me and the bike a mess. He was really pissed but I purchased all of the replacement parts and put it back and cleaned up all of the damage. We still make a few road trip on our bikes each year so he forgave me.
That was the last time I road this type of bike and thinking I would like to find a clean 350 or 400 water cooled bike with pipes, brakes improved ect. What years should I look for? What web sites are good for information?
I usually attend vintage days @ Mid Ohio so I do see some bikes.
I currently have a Yamaha Tenere for my every day bike so this would be a play bike. Might do a few tracks days at Mid Ohio for fun.
How to get started?
Old 03-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #59
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,679
I'm slowly rebuilding my late brother's Daytona Special racer. I think it was last run in the late 80's, and has been in smaller and smaller boxes ever since. Yes the color is awful, but it will at least be a runner- I hope to have it at the track this summer.

It has a lot of nice parts- Cal-Fab swingarm, Fox shocks, Lockheed brake, Toomey pipes, and there was even a new PVL ignition system in a box waiting to be installed. I don't expect it to be really fast, but I think it'll be a lot of fun.

Tim McKittrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #60
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,589
Barn Find:

Always liked the '75s so after a little tinkering....

RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote