Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 03:01 AM   #841
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Autodesk Fusion is another one which I think it is better than sketch up, you can see what it can do in youtube. Fusion is free until April 2o13. Every year they release a free version so the next one will be until April 2o14 and so on ... You can find it in Autodesk Labs site ...

Good point from beaney...
I downloaded this for my mac, finally a cad program that works for a mac!!!

I found it really good. Quite simple to learn with all the youtube vids and such.

Only issue I ran into was the options that didn't exist for the free version were things I think are quite useful. The ability to unfold a 3d object makes creating a part really helpful for cutting shop. There some other things that existed on the help vids but the free version lacked. If someone has a way around this please post here as I'd love to have another go at it.

I mention this as if someone was to try and design parts that they would like to manufacture ask around or even have a look at what the programs will let you do, as once you have used 1 program it can be difficult to change to another. It took me a while to learn soildworks after using autocad.

tileman screwed with this post 09-08-2012 at 04:52 AM
tileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:41 AM   #842
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,813
Fusion itself does not have the sheet metal capabilities that Inventor has. (note that Autodesk Inventor and Autodesk Inventor Fusion are two different programs) . The only way to unfold a sheet metal part would be to design it as a sheet metal part in Autodesk Inventor. It is more complicated to use as it is a feature based software (where Fusion is not that is why it is so easy to learn). The only way to do sheet metal would be either to find a free dedicated program (I have no idea if it exists ) or download the Inventor trial and do everything in 30 days . I have all the tools at work so if there is anything I can do to help I would be happy to be of service

As jesusgatos pointed out, there are cases that you want free form designs. And this design (for the switch I mean) may be easier to deal with if you use such a program. There are dedicated programs that one can use to make Free Form Designs, I think the best one at the moment is T-splines. The fusion that you downloaded should have an Edit Form button, which comes from Alias (another software package) but T-splines will be in the next version of fusion... (preview here ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vjs1zIeDc4 ) .I have used it to design handles (in its original form when T-splines was not part of Autodesk) of anything you can imagine and it gets the job done quite easily ...

Sorry for the out of topic post but I think it would be helpfull for anybody here that wants to contribute in the designs ...
640 Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:33 AM   #843
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
IMF effector there in mulgrave and there orange
I have a couple at my parents place I gotta go steal the TIG back I'll see if I can find them for you I'll be going there next week
If I give them a call will they know what I'm talking about if I ask for a cable for an ico or do I need to no what the plug type is.

If you do have a spare your willing to sell that would great but I do need it by the end of next week.
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:53 AM   #844
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
If I give them a call will they know what I'm talking about if I ask for a cable for an ico or do I need to no what the plug type is.

If you do have a spare your willing to sell that would great but I do need it by the end of next week.
They would not have a clue but there is nothing special about the cable it's just a three wire hall effect sensor you fine you can buy cable and M8 sensor if you want

M8 / L = 40 60 — 10...30 DC housing: stainless steel (316L) / active face: PBT orange end cap: PA (polyamide) / lock nuts: brass / 5000 -25...75 200 10 2.5
ME5015

Mudguts screwed with this post 09-08-2012 at 05:09 AM
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:00 AM   #845
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
Quote:
As jesusgatos pointed out, there are cases that you want free form designs. And this design (for the switch I mean) may be easier to deal with if you use such a program. There are dedicated programs that one can use to make Free Form Designs, I think the best one at the moment is T-splines. The fusion that you downloaded should have an Edit Form button, which comes from Alias (another software package) but T-splines will be in the next version of fusion... (preview here ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vjs1zIeDc4 ) .I have used it to design handles (in its original form when T-splines was not part of Autodesk) of anything you can imagine and it gets the job done quite easily ...
I agree. The little i worked with it before the trail ran out was an eye opener. The designs that can be created with Fusion (based on the helpful vids) are quite amazing in such a short space of time. I'll have to download the new version soon!!!
Old 09-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #846
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,515
Quote:
Autodesk Fusion is another one which I think it is better than sketch up, you can see what it can do in youtube. Fusion is free until April 2o13. Every year they release a free version so the next one will be until April 2o14 and so on ... You can find it in Autodesk Labs site ...

Good point from beaney...
wow, may have to check it out. I can't find a compare to the full version. Got the skinny on that?? I've been using solidworks for a while, but it's a seat I didn't pay for. I'd like to phase out my cracks.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #847
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
wow, may have to check it out. I can't find a compare to the full version. Got the skinny on that?? I've been using solidworks for a while, but it's a seat I didn't pay for. I'd like to phase out my cracks.
You can find the trial version of Autodesk Inventor here : http://usa.autodesk.com/autodesk-inventor/trial/ . It is different from fusion but still you can use YouTube to get help... T-splines has already an add on for Solidworks so if you already know how to use it may be better to go that way?

-0o-
Old 09-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #848
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,515
Quote:
You can find the trial version of Autodesk Inventor here : http://usa.autodesk.com/autodesk-inventor/trial/ . It is different from fusion but still you can use YouTube to get help... T-splines has already an add on for Solidworks so if you already know how to use it may be better to go that way?

-0o-
but I want to get rid of my SW 'seat' that I didn't pay for. trying to go legit.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #849
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,334
If you want to learn how to use a more powerful program, you can buy a 24-month student licence copy of SolidWorks for less than $150 (available online). It's for personal/educational use only, but it has all the features and functionality of their $10,000 premium suite that we use. If you want to get into any kind of serious 3D CAD work, I would highly recommend the SW platform.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #850
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by tileman View Post
...once you have used 1 program it can be difficult to change to another. It took me a while to learn soildworks after using autocad.
Not to be argumentative, but I would have to disagree. Most of the feature-based CAD platforms are similar enough that if you understand the concepts, it's a lot easier to move from one to another. So if you have access to anything, don't hesitate to jump in there. The skills you'll pick up will translate.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #851
640 Armageddon
-oo-

I am with jesusgatos in this one ... For serious CAD, SW is the way to go ... I have worked since 2oo2 with Autodesk's Inventor (those were the days my friend ) , and I wish I had gone the SW way... I find it difficult to switch after all these years but I still use SW for some personal designs and CFD work ...
In this case I would go with the 24 month student license. To go legit I think this is the only way
Old 09-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #852
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
So if you have access to anything, don't hesitate to jump in there. The skills you'll pick up will translate.
That is indeed true, but when you are using four or five packages it can get complicated... There where times that I used Rhino, Inventor, Autocad, Solidworks and another two which I try to forget (spaceclaim and keycreator ) ... I got so confused at one point were I was orbiting most of the time without particular reason ... I think if you master a couple of the above (mainly Rhino for surfacing and either SW or Inventor as an engineering tool) you will be fine ... Now if you are gonna go mad there is CATIA out there , but good luck with that

Switching from Inventor to SW should not be difficult. But you have to switch and not going back and fourth !
Old 09-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #853
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Great thread. Really good info. and ideas. I have not used a RB yet so the learning curve is steep. How are you guy's routing the front brake line? Is a low mount fender needed to keep the line out of the tire if you route it under the dash/bracket? Sorry if this isn't the right forum to post Q's about brake line routing with RB/lighting towers.
Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #854
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,221
its in here.. you have to go back quite a few pages...but here is a photo to give you the idea

You use rubber cushoned metal clamps found at Napa or other autoparts store .. take the hard sheath off of the brake line and let it dangle out in the wind and no you dont need a low fender...they look good but can be a hindrance in mud and other terrain.
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #855
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
its in here.. you have to go back quite a few pages...but here is a photo to give you the idea

You use rubber cushoned metal clamps found at Napa or other autoparts store .. take the hard sheath off of the brake line and let it dangle out in the wind and no you dont need a low fender...they look good but can be a hindrance in mud and other terrain.

Sweet. That's just what I was looking for.
Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote