Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #76
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,584
So I picked up a WR250R myself this week and I'm enjoying it. For reference I'm coming off an 09 Husky TE610 so its quite the change for me. (For history, my DS bikes are in order were (KLX650R, DRZ400E, KLX650R, KTM 520EXC, Husky TE610, DR650, WR250R). I actually also have a pretty stock '98 DR650 (w/2800 orig miles) in the garage I picked up a couple weeks back just for the interim as I thought it was going to take me longer to find a WRR, but it turned out I found it rather quickly. I'm actually kind of liking the DR too even though its a pretty simple bike, especially in stock form. Haven't decided if I'm just going to hang onto it or what, but I think I am for awhile.

I actually am friends with Rsteiger and he rode with us our TAT trip this past May where we covered 2k miles. I rode the Husky on that trip and absolutely loved the TE610 and I had lusted after one for a long time, but I felt I was putting a lot of miles on it very quickly. I hated to sell it, but part of me was also wanting to try a WRR after reading so much great stuff about them. My wife also rides a Yamaha XT225, so when it was just her and I, the Husky was pretty much overkill and usually left me way up in the front leaving her behind. Her and I did some riding tonight on the WRR & the XT and it works out perfect. I'm much happier taking it easier in the dirt and on the street it works great. I'm actually thinking Rob will enjoy the WRR too since his gf rides the Sherpa and it seems to fit in well when we ride like that.

I've had my wife jump on the WRR a couple times already, but its way tall too for her as its setup. She's 5'4"/115lbs so she's basically doing the Captain Morgan stance on it. Its kind of disappointing to me, but she says she still prefers her XT and the WRR just feels too big. I have to wonder though how much of that she's interpreting just as the height which can be fixed. So I'm actually watching this thread as I think the Honda might be a better step up for her since it sits lower stock and something she might like better than the WRR. At the moment, she seems pretty happy with the XT and she can ride the legs off that thing.

Anyway, big thanks to the OP for starting this thread and doing the comparison.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 08-27-2012 at 09:30 PM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #77
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
This is a great comparison thread that was linked from the CRF250L thread . I look forward to reading more between the two bikes in question . My criteria was a DS bike with FI , these two fit the bill , but the Honda with its price seems to win out .

FWIW , I currently own a KTM 250 EXC and am getting tired of spending money on it . Every time I need the simplest part , its a nose bleed leaving the dealer . I am not spending $8500 on a ''dirtbike'' that can win races , I dont race , dont care .
Good thread for discussing the OP topic. Thanks.
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #78
foxbrook
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I will say as a new DS rider, a 5'3 woman, I am getting very comfortable on my CRF250L. I've had it a few days and have 150kms on it. I can barely touch the ground but I am so happy with my purchase. The suspension is amazing compared to the only other DS bike I've ridden (XL200r). I barely feel the bumps in the road, loose gravel is a bit scary on the original tires.
I enjoyed your review

foxbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:09 AM   #79
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbrook View Post
I will say as a new DS rider, a 5'3 woman, I am getting very comfortable on my CRF250L. I've had it a few days and have 150kms on it. I can barely touch the ground but I am so happy with my purchase. The suspension is amazing compared to the only other DS bike I've ridden (XL200r). I barely feel the bumps in the road, loose gravel is a bit scary on the original tires.
I enjoyed your review
Hi - If necessary you can try reducing tire pressure a little - should help. Works for me me both in both sand and gravel.

2103 KTM 250 XCW
2103 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #80
foxbrook
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarDust View Post
Hi - If necessary you can try reducing tire pressure a little - should help. Works for me me both in both sand and gravel.
thanks for the tip!

Old 09-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #81
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,345
I just rode my son's WR250x fitted with knobbies 8 hours of twisties, dirt roads, etc, was firmly convinced that I was going to sell my heavily modded DR650 to get one myself... Until I hit I40; after two hours of slab at 70, I was appreciating a larger displacement engine. That being said, the WR is an absolute hoot. Also rode the Honda, a very nice bike as well, but the WR has more guts, I would consider I a privilege to ride either of them.

Concerning the KTM; I would love to ride one, but due to the height, it's not an option, which proves to me that there is no perfect bike, what works for me might bite the wax tadpole for you.

CB500X, DR650 semi motard
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #82
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsteiger View Post
So.. all the bickering aside.. I have a question. First a little background.

Right now I own a DL650, DR650, and a KTM 450 EXC.

I take the DL on long rides and use it like a pickup truck around town. Most of the time it sees street duty but I do get some of the occasional forest service and dirt road miles on it.

I take my DR on long DS rides. It is nicely setup for me. I took it this year on a 1900 mile trip on the TaT from TN to Mississippi Hill Country and back. Enjoy riding the bike - loaded and unloaded.

Picked up my KTM 450 EXC on a trade for a VFR750 that was going to land me in jail some day.... just could not keep that thing under the speed limit. Had to do a little work on the KTM and it was a bit frustrating at first, mainly because I have not owned one before, but I really like how they build the bike and how you can pretty much use one wrench to take it apart. Right now I would take my KTM out on DS rides where we are usually camping in one spot and exploring the area. I would trailer it to the spot since the maintenance intervals are short and I don't want to waste the hours on the highway getting to where we are riding. That and I don't think I can use it like a pack mule in the same manner that I use the DR on the long DS rides. Been thinking about doing an easy enduro on it but the last time I did one of those was over 30 years ago so I am still thinking about it.

Now to the question...

I have found that with three bikes I just do not get around to riding them all enough and usually one sits for long periods of time which usually means I end up performing some additional work on one or another at times. So I have been thinking about picking up the WRR and selling the DR and KTM. I do not consider myself a hard core aggressive rider but I have been known to roost a few people. I am 6' tall and weigh 250.

Do you think that the WRR will be enough bike to haul my big but down the highway like my DR650 does when I am riding to a weekend DS ride?

Personally I struggle with the whole trailer the bike thing.. I mean I bought them to ride right. Thoughts?
Sorry for not posting for a while I was out of the country forgetting everything I know about motorcycles. Now to your question. As the other poster said. The WRR will do just fine. You will find it under power of the DR but it will go above the posted speed limit in all my surrounding states. I hope that helps.
ggamster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #83
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbrook View Post
I enjoyed your review

I think this will help you. I did this for my wife and she fits fairly well now.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=819032
Grant
Old 09-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #84
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Some time has passed and been riding both bikes. I am loving the WRR. I took it out in the down pour this weekend and did a very fast washed out gravel road ride. For the first few miles it was a little sketchy trying to find my comfort level as the "road" had foot deep washout tracks right on the blind side of the curve. Once I did I was having a blast two wheel drifting the bike. I am having a hard time getting the rear end of the bike to feel the way I want it to. I am still working on it and it is getting better. As far as the Honda there isn't a ton to report. It is a super easy bike to ride and I had my first crash on it this weekend. Let me just say it has the weakest bars of any bike I have ever ridden. I dropped the bike doing a very muddy down hill section. It was no big deal. However, the bars bent badly from a very mild fall. I will reiterate the Honda is best for milder riding. I would like to note that the engine in the Honda is breaking in nicely. It seams to be developing a bit more power now. The bike does have a feeling of cheaper, kind of like a made in Taiwan essence. In fact it is so I guess it stands to reason that it indeed should feel like it is.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #85
foxbrook
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggamster View Post
I think this will help you. I did this for my wife and she fits fairly well now.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=819032
Grant
Thanks, I actually did see this thread and my husband looked it over closely. If a lowering link doesn't come out soon this will be a consideration. I dropped it on it's side yesterday, I was practically stopped, went to put my foot down and forgot how short I was.....Too used to the street bike. Anyways not much damage but could certainly use knock off some height. Does this void the warranty do you know?

Old 09-07-2012, 05:11 AM   #86
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have been doing a lot of off road with the WR this week. this bike does great I have been noticing the biggest problem is the tires not so much the suspension. now that I can take the bike into the upper RPM range I'm finding it a blast to ride. I will try to get some pictures this weekend.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #87
PhoenixGirl63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Looking forward to more of your test rides on both bikes, ggamster. As a shortypants rider (27" inseam, like your wife), I think the WRR would be way too tall for me. After reading through your thread on lowering the CRF250L, I have my eye on the Honda, now, because I want a light weight street legal bike with FI that fits my current riding abilities and, maybe, grow with me for a few years. (Am I asking too much?)

I'm a fairly new rider (learned last summer), and I have almost 6,000 miles on my first bike (Suzuki TU250X). I've been taking the TU on gravel and dirt roads in the last few months, and she's actually doing fairly well. No trail riding yet, my bike isn't set up for that (and I really want to take a couple of dirt riding classes before I tackling anything more than the country back roads).

PhoenixGirl63 screwed with this post 09-08-2012 at 07:13 PM
PhoenixGirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #88
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixGirl63 View Post
Looking forward to more of your test rides on both bikes, ggamster. As a shortypants rider (27" inseam, like your wife), I think the WRR would be way too tall for me. After reading through your thread on lowering the CRF250L, I have my eye on the Honda, now, because I want a light weight street legal bike with FI that fits my current riding abilities and, maybe, grow with me for a few years. (Am I asking too much?)

I'm a fairly new rider (learned last summer), and I have almost 6,000 miles on my first bike (Suzuki TU250X). I've been taking the TU on gravel and dirt roads in the last few months, and she's actually doing fairly well. No trail riding yet, my bike isn't set up for that (and I really want to take a couple of dirt riding classes before I tackling anything more than the country back roads).
Welcome PG63, it's always good to see a lady rider interested enough to be on a forum. 6,000 miles in a year, kickin' butt. I'm retired and not a new rider, here are my thoughts. I have a 30" inseam and always have to let that into my buying decisions. I ride solo off-road and not getting any stronger, so weight is a big deal to me.

Looking at Kawasaki, Yamaha and Honda. (Suzuki needs to upgrade their DR200).

Kawi: Long travel, race bike look; 297 pounds, 35" seat height (there are lowering options). 2.0 gal fuel tank (too small for my perceived needs). Lime green or Red. I love red bikes. My truck is red.
http://kawasaki.com/Products/product...ns.aspx?id=550

Yamaha: Although a newer generation arrived in 2008, it's still the old school engineering; which just happens to be ok with me. 291 pounds and a 31.9 seat height (no lowering necessary for me). The 2013 model has FI, which has been available for 2 or 3 years overseas, so they know it works. 2.6 gallon tank. This will be my next bike, before the seasons change.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...4/0/specs.aspx

Honda: Another long travel race bike look with lowering options. 2.0 gallon tank (again, too small). Although it has a low price, the big mistake Honda made is the weight: 320 pounds. 23 pounds heavier than the Kawi and 29 pounds heavier than the Yami: What were they thinking??? This is a deal breaker for me, ain't gonna happen; thumbs down.
http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cr...fications.aspx

Heck, my DR650 is only 366 pounds (36,285 miles and I can hardly pick it up). What the heck does that mean?? Dirt bikes tip over, it's a law of physics; don't let it bother you. Wear good gear; full coverage helmet, gloves, boots, jacket with elbow, shoulder and spine padding, padded pants with knee and hip protection.

There are, or will be, larger aftermarket fuel tanks available for any of these bikes. As a newer rider, mileage over 140 per tank may not matter to you. I ride the Utah backcountry and that just isn't far enough for my needs.
There ya go, buy a bike and ride.

These weights are mfr adv weights.

Aux fuel needs, sorry for the hijack:

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 09-08-2012 at 10:04 PM
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #89
GlennR
Bikini Waxer

Oddometer: 1,683
ER70 seems to be the first one to mention the "weight" of these bikes. IMO they are all too heavy. 300 lbs is too heavy for a 250 cc dual sport.

There is no reason for them to weigh over 270 lbs.

Why did Yamaha bother with the pretty aluminum frame, if not to save weight?

And the Honda is 320 lbs? How many 450s can you think of that weigh that much?

I hear folks talking about how well the WR250 handles the slab, going 65 mph for hours & hours.... I love riding small dual sports, but not for miles of interstate riding. Then again, I live in the middle of the mountains, surrounded by the Pisgah & Cherokee NF's, so I guess I have a different perspective.

free/online Motorcycle Repair Course-
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #90
Gryphon12
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 953
Older vs. Newer

Older 250cc dual sports weigh in the 268 to 275 lbs. range and were air & oil cooled. There are some differences between then and now.

On newer bikes, add a radiator, water jacket and water. The alternators are putting out more power, the subframes are stronger, and FI has been added, which requires a stronger battery, a computer, and ancillary bits.

The frames are actually a bit stronger, but they are not ultralight like the enduro racing bikes which cost between $9k and $10k. Ditto with the wheels. And over time, EPA has required higher environmental standards, which translates into a heavier (at this price point) exhaust.

It all adds up to an additional 25 lbs. or so.

The newer bikes also are a little taller, with better suspensions and they handle better than the older models. So, it is a trade off. Weight for performance, in the $4.5-$6k range.

If Americans were willing to spend the same amount of money on a Dual Sport as they do on a top-shelf enduro racer, and tolerate the increased maintenance that the higher performance/weight ratio requires, we could trim that 25 lbs. back out with higher quality and higher strength/weight components. That is not the reality, however.

The flip side of the coin: Take a top-shelf enduro racer at about 255 lbs. wet, and add a real subframe, a 350 watt alternator, bigger battery, rack mounting points and a more comfortable saddle. You'll end up adding 15-25 lbs. to that bike.

All of these threads wrestle with the compromises made in motorcycle design. The more I learn about the engineering, the associated trade-offs, and the economics, the more I comprehend the compromises. Work with it a while. Then you'll also understand more about the thriving aftermarket for DS and Enduro components.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Gryphon12 screwed with this post 09-08-2012 at 11:09 PM
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote