User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #16
Beet
adventurer

Oddometer: 559
I recon there great

Bought Mine for the DRZ400, now done 25,000 ks and is great. I do use a Lambs wool cover but thats just Me. My last trip was 13,000 ks over 2 Months in the saddle most days, no complaints. Well done CONCEPT SEATS.
Beet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #17
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
They built a really slick Suede/leather seat for my 2011 530,very sleek and sexy looking,comfortable to boot!
Got a pic of this? I had a suede Renazco on a 640, and I loved it so much I thought I'd never own another seat that wasn't suede.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #18
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
I gotta say it too. Have had mine for about a year and a half and have no reservations about recommending them to anyone. I wanted the firmest foam but he suggested trying the middle foam first. I did but I decided I wanted the firm, he sent it right out. The workmanship is stellar and anyone worried about installing yourself, don't. It's easy.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #19
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
Got a pic of this? I had a suede Renazco on a 640, and I loved it so much I thought I'd never own another seat that wasn't suede.
I dont have a smugmug account,I can send you pics,you could post em or just check it out.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #20
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,491
I replaced my XR650L's seat with one -

It's comfortable and easy to install if you've got access to an air stapler. The slight creasing at the seat nose has since worked its way out with time, exposure to the sun and my weight. While I was initially skeptical of the "gripper" seat panel I now favor it. I don't slide around while seated, but the "carbon look" sides allow me to stand on the pegs without the seat dragging on the inside of my thighs.

LexLeroy screwed with this post 09-15-2012 at 09:14 AM
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #21
RyanR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
you'll notice in each of the pix above that there is a wrinkle in the fabric in the narrow flat near the tip. the one in mine was way bigger... a really poor fit. it works ok, but not that great. just sayin'
My photos are from the first day I had the seat and I only had a little Stanley hand stapler to work with. I could only get about 1 in 20 staples to bite into the seat pan so it's barely tacked on in that photo. I've since pulled it back off and re-installed with a proper air stapler. I stapled the front in place and then had my buddy hold the rear tight while I stapled it down. After that I slowly worked my way down towards the center alternating sides with each staple. It took about 20 minutes to get everything just so but it did get rid of the wrinkles. It requires quite a bit of tension though so make sure you have the front positioned how you want it and staple it in place so you can really yank on the rear of it without ripping anything. As I worked my way towards the center I tried to tug the seat material away from the curve of the seat since it seems to be a little "baggy" in that area. I agree the fit isn't perfect but with a little work I was able to make mine fit properly. I also used some 3M spray adhesive when I did the final install.

RyanR screwed with this post 09-10-2012 at 08:45 AM
RyanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #22
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,532
Quote:
you'll notice in each of the pix above that there is a wrinkle in the fabric in the narrow flat near the tip. the one in mine was way bigger... a really poor fit. it works ok, but not that great. just sayin'
That is an installation problem, not a fitment problem. You could, and many do, find that same problem installing the stock cover. I bet you could get rid of the wrinkles without removing the seat cover. Or a decent upholstry shop could take care of it in minutes for a couple bucks.

I love mine and plan on getting another for the bike I am racing the B1K on. I think my butt will appreciate it!
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #23
wowsers
F8 & b there

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
I had mine installed by a professional installer and the fit is absolutely great. He charged me $10. Well worth it.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #24
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowsers View Post
I had mine installed by a professional installer and the fit is absolutely great. He charged me $10. Well worth it.
Ive put about 4 of them on now,the trick is to leave the cover in the sun,get it nice and stretchy/hot. Then follow the directions,staple it front and back making it snug,and pull it and staple it,keep pulling and stapling front/side/rear till the wrinkles are gone. If it aint right do it over till it is,they can be re-stapled no problem.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #25
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
I put one on my 610 and am happy with it.... Good product
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #26
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,372
sorry... but the reality is that mine was a piece of crap when push comes to shove. there was simply no way to pull on the fabric and make it stretch enough.... NOT possible without tearing the seams. I finally let the front seam wander down across the nose of the seat in order to get it to lay down. I later re-shaped the foam & made it better. I am no stranger to this kind of work either, I have built seats from scratch for my project bikes. This one was for an 1150 gs

P,S, I took it to a pro for at least some advise & he refused to touch it unless he could cut it and re-sew the seams.

edit: BTW, the GS cover has an additional panel that runs left to right across the dip in the seat in order to accommodate the huge compound curve in the foam. If those parts were cut with triangle shapes they would fit, but as built it was simply an additional 2 seams across the critical area. I could pull the wrinkles out, but the fabric was hovering at least an inch away from the foam in the crotch of the saddle. I even rode it around a couple days like that hoping it would take shape but not to be. You can only pull so hard... I was seeing the threads of the seams pop out, and the holes from the stitches were elongated about 2x.... thats too far... especially since it still wasn't on all the way. everyone makes a lemon.

as for the foam.... it's good, but the shape only offers one seating position. it's a bucket seat, so if you like that you'll be happy

Beezer screwed with this post 09-11-2012 at 11:02 AM
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:29 AM   #27
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
material choice

Sorry for the cross post; this question is also in the WR250R/X thread.

From the Seat Concepts FAQ:

Q: What is the difference in cover materials?

A: Gripper: Great for aggressive riding or being held in place. If you like to slide around do not order this cover. Carbon: A black vinyl that has a carbon fiber pattern made into the surface for a good look. There is a texture that acts like a very light gripper. Embossed: A smooth black vinyl with square dimples embossed into the material but not all the way through keeping it water resistant. This cover will scuff if dragging sharp edged items across surface. Plain: A nice leather grain vinyl similar to some stock seats. ALL covers are marine grade vinyls and water resistant.

I don't want Gripper, as I like to move around.

Carbon sounds good.

Don't like that Embossed scuffs easily.

Plain sounds.....OK

Based on this FAQ, I would order carbon top, plain sides. For those of you who have a Seat Concepts already, what cover material(s) do you have, and why would you buy (or not) it again?
Old 09-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #28
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,750
Have one on a 1998 DR 350 that they dished out for my short assed legs. 1500 miles later it is the best seat I have ever had . The only problem is now my Super Sherpa And my Dl 1000 wants one also.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #29
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinfuzz View Post
And my DL 1000 wants one also.
I put a Sargent on my DL1000 two years ago - wish I'd waited for the Seat Concepts product 'cause I'd have saved about $200.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #30
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Oddometer: 1,860
Just installed mine today on my KLX. Great product, easy install, excellent service. Shakedown ride tomorrow.