User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #451
natalya raven
n00b

Oddometer: 1
my favorit pic

very beautiful picture , just by lookin at it you can imagine all the life this building once have and now is just a quiet broken and empty one

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
So I took some pictures.

And drove around and took some more pictures. The decay that I thought was limited to just a few blocks here or there was everywhere.

natalya raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #452
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Thanks for the encouraging comments everyone. I've been struggling with a small 'essay' on the connection between man and machine....it's taking longer than I anticipated, so in the meantime I've been trying to keep the R/R interesting with pictures. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
So instead of steak tartar you had Mr. Ed tartar? I've had that when unscrupulous restaurateurs served Ed over beef in Bordeaux. Prefer the cow variety myself. Pork belly thoYUMM
Someone's never been to The Black Hoof!

As for Montreal--I'm here! This morning I passed from Ontario into Quebec (details / pics to come). When all the signs changed from English to French, I realized just how far I've come. On the road now for more than two months and am nearing the 13,000 kilometer mark (sorry, have to practice my US Standard to Metric conversions). I've seen landscapes change from city to desert to farmland to zombieville and back to metro city and only now does it begin to sink in--this isn't an adventure: it's my life.

Up until recently I would often wake up not knowing where I was and I'd have to perform a semi-sleep-panic survey of a dimly lit room to uncover a detail that might give me a clue to where I was (especially if I had to pee). Now I just go back to sleep and figure it'll sort itself out when the alarm goes off.

On the road I often have a similar experience--today it was, 'how come I'm on 40 when I should be on 20?' So I keep going, figuring that it'll sort itself out. And if it doesn't, something else usually happens that makes the 'getting lost' part more than worthwhile--hell, getting lost is 4x the fun! (Whoever said it was half the fun must have really had to take really big shit.)

AntiHero screwed with this post 09-09-2012 at 08:32 PM
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #453
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalya raven View Post
very beautiful picture , just by lookin at it you can imagine all the life this building once have and now is just a quiet broken and empty one
More cool shit of the day: met up with a local Montreal inmate ('Sup Eric!) in Petite Italy. Had a great time talking about life and bikes and other shit at a cafe when his friend Natalya shows up on her Raven R6. She'd never heard of ADV or this R/R before tonight, but after hearing about Detroit responds with an enthusiastic, "I GOTTA GO!" Not quite the typical reaction, so I highly recommend pre-subscribing to whatever future ride report she has up her leather sleeve, because it's going to be good.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #454
xmonger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Anti, this is shaping up to be a masterpiece of a ride report. You've managed to hit it out of the park from multiple angles.

I can relate to the medical situation and will offer this advice. The emotional/mental scars from significant medical hurdles are much tougher to heal. Do your best to never let them take root. In other words, keep doing what you are doing; living not merely existing.

Thanks for sharing and stay safe!
xmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #455
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalya raven View Post
I have always been totally transfixed by urban exploring although I have never done it illegally (going inside). An abandon building can stop me in my tracks and leave me transfix just like a beautiful woman.

never fully understood why it affects me personally more than others,
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #456
jcbertin
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Right when I thought the thread couldn't get more crazy, you went and ate "Hi Ho Silver." Must have been a white lipizzaner.
jcbertin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #457
musicman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
In the land where the Panigale was born, donkey ravioli and horse ragu are considered special treats.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:41 AM   #458
Platinumgrit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Thanks for the encouraging comments everyone. I've been struggling with a small 'essay' on the connection between man and machine....it's taking longer than I anticipated, so in the meantime I've been trying to keep the R/R interesting with pictures. :P
Mate, can't wait. I am really looking forward to this essay, to say the least...
Old 09-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #459
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
AH, awaiting your piece on man/machine. The quote to come isn't related to the man/machine connection, except implicitly, but may connect to your earlier musings on the trip....

"The quality of a journey depends not just upon where you go, but upon how you go and why."

McAdow, Ron. the Concord Sudbury and Assabet Rivers
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #460
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,259
The last time we had a report like this it was Rogue1's "took a little ride"
and it ended with a picture of a very attractive woman and was never completed.

Ya, I know he went to work for Baldy but geez.

Hope this doesn't turn into another incomplete cliffhanger.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #461
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Great RR Antihero!

I guess you like Montreal. Lots of beautiful women in our little city.
Have a great r&r here and hope you get back on the road soon.
By the way, love your writing style. You make me wanna read.

Cheers,
Dave
mint julep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #462
badcherrys
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Thumb Wow!

AntiHero sir, I am really enjoying your rr. I can't wait for the next installment.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #463
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640 View Post
The last time we had a report like this it was Rogue1's "took a little ride"
and it ended with a picture of a very attractive woman and was never completed.

Ya, I know he went to work for Baldy but geez.

Hope this doesn't turn into another incomplete cliffhanger.

Hilarious. That's a ride report I'll have to read.

I'm still here, in the thick of it. Have three pages of condensed ideas flattened out on single spaced pages, plus another three pages of miscellaneous supporting thoughts. I'd love to condense it all into 3 paragraphs (or just cut/paste installments), but it can't be broken up without ruining it all. It's not an intentional cliffhanger--I'm really struggling with it. Will be worth the wait.

In the meantime I should fucking upload some pictures or something to prove I'm here!

AntiHero screwed with this post 09-12-2012 at 07:21 PM
Old 09-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #464
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Ok, so left Toronto and headed North East to Montreal. I checked my oil after GP Bikes had done the 12k Service and the level was ridiculously high. Ended up siphoning out 600ml of oil! (On its side stand the oil level read halfway between the two marks). Lacking the tools I'd need to drain the oil, I just scored some 1/4" tubing at the local hardware store and sucked it out.

It rained a lot inbetween Toronto and Montreal, which ruined my desire to venture too much off the interstate, but I did....but there still wasn't a whole lot to see.

Hear the angels:
Old 09-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #465
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

In between me and Montreal (thousand islands, yada yada):