ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 07:22 AM   #1291
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,698
Thanks for posting those up - good stuff!

I didn't get many pics of the wet stuff, even though there was plenty of it. Nice job on the vids . . . and feel free to post as much as you like in the RR thread. Looking forward to another ride when I get back out there again.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #1292
RockemRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Moving On

Hi guys, if someone local is looking for a new ride, mine is for sale. I'm willing to deal for a local.

Look Here

Update: The bike sold to a somewhat local inmate.

RockemRdr screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 10:08 AM
RockemRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #1293
advswede1981
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Thoughts on the Tenere

Got a question for you all...

As much as I like my KLR it's lacking the "umph" I want in a serious adv touring bike. I initially got my KLR so I could ride 50/50, but learned over time that I'm more a 80/20 road rider. As much as I like hitting the trails on my KLR, I'm much more into driving 300 miles on a highway comfortably to find a decent dirt road that takes me to a secluded camping spot. I'm hooked on ADV but I want something bigger and more adv touring oriented (gear and/or 2-up kinda stuff), like the BMW 800, 1200 GS/GSA etc. I almost bought a 1200GSA last month but decided to hold off to do some more research. Well, I'm kinda glad I did because it seems to me that all roads lead to the new Super Tenere. I know a lot of you got tons of experience in this field and ride bigger bikes as well.

What's your thoughts on the Tenere? The good.. the bad... the ugly... I'd like to hear it .

And yes... if I decide to make the switch my pampered KLR will be out for grabs

'13 Super Tenere
'10 KLR650 (sold)
advswede1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #1294
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by advswede1981 View Post

As much as I like my KLR it's lacking the "umph" I want in a serious adv touring bike. I initially got my KLR so I could ride 50/50, but learned over time that I'm more a 80/20 road rider. As much as I like hitting the trails on my KLR, I'm much more into driving 300 miles on a highway comfortably to find a decent dirt road that takes me to a secluded camping spot. I'm hooked on ADV but I want something bigger and more adv touring oriented (gear and/or 2-up kinda stuff), like the BMW 800, 1200 GS/GSA etc. I almost bought a 1200GSA last month but decided to hold off to do some more research. Well, I'm kinda glad I did because it seems to me that all roads lead to the new Super Tenere. I know a lot of you got tons of experience in this field and ride bigger bikes as well.

What's your thoughts on the Tenere? The good.. the bad... the ugly... I'd like to hear it .

He's not lying guys. One time...we were on a ride and I can almost swear I looked in my mirror to see Henrik with a rag wiping his bike down as we rode down the trail.

Have you checked into the VStrom and Tiger as well? The Tenere looks nice but what were they thinking for oil filter placement? I'm sure someone will be along shortly (if they aren't already) to make a guard for it.
cms81586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #1295
mergatroyd
Loser

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by advswede1981 View Post

About the S-Ten? After my lovely BMW experience, I am right off shaft drive bikes. I can't have catastrophic failure hiding in a non-check-able place. At least with the S-Ten you should be able to change the clutch without dismantling the frame.

My wife says the Strom is the most comfortable bike she's ridden pillion on. The 1000 is a little big for me to take off-road due to leg length, but you should be fine. Plus MSRP on the ADV model is pretty low. It still needs heated grips, but other than that it is decently equipped. The bags are ridiculously wide!

It's no slouch on the highway, either.
mergatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #1296
kobukan
almost gnarly

Hope some of you guys are getting some riding in . . . must be perfect weather there now. I was hoping to be back out in September, but I got kind of busy - just booked a flight for October 16th though. I'll be there for a couple weeks and I'm thinking I might take a ride down to Copper Canyon while I'm there - could probably get down there and back in about five days. Hope to get a chance to ride with some of you guys while I'm in AZ.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
Old 09-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #1297
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 672
Was going to reach out to you this past weekend. I thought you said you were going to be back in September. Glad to hear you're coming back. Look me up when you get here and I'll ride with you again. Will have to be a Sunday morning because the kids have started football and Saturday mornings are shot.
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #1298
kobukan
almost gnarly

Well, if I do decide to head to Copper Canyon I'll probably be gone the first Sunday, and the second Sunday will be the day before I fly back to Maine and I usually spend that day cleaning and servicing the bike before I leave . . . so I'm not sure Sunday's going to work, but I haven't made any definite plans yet other than buying a plane ticket so we'll see. Would be nice to get together for a ride.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
Old 09-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #1299
Hucker
Lost

Keep me posted and I'll see what I can manage.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #1300
Hucker
Lost

Anyone else riding? Might do Montezuma Pass over to Patagonia this weekend...I hear they are having a festival or something over there.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #1301
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,223
Art festival is this weekend in Patagonia.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #1302
advswede1981
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Weekend Riding

Sounds like fun and I might be able to make that ride, depending on details.

'13 Super Tenere
'10 KLR650 (sold)
advswede1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #1303
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,223
Ok, I'll lead:

Saturday. 9am. Hereford post office, ready to ride.

Destination, Sunnyside via International Border road, lunch in Patagonia, quick way home. Big, fat, overweight bikes, no camping gear, tools optional. The border is in different trim pretty much every week. Could be like fresh pavement, could be moderately dicey, never "hard", but I'll be riding with due regard to the bottom of my BMW motor, and the fact that my son needs a living father anyway.

Skinny little dirt bikes can come if you don't have a big kid bike. The return leg will be a valve burner on anything with an 8 hour service interval.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #1304
Hucker
Lost

Saturday mornings don't work for me (right now) because my boys play football. 2 more weeks of games and they're done.

Have fun...I want in on that trip sometime, though.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:46 AM   #1305
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
Ok, I'll lead:

Saturday. 9am. Hereford post office, ready to ride.

Destination, Sunnyside via International Border road, lunch in Patagonia, quick way home. Big, fat, overweight bikes, no camping gear, tools optional. The border is in different trim pretty much every week. Could be like fresh pavement, could be moderately dicey, never "hard", but I'll be riding with due regard to the bottom of my BMW motor, and the fact that my son needs a living father anyway.

Skinny little dirt bikes can come if you don't have a big kid bike. The return leg will be a valve burner on anything with an 8 hour service interval.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I'll be volunteering at a MWR event on post with the wife on Saturday. I just ordered a bunch of parts for the XR and have it almost back together. Countershaft is on the way out and I pulled the bike apart to the point all I had to do is unbolt the motor mounts...and then decided that I don't want to get 1/2 way through a project with a move 3 weeks away (moving down to SV since the 30 min ride/drive from Benson is kicking my ass lately). Hopefully with the wider XR650R countershaft sprocket it will prolong what's left of the life of the countershaft (splines are worn pretty bad). It will give me a project to work on this winter or next year depending on how it wears. So with that said...I should be back up for a dirt ride any time after this weekend. If anyone wants to do a slab ride the Tard is ready to go...