Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Rest in peace...! Kemal Abimmm...

Old 09-09-2012, 04:23 AM   #107
nomadb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
A great loss, Kemal Merkit.

We have lost a great sporstman, a super atlhete, a father on 7th of September.

Kemal was a great inspiration for many of us. He shared his adventures with us all the time.

He was a honorary member of our club and speaker in many events. It is very hard to believe after all his adventures in many rallye raids this has happened in his own country.

I was at the funeral ceremony. So many people with so many different backgrounds.
I feel very sorry for his family and loved ones who are left behind.

We all expected him just to do another Dakar with limited resources while we watched him continue every day. He was a fighter with a smile, definetly not a quitter. Do you remember him going to a witch doctor or sort to get suctions cups on his back in Africa? Do you remember his horrendous crash recorded from the helicopter? But one way or another he still managed to continue his race.

He had a garage where he loved to work on all sort of bikes. I remember the picture of an old Jawa somewhere there.

After reading all the posts, I see he had touched to the lives of may riders from all over the world as well.
Thank you all for the memories.

Dear Kemal,
Sana tanrıdan rahmet, ailene ve yakınlarına metanet diliyorum.

Regards
Burak

www.emok.org
nomadb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:36 AM   #108
stevecollie
Desert Racer

Oddometer: 42
Farewell Kemal

İt has taken me a couple of days to thiınk of the words to wrıte to descrıbe the shock at losing Kemal and Wolter ın front of you but I don,t thınk words can descrıbe the feelıng of losıng fellow competıtors. I was a few places behınd these two on Day 3 of the rally and came upon the accıdent scene probably 3 to 4 mıns after ıt happened. At fırst glance it dıd not seem like realıty and you expected to see the guys movıng and gettıng up off the ground but unfortuantly as soon as I got to Kemal ıt was apparent thıs was a serıous crash.

I checked for a pulse on Kemal but there was nothıng there and from the look of hıs head ınjurıes ıt was apparent somethıng serıous had happened. Our attentıons were turned ınstead to consolıng Selcuk hıs long tıme adventure partner who was understandably very shocked wıth the events.

Wıth all the confusıon it was not obvıous at fırst that there was even a second fatalıty untıl perhaps 5 to 10 mıns later when I realısed there was ın fact another bıke on the other sıde of the road and there had ın fact been three bıkes ınvolved and not the normal case of one bıke crashıng ınto another. Agaın we check for a pulse on Wolter and we thought we could feel somethıng so attempted CPR on hım for quıte some tıme but unfortuantly to no avaıl.

So ıt has been a very traumatıc few days for everyone but İ now hold a sense of closure havıng attended Kemals funeral and burıal ın Istanbul yesterday. The KTM Spormoto team pulled out of the event and İ decıded to do the same and travel to Istanbul wıth my Turkısh frıends to bıd thıs legend farewell.

The racıng has resumed agaın today but my heart is just not ın ıt at present wıth the prıorıty ınstead beıng to see my famıly and put lıfe ın perspectıve. I thınk the hardest thıng to comprehend at the moment is how the accıdent could have occurred on a straıght pıece of road 200 m past the end of the asphalt and claım two fellow racers - one guy who has achıeved more than most people could ever hope to achıeve ın theır lıfes and another who was just at the begınıng of hıs.

I thınk my lastıng memory of Kemal wıll be two thıngs. Fırstly on Day 2 of the Transanatolıa we arrıved at the bıvowac early and were restıng ın the tent out of the sun. The way I knew Kemal had arrıved at the camp was by hearıng hıs loud and ınfectıous laughter resonatıng around the camp sıte. Also my other last memory of Kemal wıll be also from the Transanatolıa of seeıng Kemal donıng hıs runnıng gear to go and traın for another 45 mıns after we have just rıdden for 8 to 9 hours and are layıng collapsed and exhausted under the tent. He was truely an ınspıratıon to be around and hıs true grıt and enthusısm wrabbed off on you the more tıme you spent wıth hım.

He was a true legend and a great guy at that who encompassed the spırıt ın all of us who compete ın Adventure Rallıes but unfortuantly ıt ıs always the best who get taken too early ın theır lıfes.

Farewell Kemal and Wolter and please contınue to look down on us all ın the future.
stevecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:04 AM   #109
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Duck View Post

Godspeed my friend...

my smugmug: http://svizzerams.smugmug.com

Proud to be Riff Raff 07-08-09-10-11 !!!!
svizzerams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #110
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,412
A very tragic incident for all parties involved
Stephen, your post is very moving and touching...

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #111
kertem
The EnRider

Oddometer: 11
Güle güle usta...

http://www.kertem.smugmug.com

03 BMW 1150 GS Adv
99 BMW 1100 GS
97 Yamaha XTZ 750 SuperTenere
kertem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #112
tuareg-tr
Adventurer of Turkey

Oddometer: 9
Bye Mustafa Kemal Merkit. We will not forget you.

Istanbul / TURKEY
tuareg-tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #113
Brodovitch OP
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Video tribute with footage from the first days of the TransAnatolia

Watching it made it no easier to fathom the loss of a great rider & a great human

Old 09-10-2012, 05:34 AM   #114
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,729
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and details. As devastating as it is, it is important to understand the details and circumstances.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #115
LUDO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 974
Judith Tomaselli informed me today and I instantly found this thread. I didn't know Kemal that well, but we had exchanged some great time together at the Dakar 2010. Here we are together at the end of it. I couldn't believe at the time that he had done the Dakar on that 690 Enduro and if I remember correctly as a full on privateer with the ELF canteens and no mechanics.

He indeed represented the spirit of rally. And the spirit of ADV rider.

RIP Kemal,
RIP Wouter and best wishes of recovery to Mirco Miotto.

This only reinforces my decision to have stopped rally at 45 yrs of age.

- ENJOY PAIN WHILE LIVING, FOR DEATH WILL NOT PROVIDE SUCH PLEASURE -
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #116
ozzy
Cool Runnings!!!

Oddometer: 37
Kemal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Only today I read that Kemal seems to have graduated high school in Austria; I miss meeting him even more now. Here's a (bad) photo I took of him going by at the Central Europe Rally in '08.

According to the video, Tina Meier was at the scene of the accident as well.

Just a small correction....Kemal did not graduate high-school in Austria. I am proud to say that we studied together at the Austrian St. Georg High School in Istanbul (a school sponsored by the Austrian government to foster friendship between the Turkish and Austrian societies) . Later, he went on to study bussiness administration at the University of Vienna. Rest in peace my friend and Godspeed........

Orhan
Old 09-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #117
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,750
Apparantly a quad rider had a deadly incident today in the Balkan Rallye...
Old 09-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #118
Rixxy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
I'am gutted to find out about this today, I met him in turkey and he helped me find a new wheel for my KTM after we had an accident. A very very nice bloke - my thoughts are with his family and friends.

RIP

Rixxy
xxxxx
Rixxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #119
Brodovitch OP
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Apparantly a quad rider had a deadly incident today in the Balkan Rallye...
Unfortunately quad rider Chris Stamboltzis was injured fatally on 102km of the special today. A front axle broke and he lost control of the quad... I don't know much more, I just spoke with my friend in the race and she couldn't add anything to what I already know... so sad, 3 riders in 3 days

Christos was the importer of Can am quads in Greece, multi-champion in the GPS class and a permanent fixture in the rally and jet ski scene here ... always smiling, joking, and always with a helping hand to everyone

Condolences to his family

Old 09-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #120
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,750
RIP Christos...