ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #31
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 853
Seen a bunch of heavy bike guys

on Crab Flats road Saturday. The BMW's were turning back. (Smart)
Lots of xr650L's and klr650's hung up on the rocks and working down. We were on xr400's, a exc530 and a wr450/ That this group?

CB
Old 09-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #32
K0ncept
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave Mutt View Post
Don't worry, I know the "good way" to Big Bear from the desert side , you won't be disapointed. Any ride I take you guys on will be outstanding and fun. My goal is fun for all, regardless of skill level. I just like to share my many years of riding and exploring the high desert and local mountains with dudes that just want to enjoy a good ride experience with a professional level guide at no cost.

I am going to go ahead and THANK YOU ahead of time, :) The way I went I really cant remember as we had started the day off of Gold Mountain, then about 1/2 way through the day one of the riders suggested heading over to Pioneer Town for lunch, everyone agreed, and all I can say is . . . I had one of the best times ever riding my bike, and I have to also say, Pioneer Town has some kick butt grub and ice cold drinks, the ride back up into BB was even better then the ride down, it was a mix of mostly fire road's till the bottom, but even the roads were kick ASS, twisty turning, just TONS of fun and almost 0 people around... I had often thought how kick ass it would be to live in the High Desert and just blast up to BB at a moments notice, pretty much seems almost like heaven on earth doesnt it?

I also grew up here in So Cal, been riding since I was 5, explored all the desert has to offer all the way from Cajon Pass all the way past Barstow... I really had a soft spot for the Area off Johnson Rd straigh back from Bell Mountain, that used to be some of the BEST DIRT in So Cal, but now everything is off limits unless you have a PLATED Bike, and thats the reason I now own my KTM hehehe, I remember the first time riding it, I was stopped twice in one day, once by CHP and the other was a ranger, both were like I CANT believe that bike is street legal :)

Smiles all around, but now it seems CHP and the rangers know what KTM's are now, I have not been pulled over in some time, as long as I keep my sumo setup OFF the bike my chances of getting a ticket drop by 50%..

Oh I cant wait for a ride, FRESH AIR, the wind in my face, chasing the dust while standing on the pegs, freedom, my ultimate freedom......

Soooo looking forward to riding again....
K0ncept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #33
Dual-Sport-Noob OP
SoCal 650

Oddometer: 15
A Nice Ride

Thanks to everyone who rode!

We started with 9 riders on the 3N16 and ended up with two at the Screaming Chicken Saloon after coming off Cleghorn Road. I'll post pics and a more detailed recap in the next day or two.
Dual-Sport-Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #34
Dual-Sport-Noob OP
SoCal 650

3N16 Clear from BB to 18 with Just One Water Hazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbig View Post
on Crab Flats road Saturday. The BMW's were turning back. (Smart)
Lots of xr650L's and klr650's hung up on the rocks and working down. We were on xr400's, a exc530 and a wr450/ That this group?

CB
I don't think that was us. We had pretty smooth sailing the whole 23 mile length of the 3N16 with just one water hazard that killed a small compact car off the side of the trail. We had 5 of us at that point, a 250, a 400, my KLR 650 and two BMW 800s and we all made it through the water (about 18 inches deep and 10 feet wide) pretty quick and then ended up on the 18 shortly after that.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #35
Mojave Mutt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0ncept View Post
I am going to go ahead and THANK YOU ahead of time, :) The way I went I really cant remember as we had started the day off of Gold Mountain, then about 1/2 way through the day one of the riders suggested heading over to Pioneer Town for lunch, everyone agreed, and all I can say is . . . I had one of the best times ever riding my bike, and I have to also say, Pioneer Town has some kick butt grub and ice cold drinks, the ride back up into BB was even better then the ride down, it was a mix of mostly fire road's till the bottom, but even the roads were kick ASS, twisty turning, just TONS of fun and almost 0 people around... I had often thought how kick ass it would be to live in the High Desert and just blast up to BB at a moments notice, pretty much seems almost like heaven on earth doesnt it?

I also grew up here in So Cal, been riding since I was 5, explored all the desert has to offer all the way from Cajon Pass all the way past Barstow... I really had a soft spot for the Area off Johnson Rd straigh back from Bell Mountain, that used to be some of the BEST DIRT in So Cal, but now everything is off limits unless you have a PLATED Bike, and thats the reason I now own my KTM hehehe, I remember the first time riding it, I was stopped twice in one day, once by CHP and the other was a ranger, both were like I CANT believe that bike is street legal :)

Smiles all around, but now it seems CHP and the rangers know what KTM's are now, I have not been pulled over in some time, as long as I keep my sumo setup OFF the bike my chances of getting a ticket drop by 50%..

Oh I cant wait for a ride, FRESH AIR, the wind in my face, chasing the dust while standing on the pegs, freedom, my ultimate freedom......

There are some awesome routes to Pioneertown from the desert side. Some are really fun and challenging with good single track and washes out through Lucerne Valley and Landers and there are easier powerline and two track routes. Landers has lots of spectacular scenery similar to Joshua Tree.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #36
DirtRider....
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
dear Penthouse forum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by K0ncept View Post

DirtRider.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #37
K0ncept
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
lol bastage hehehe.
K0ncept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #38
outlaws
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
I would be so in. Please let me know when the next ride is. My skill level is still considered n00b rockin a drz400.
outlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #39
Dune Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Great time

Can't wait for the pics. Had a great time and met alot of good riders. Thanks Dan for getting everyone together.

Andy
Dune Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #40
Mojave Mutt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
I don't want to plan or do any ride invites on Dual Sport Noobs Thread, don't like steppin on toes.

If any one is interested in my ride offer PM me and I'll put a ride together.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #41
Dual-Sport-Noob OP
SoCal 650

Please Plan Away with Dune Riders and Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave Mutt View Post
I don't want to plan or do any ride invites on Dual Sport Noobs Thread, don't like steppin on toes.

If any one is interested in my ride offer PM me and I'll put a ride together.
Please use and or adopt this thread to plan "non-hardcore" rides together for the rest of the month and beyond as my bike is in the barn until October 13th.

You guys that are ready to ride now should hook up with Andy (Dune Rider). He actually led our ride and is looking for people to ride mountain and/or desert.

Except for posting the pics later this week I won't actually be able to monitor this thread for a couple weeks.

Andy, thanks for a great lead!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #42
dhillr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,549
I'm in for a ride this weekend. Planning to head out Friday afternoon and camp through Sunday. Don't know the area but I'm real good at reading maps and getting lost and stuff....

Anyone riding up there this weekend that already knows some good routes?? I'm on a V-Strom 650 and I'm fairly competent on it....as long as there is no mud. My bike must really love the taste of mud because it always tries to dive into it.

dhillr screwed with this post 09-10-2012 at 09:18 PM
dhillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #43
DirtRider....
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillr View Post
I'm in for a ride this weekend. Planning to head out Friday afternoon and camp through Sunday. Don't know the area but I'm real good at reading maps and getting lost and stuff....

Anyone riding up there this weekend that already knows some good routes?? I'm on a V-Strom 650 and I'm fairly competent on it....as long as there is no mud. My bike must really love the taste of mud because it always tries to dive into it.

nice Wee... i'll be up there sat on the fourfiddy...
DirtRider.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #44
Dune Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Death Valley Tour Mid October

I’m putting together an adventure ride in mid October to explore the southeastern side of Death Valley. One day will be a ride from Dumont Dunes west and north up to Dante’s View and back thru Tecopa to Dumont. If there is an interest, another day exploring ghost towns and mines closer to the dunes. I will start a new thread for more info with date, time, and local info for camping. This ride will be suitable for all size dual sport street legal bikes. First day is slow and easy; the next is a little more difficult due to sandy and washed out roads. Look for up coming info.

Andy
Dune Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #45
Dual-Sport-Noob OP
SoCal 650

9/8/12 Trip Summary

Click the following link to view my attempt to document the trip:

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/1916376

I'm hoping to start my own website to better document my trips. If I do I'll post the URL here.