Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #12
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaZ9 View Post
What year is your DR650 and how many miles are on it? I will be curious to see how well the Shinko 244 and the 520 chain set up holds up. Several RTW riders on DR650's had big problems with the 520 chain set-up as the front sprockets played havoc with the sprocket shaft splines.

I really like your travel light mentality. Too many riders tend to overload their bikes.

Best of luck and enjoy the ride!

Taz9
It is a 2007 and I have put the last 20,000 miles on it. After my final shakedown ride today, it has 25,942 to start the trip.

And I am not worried about the 520 or Shinko244. I have been running those for a long time without problems. Like I said, I just replaced those again and am even carrying another 16 CS to swap out to try and lenghten the life of the chain. I am using a 16 because I went up to 46 on the rear and that puts it close to stock gearing for the roads. When I am offroad, I use the 14.

I am definitely excited about my light packing. I already test packed it and it all fits. Unfortunately, my light modo means I am not taking any camping gear, but it is the right choice. I like to camp and have done it on my other Mexico trips, but this time LIGHT makes RIGHT.