Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #916
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
Well... that's interesting ...................

This is just my uneducated opinion, but I think you've got air in the system and since the bleeder on the master cylinder is inoperative ... I'm not sure how you'll get it out. More time with the zip-tie could not hurt ............

If you take it to the dealer I expect they will install a new master cylinder ... they are likely not equipped to repair one, and even if they were, the service manager might not want to do so on account of legal concerns....

How did it come to pass that the master cylinder bleeder became uncooperative?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:48 AM   #917
CaliKarl
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Well... that's interesting ...................

This is just my uneducated opinion, but I think you've got air in the system and since the bleeder on the master cylinder is inoperative ... I'm not sure how you'll get it out. More time with the zip-tie could not hurt ............

If you take it to the dealer I expect they will install a new master cylinder ... they are likely not equipped to repair one, and even if they were, the service manager might not want to do so on account of legal concerns....

How did it come to pass that the master cylinder bleeder became uncooperative?
The bleeder by the reservoir is stripped - that's all. Wrong size wrench, I suspect. The reservoir guard, by Wunderlich, was hit when the bike went up an embankment, nearly 11 ft., and tumbled back down to the road. But hey! Zip-tying the brake helped enormously. Thanks again for your advisement.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #918
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKarl View Post
The bleeder by the reservoir is stripped - that's all. Wrong size wrench, I suspect. The reservoir guard, by Wunderlich, was hit when the bike went up an embankment, nearly 11 ft., and tumbled back down to the road. But hey! Zip-tying the brake helped enormously. Thanks again for your advisement.
If the hex is just rounded off I'll bet you can buy a new bleeder screw,
put a pair of vice-grip pliers (or maybe a 6-point socket could be pounded on)
on the old bleeder and get it out of there.

Install the new one and life might get good?

I "shouldn't" be installed with all that much torque... famous last words...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #919
dmasliah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Brake Pad problem changing rear tire. F800gs 2009

So I started to put my rear tire back on after changing to a new TKC80.
I noticed that the inner brake pad had fallen out and was hanging by the pin. I could not get it back in, so I pulled the pin and replaced the brake pad. However , it fell out again when trying to replace the tire.
I noticed that the clip thingy that holds the pad in was bent. Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
So I took both pads out, put the tire back on, then replaced the pads. ( Clip is in) The brake disk now keeps the pads in place, and Everything Seems to work OK.
Do I need to replace that clip thingy now, or can I wait till I change the tire again?
Thanks, Dan
dmasliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #920
peripateo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Well, after 190 miles and one week of ownership, I've already dropped her. I was doing some slow-speed practice up on the pegs in some rough grass and while attempting a small radius turn, she decided to take a break and laid down. Thankfully, the Touratech upper and lower crash bars did their job!

But, hey, it's a GS. I suppose you'll drop it eventually if you're riding it the way they are made for. Amirite?
peripateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #921
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by peripateo View Post
But, hey, it's a GS. I suppose you'll drop it eventually if you're riding it the way they are made for. Amirite?
If it makes you feel any better, I dropped mine at the end of the ride coming home from the dealer after I picked up the bike. Literally 15 miles on it!! My foot slipped off the center stand as I was lifting it up, and over it went. My wife ran and hid because she thought I was going to freak out. But yeah, it's going to happen sooner or later, might as well get it over with quickly.
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #922
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Anybody know of some cheap aftermarket bars that fit the 650 twin? Or does anybody have some stock F8 bar mounts they want to get rid of?

Wife took a spill or 2 this weekend, and her bars are looking like they belong in a Dr. Sues book.....

Ryan
Old 09-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #923
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmasliah View Post
So I started to put my rear tire back on after changing to a new TKC80.
I noticed that the inner brake pad had fallen out and was hanging by the pin. I could not get it back in, so I pulled the pin and replaced the brake pad. However , it fell out again when trying to replace the tire.
I noticed that the clip thingy that holds the pad in was bent.
So I took both pads out, put the tire back on, then replaced the pads. ( Clip is in) The brake disk now keeps the pads in place, and Everything Seems to work OK.
Do I need to replace that clip thingy now, or can I wait till I change the tire again?
Thanks, Dan
I would just wait until you have it apart again. It just holds the pads in place while the rotor is out.

Ryan
Old 09-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #924
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TooMany View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I dropped mine at the end of the ride coming home from the dealer after I picked up the bike. Literally 15 miles on it!! My foot slipped off the center stand as I was lifting it up, and over it went. My wife ran and hid because she thought I was going to freak out. But yeah, it's going to happen sooner or later, might as well get it over with quickly.

Thats why Im a proponent of having the crash bars installed at the dealer!!!

Ryan
Old 09-11-2012, 03:27 AM   #925
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TooMany View Post
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:34 AM   #926
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzr0 View Post
Anybody know of some cheap aftermarket bars that fit the 650 twin? Or does anybody have some stock F8 bar mounts they want to get rid of?

Wife took a spill or 2 this weekend, and her bars are looking like they belong in a Dr. Sues book.....

Ryan
I bought these for my f8gs when my bars absorbed too much energy. Don't know if there's difference with 658 so will guess not and prolly wrong.

Here's the thread but pics all deleted by Apple.

If you have bmw oem hand guards you will need to set a helicoil for threaded insert and tap for hand control mounts.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:09 AM   #927
PA Slammer
I hate titles...

Oddometer: 871
Quote:

Ryan
When I bought my F800GS a few years ago as a demo with 3000 miles on it, the bars were a little torqued, higher on one side than the other. Before I purchased it I asked that they be replaced. They ordered the bars and had them shipped to me. While I waited for them to be delivered, I started to look and see what I would have to do to replace them. I then noticed and subsequently researched that the bars have a bit of play in them at the mount to allow for adjustment. After loosening the bolts, adjusting bars and retightening them, they were perfect. I can't believe the dealer didn't know or try this as it was the owners daily commuter.

So long story short, I have a new pair of bars without a scratch on them. I have the receipt as well somewhere. I tried selling them once, but unless you need them, nobody wants to buy them.

I believe I priced them for $225, but I'll have to check. Whatever I priced them for, it was less than what they were new. PM me and we'll work something out. I'm 30 minutes south of Pittsburgh if we're anywhere close. As well I'm planning a ride to visit (set tires in) all 37 states south and west of PA in Oct. So if you want to wait and meet up somewhere that may work. Or we'll just look at shipping costs.

PA Slammer
PA Slammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #928
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Thats why Im a proponent of having the crash bars installed at the dealer!!!

Ryan
I was going to, but I don't like the BMW crash bars. I put SW-MOTECH crash bars on it 3 days later.
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #929
vanbc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
If the hex is just rounded off I'll bet you can buy a new bleeder screw,
put a pair of vice-grip pliers (or maybe a 6-point socket could be pounded on)
on the old bleeder and get it out of there.

Install the new one and life might get good?
I ordered speedbleeders but have yet to install them. just a thought if the OP does replace them.
vanbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #930
vanbc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
How to increase power?

I've outgrown the twin F650 GS.
What mods can I get done to the bike vs. getting a bigger bike?
She is okay for around town but on the open highway I'd like something that isn't maxing out.
sprockets? can the chip be upgraded?
thank you.
vanbc is offline   Reply With Quote