Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #31
DrRock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Seems like a waste of money to take perfectly good panniers off a bike? Use them, wreck them and then buy a new set.

I bought a used set of Caribou and a SW moto rack off a fellow ADV Rider...they worked great on my F800GS. I would buy these again in a heartbeat.
DrRock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #32
Fast103 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRock View Post
Seems like a waste of money to take perfectly good panniers off a bike? Use them, wreck them and then buy a new set.

I bought a used set of Caribou and a SW moto rack off a fellow ADV Rider...they worked great on my F800GS. I would buy these again in a heartbeat.
Not really. I sold my Vario panniers and brackets for $850.00 ...the Touratech with all hardware cost 750 euro or $937.50.. Not a waste of money...jut getting a product more suited to what I want to do.
Fast103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:36 AM   #33
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast103 View Post
Not really. I sold my Vario panniers and brackets for $850.00 ...the Touratech with all hardware cost 750 euro or $937.50.. Not a waste of money...jut getting a product more suited to what I want to do.
Share the same pov. And it's great that you got so much money out of it.

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #34
DrRock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Fair enough...
DrRock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #35
Fast103 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRock View Post
Fair enough...
If you are ever close to Niedereschach, Germany do try to go into Touratech. It is awesome. It is like being a kid in a candy store! :)
Fast103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #36
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
If you are ever close to Niedereschach, Germany do try to go into Touratech. It is awesome. It is like being a kid in a candy store! :)
Or try the Touratech store in Aachen. Smaller but you have like 6 floors filled with BMW and you have a bar and a restaurant in it

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #37
Supersal
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Vario Panniers

I love that I can put my full face helmet in the Vario case,lock it and leave it! That really is the only reason I'm keeping mine! My biggest complaint is that when you open the lid, all of your stuff falls out! The expandable feature is nice but they are starting to stick when I expand them.
Supersal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:37 PM   #38
Captain Excellent
+ll+

Oddometer: 105
BMW Vario Panniers

Had a pair of Varios on the WABDR last September. We hit snow on the 2nd day. Can't remember which of the many falls it was, but eventually the bolt holding the mushroom nut bent. Had to scrounge an auto parts store for a replacement so I could get home.
I anticipated problems with the cases off road, so I zap strapped the cases onto the bottom bar with heavy duty straps. Those broke on the first fall. (BTW, due to the snow, all the falls were slow speed).
The gearing broke on both cases, so they were askew. Spent a night in Ellensburg at a hotel disassembling, re-aligning and reassembling the cases. It's easy after you've done it once or twice.
Made it home OK, but ever since the cases have been sitting on my workshop floor waiting for me to order the DIY fix-it parts. One day.
Went on a 3 000 km trip to Death Valley this spring with a fully loaded bike, Touratech Zega Pro cases, and a pile of s$&# on the rear deck. At least 70lbs + bags. I'm 200 lbs with gear. Only time the bike was short of power was trying to keep up with the 1200 GSA at 100 mph on the highway. Other than that, didn't notice any shortage of power, but who needs to do 100 mph anyway? Sucks on fuel mileage.
So Touratech Zega Pro cases were great, except on the single track window on that rough 4x4 road with the boulder that slid down from the steep bank on the left. The perfect line was right beside the rock. Forgot about my fat ass and smacked (I mean really SMACKED) the left case. Just about ejected me off the far side of the road and down the mountain side. Lid blew off and it was a yard sale all over the road. I managed to keep her up though and the mangled car us of a box managed to stay in place.
Went through Touratech in Seattle on the way home. The guy said he'd rarely seen one that banged up. Even the lid was twisted and the two locks / clasps were bent to s#%t. $400 for a replacement. That was an expensive reminder about my girl's girth.
I live in the city and ride almost daily. I don't ride with the side cases except on trips, but I do have a Givi top case that will hold TWO full face helmets. Much easier to find slot parking spots without the side cases. Top case hasn't been on an off road trip yet, and probably never will be. BTW, unlike the Vario case mounts, the proper case mounts protect the rear plastics in the event of an unexpected get-off.
So, South America trip, eh? (We are Canadian after all). I'd say the Touratech / hard case option is the way to go. Soft bags are too easy to knife off and there goes everything. You won't likely be riding any single track, but watch the lane splitting. You may bump them one or twice and then you'll remember just how wide you are.
Have fun and send pics.

Captain Excellent screwed with this post 05-20-2014 at 09:23 PM
Captain Excellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:33 PM   #39
Captain Excellent
+ll+

Oddometer: 105
Quote:

By the way I have lifetime passes with Air Canada

BTW, you sound like a room mate of mine in university. His dad was an AC pilot and he got that deal too. He was gone one Saturday and didn't get home till late that night. I asked him what he was up to. Said he'd just been to Hong Kong to pick up a camera for a friend.
Some people...
Old 05-21-2014, 04:13 AM   #40
jimmycoin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I can't speak for the varios's because I do not have them. I can give a good review for the Pelican Cases. I bought my system from Caribou Cases.

http://cariboucases.com

These cases come from Pelican or their sub company Storm. They come with pelicans standard lifetime warranty against damage. Thats right, if you wreck and destroy the case, pelican will replace it. It is not just a manufacture defect warranty. They also cover damage to the case itself. They are waterproof just like any other case. I like the look of the aluminum ones but was worried about going down and denting or poking a whole in the case. Plus, they are expensive to replace. I went down a about 2 months ago on one side and it bent the lock on the left case. I ordered a $25 locking mechanism from caribou and replaced it. Good as new. This is just my 2cents.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:32 AM   #41
Bumbobee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I have the 2 vario side cases but haven't taken a trip with them yet.

2 questions.

Are they water proof?

And there seems to be a rubber pad/plug missing from the bottom of one, anywhere I can get a replacement? There's a tiny hole now in the case.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:43 AM   #42
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbobee View Post
I have the 2 vario side cases but haven't taken a trip with them yet.

2 questions.

Are they water proof?

And there seems to be a rubber pad/plug missing from the bottom of one, anywhere I can get a replacement? There's a tiny hole now in the case.
NO, you need case liners or garbage bags. They'll handle a light rain but if they're forced closed then the seal doesn't touch. They get worse with use.

Rubber bumpers will be lost across the country. I'm sure ours have F'd up many a Hotel Maid's vacuum cleaner. If you're a poser then get'em at the Dealer. If you're a traveller, remove them and cover the holes with electrical tape. If you're an anal type, engineer up some fix. There's a thread in the boxer section somewhere as they tend to be the latter types.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #43
Bumbobee
Gnarly Adventurer

That's terrible they aren't even waterproof. I had a bike before with no bags or cases and always looked at bikes with hard luggage thinking they don't have to worry about their stuff getting wet, just lock and forget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
NO, you need case liners or garbage bags. They'll handle a light rain but if they're forced closed then the seal doesn't touch. They get worse with use.

Rubber bumpers will be lost across the country. I'm sure ours have F'd up many a Hotel Maid's vacuum cleaner. If you're a poser then get'em at the Dealer. If you're a traveller, remove them and cover the holes with electrical tape. If you're an anal type, engineer up some fix. There's a thread in the boxer section somewhere as they tend to be the latter types.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:45 AM   #44
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,040
They're water RESISTANT. Fine for awhile then get worse. I have the OEM Aluminums and in the heavy rain last year in Colorado I drilled a drain hole in one side.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:56 AM   #45
Bumbobee
Gnarly Adventurer

Lol drill a hole, must of been quite the shower ;)

What part of the GTA you from dude? Mississauga here.