User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
haileypooch OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Sluggish Starting

Noticed recently when I hit the starter it seems to sluggisly crank over once then fire up. I am not exactly an electrical/mechanical genius so before I started noodling around thought to throw it out there and see if someone can direct me. I expect testing the battery is one place to start, bike is an 09 with the original battery, but would love to solve this beofre having total failure somewhere out in the middle of somewhere. Thanks in advance
Old 09-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,254
like you say, I'd see if the battery is still fresh enough or if you have to charge it. did you do a longer ride recently? I mean like 2 hours of riding, then shutting it off and trying to start it again? If you have no more noise it could be because you're battery is charged again (or enough to start it again).
Or another question, did it idle a lot recently?
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
haileypooch OP
Adventurer

I rode about 600km this weekend and was sluggish last couple of days when starting. I did just flip it over, it did start, then shut it off and now tried again and it didnt want to crank. Must be the battery, I will borrow a charger and retest it.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,884
09 with the original battery says you need a new one
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
haileypooch OP
Adventurer

Yeah, I reckon. Any suggestions on what to look for?
Old 09-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,490
Your first stop is to check the connections at the battery - are they tight and clean? Assuming those are good, make sure the ground connection at the motor/frame and positive cables connections to the starter relay and starter are also tight and clean. When you've determined those aren't the problem, fully charge the battery with an external charger and bring it to an auto parts store (or buy/borrow a load tester) to be checked on a resistive load. A voltage test alone won't indicate the health of a battery - you could have a 'bad' cell with near zero capacity that shows the proper voltage - you've got to discharge it somehow, and the safest way to do so is through a large resistor.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,254
My father got his battery for 4 years in his 1150R and it's still working. You just need to take care of it

Anyway here is a good thread where some discussions about batterys took place:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770364
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:08 AM   #8
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,128
FWIW, given the somewhat spotty reputation of the Exide Battery I replaced mine after 3.5 years service.
I just didn't want to take a chance. The thread above is a good one, and details the hi-tech options.
I went with the "regular-tech" DEKA battery that Joel and others recommend - made in USA.

I got mine from these folks, they are very easy to deal with, family run outfit with good sales volume, so nothing sits on the shelf very long: http://www.etx14.com -- $73 bucks including shipping within USA.

(I have no affiliation with them other than being happy customer )
JRWooden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
haileypooch OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the great advice all. I ended up heading to our local specialty battery shop in Vancouver and they suggest simply replace it. After 4 years it is time and I do not want to try bump starting my ride out in the toolees on loose gravel roads once it reall shats the bed. $70 later the thing fires up beautifully, done.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #10
murpies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by haileypooch View Post
Noticed recently when I hit the starter it seems to sluggisly crank over once then fire up. I am not exactly an electrical/mechanical genius so before I started noodling around thought to throw it out there and see if someone can direct me. I expect testing the battery is one place to start, bike is an 09 with the original battery, but would love to solve this beofre having total failure somewhere out in the middle of somewhere. Thanks in advance
I'm expirencing tat problem too, check the battery when it idiling (14.5V) and ignition on (12.8V). both looks ok. but leave it overnight and it will sluggisly crank over then fire up. i will try checking the starter relay and the contact point to see any loss point.
murpies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #11
haileypooch OP
Adventurer

Again, I really know nothing about these things, but I am guessing once the battery shats the bed, It wont hold a charge for very long, hence the sluggish start in the am, rather than spend a bunch of time trying to figure out the short comings of a 5 year old battery, I simply dropped the 70 bucks and problem solved, and hopefully wont get stalled out in the sticks for the next little while.