Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #16
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
looks great, can't wait to see the finished bike.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #17
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBrett View Post
Ask . . and you shall recieve!
I am the "poor sucker" that bought the P.O.S. and fortunately it is our job to bring this old junk back to life on a regular basis, sure, the bike was rough and a little pricey but a bike in that condition doesn't faze us at all . . . after all, we are deemed to be the "Best Triple Restorers in the World" - Whilst I would love to stop by here daily I am afraid that I just don't have the time, however, I will try and stop by weekly to update you.
Before you ask the costings, I would tell you that I have a passion for these machines and unfortunately the passion often exceeeds the profit - But I will try and keep you up to date.
Collecting from St Louis, ship to Michigan,Landed in England with all taxes and duties paid I have $5,200 into the bike.
We started on the bike 2 weeks ago and I anticipate that it will be done in 2 Months time.

First stage was to get the bike to England - Not a problem as that is my regular job now (need a bike shipping?) - Next stage is to take a few piccies and strip the bike.

Stripping to this stage was around 12 hours
Frame is now painted, wheels are being done, bodywork all painted, lots of the Chrome done, Wiring loom tidied up.
Another 20 hours and almost $2,000 with the Chrome, Zinc and Paint(s). - $7,200 and 32 hours

There is hope , Ok to the n00b hey great bike, and we are glad you bought it so, tell us about your illness ( 2stroke) and share somethings about yourself , and get us some sammiches and injector oil

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:17 AM   #18
RickBrett
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocktower View Post
There is hope , Ok to the n00b hey great bike, and we are glad you bought it so, tell us about your illness ( 2stroke) and share somethings about yourself , and get us some sammiches and injector oil

http://www.classickawasaki.com/Magazine%20Features.htm
RickBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #19
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,302
Thanks RB for letting us know how the bike is doing. Keep on posting!

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #20
RickBrett
Adventurer

So, this week we have wheels and tyres, rechromed rims (to keep the date codes) new spokes, new Tyres total for wheel build around $660, New turn signals $180, re-chromed for legs, new seals, polish Etc $240, New master cylinder $120, rebuilt & Re-chromed Shocks $220, Sprocket & new brake shoes $80.

So, to date we have : Parts & Bike $8,600 Labour 54 Hours
Old 09-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #21
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,302
Wow, fantastic job! Guess I didn't read close enough, didn't realize your across the pond! No wonder this bike doesn't faze you, your used to much worse over there. I used to subscribe to Practical Classics and they are not scared of rotted out Bristols or Jags, etc.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown

vtwin screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 07:15 PM
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #22
pdxjim
Two Stroke Terror

Oddometer: 138
RB knows more about Kwak Triples than anyone else in the entire f$#king world.

It's true!
pdxjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:11 AM   #23
RickBrett
Adventurer

I thank you for your kind comments! I have to say though, that we are FAR more fortunate to have the "local" skills and abilities here to bring bikes back from the dead. I spend a LOT of time in the U.S. and realise that the quality and quantity of skilled craftsmen there are few and VERY far between, I have most of my major players within 10 miles of me and it has taken me 30 years at this to work out who is good and reliable, over there it's a days drive just to One guy to find out a Month later that he was not to the standard that you wanted.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #24
supervision
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
That makes me want to go out and wheelie down the street
supervision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #25
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,134
I had an h2 when i was a 17 yrs old.
Looking back, I cannot believe what I got away with.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #26
RickBrett
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamalama View Post
I had an h2 when i was a 17 yrs old.
Looking back, I cannot believe what I got away with.
I am in the same boat - INCREDIBLY stupid when I rode them (and survived) in my later teenage years . . . . and not a whole lot more sensible nowadays What REALLY shocks me is when I buy a "One Owner" H2 who tells me that they bought the bike at 16 years of age! How on Earth could they have survived . . . . But, I am glad they did!
Old 10-10-2012, 06:19 AM   #27
Edmond Dantès
The Kanto Pain

Oddometer: 590
Were the 750s ever banned from the UK roads, or is this just an urban myth circulated to enhance the bike's legend?
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #28
RickBrett
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Dantès View Post
Were the 750s ever banned from the UK roads, or is this just an urban myth circulated to enhance the bike's legend?
Briefly, the H2's were a rare and wild bike in the U.K. they only sold approx 113 Blue '72s, 30 Gold '73s, 150 Green/Brown H2b's and 150 Red/Purple H2c's over here back in the day, personally I couldn't afford a H2 until I was 19 ( I still have the same bike now) I had been riding on the road with the same insurance company since I was 16, when I bought the h2 they cancelled my policy and said they would insure any 750 But the H2! - I moved to another company so No, they were not banned as such . . . they just weren't encouraged
Old 10-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #29
Edmond Dantès
The Kanto Pain

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Briefly, the H2's were a rare and wild bike in the U.K. they only sold approx 113 Blue '72s, 30 Gold '73s, 150 Green/Brown H2b's and 150 Red/Purple H2c's over here back in the day, personally I couldn't afford a H2 until I was 19 ( I still have the same bike now) I had been riding on the road with the same insurance company since I was 16, when I bought the h2 they cancelled my policy and said they would insure any 750 But the H2! - I moved to another company so No, they were not banned as such . . . they just weren't encouraged
LOL! Awesome post. Thanks for busting that myth, and putting a smile on face!
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #30
RickBrett
Adventurer

WOW . . Another Month has flown by, brakes are all done, the motor is now being reassembled .:

So, what are we up to price wise ?
Well, Brakes were around $500, engine soda blasting, rebore, new crank, New Clutch, Polishing covers Etc Etc $3,000 Labour, another 50 hours - Tally so far, Purchase and Parts $12,100 and 104 hours labour