Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #31
jbar28
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Yes Yes !! When?

Dreemrider,

You don't mention when you will be in Germany. I assume after reading the response to your question that you are making the trip, right? Even if you can't make it to all the 'famous' passes this trip, do it anyway. The area is full of wonderful side roads that may not make the 'top ten list' but will be a great way to spend a week of biking. Plus it would be a great way to see some of the Alps and get your feet wet for a later trip to the Dolomites. You'd be wiser and more experienced when planning another trip and probably enjoy that one more as well.
jbar28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #32
dreemrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
-jbar28, Our trip is set and we are flying from Chicago to Munich on 9/7 and am staying in Kempten. I will probably just do some day rides and I may not leave Germany but may venture down into Austria if I get brave, just don't want to run afoul of the Vignette laws. This will be my first trip to Europe and when riding the bike I will be by myself and have never been to any foreign country except Canada. I'm not sure you can call that foreign! I have had a thread going on the "Layin down tracks" forum, trying to figure out how to use my Zumo 350LM and get it programmed before I leave but am not sure I will get it done. Guess I'd like to get back to the Hotel in Kempten to spend the evenigs with my wife....considering she's paying my way!! Really appreciate your encouragement and my plan is to pretty much follow your advice.

-Roadscum, I have rented the bike from Martin in Oy-Mittleberg but only have the bike from the 11th -13th. I just wanted to get a little taste of riding in the area.

-tt100, I went ahead and got the International Drivers Permit. I figure if I get pulled over I will want all of the advantages I can get. Really sorry I can't go a week later and ride with you guys! You've brought up a great question about the insurance, I'll check into that also and let me know what you find out. Until you said that, I guess I just assumed the bike would be insured. Martin has you put down a 1500Euro deposit through your credit card.

Thanks to you all and others I didn't specifically mention!
dreemrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #33
MurphCO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
If you can get the GPS going it will greatly improve the chances of seeing the things you want to see

I had paper maps and my iPhone with google maps and I couldn't find Switzerland, sounds stupid? Yup but man, the signage here just plain stinks without a turn by turn GPS helping out. I had a whole plan to get down to Stelvio in Italy then come back through Switzerland etc etc, but gave up about 3 hours into my ride and just decided Fuck It I'm just going to get lost and see what happens, that's when it turned into a whole lot of fun.

As for vignettes, no big deal, just stop at any service station as you cross a border and buy one, the one for Austria was 8 euro. Keep track of your fuel, and fuel up early as fuel stations aren't always easy to find, meaning they aren't always along the beaten path....but don't fear, there are a lot of other riders out and about all over the mountains and they all speak a little English minimum and are willing to help if need be

INSURANCE - ask what the deductible is, unfortunately I went down (first time ever) in a roundabout in Fussen and ended up having to pay 400+ euro for the damages to the bike, even though I got the insurance, I didn't know the deductible was 2,000 euro

Ask what the cash deposit is for the rental, men was 200 euro, and make sure you have the cash on you obviously...

Lastly, don't worry about getting lost or being afraid of going into Austria, everywhere I went, after getting into a town coming out of a pass Kempten was always on a sign as a direction to go, so staying there it will be real easy to find your way back even if you think you are lost....Switzerland? No clue, I don't think it exists...LOL
Old 08-29-2012, 03:19 AM   #34
Ali in Austria
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
10day motorcycle Vignette in Austria is €4,80.

It is €8,- for a car.
Ali in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:04 AM   #35
g®eg
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphCO View Post
If you can get the GPS going it will greatly improve the chances of seeing the things you want to see

I had paper maps and my iPhone with google maps and I couldn't find Switzerland, sounds stupid? Yup but man, the signage here just plain stinks without a turn by turn GPS helping out.
totally disagree.... signage there makes way more sense than the US (in my opinion anyway). I think since you were in Germany it was a cunning Swiss plot to keep the Germans out.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g®eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #36
dreemrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
tt100....Sent you a PM

tt100--see the PM I've sent you.
dreemrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:29 AM   #37
tt100
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Read and replied

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
tt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #38
tt100
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
jbar28 just emailed you some great info on the area near Kempton.... Make sure to fill us in on your ride and sorry we aren't going to meet up.

Viel Vergnügen!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
tt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #39
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreemrider View Post
-tt100, I went ahead and got the International Drivers Permit
Good move - it is required in Italy & Austria (see their Embassy web sites).

That being said, nobody has ever asked me for mine - cheap insurance, though, on the off chance...
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #40
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphCO View Post
I had a whole plan to get down to Stelvio in Italy then come back through Switzerland etc etc, but gave up about 3 hours into my ride and just decided Fuck It I'm just going to get lost and see what happens, that's when it turned into a whole lot of fun.
+1

I use my GPS primarily for recording my ride track for later viewing in Google Earth (orange line), getting through cities (I pick a point on the other side and tell the GPS to fetch) and, occasionally, finding fuel when I wasn't paying enough attention to my fuel gauge

Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote