Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
biodieselandon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Trading G650GS for 2013 F800GS

Hey guys,

I am new to this site and somewhat new to the adventure bike world. I grew up on 2 stroke dirt bikes starting out on a DS80, then a CR80, a KX100, and straight from that to a Honda CR500 that I still ride (One of the most legendary bikes in my opinion). My first experience with a street motorcycle was riding my dad's KLR650 and from then on I couldn't see owning anything other than some sort of dual sport motorcycle. About 6 months ago I got my first motorcycle, a 2012 G650GS and since then I have put over 13,000 miles on it, sometimes spending 18 hours straight in the saddle and only stoping for fuel and some short breaks. I take it offroad occasionally, but I find myself wanting a more dirt oriented bike. Something with more power, spoke wheels, better suspension, better brakes, more ground clearance, more aftermarket support, and of course more comfortable for standing.

I love my 650, and it has been such an amazing machine. Now my BMW dealer here in Spokane has 2013 F800GS models and they offered me a very good trade in offer so I am seriously considering it. One of them has the electronic suspension and traction control, and the other does not. The price difference is only $600 dollars so it seems worth it right? My question is, would there be any reason to go with the model that does not has ESA? One of the things I am considering is ease of rear suspension upgrades such as an Ohlins shock. I can't see any reason to not go with the traction control, considering the fact that it will be turned off just about any time I take it offroad.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I take my next big step into the world of Adventure Bikes.

Thanks,
-Landon
"A clean GS is a dirty shame."
biodieselandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
OrcasKen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Welcome, I'm on the wet side of the state. Here's an argument for and against:
  • FOR: Safety on the road
  • AGAINST: Need to manually turn it off each time you go off road (at least on my 2010), initial extra cost, something else to break/fix down the road
I'm happy I have it on my 800 and would get it again, FWIW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biodieselandon View Post
Hey guys,

I am new to this site and somewhat new to the adventure bike world. I grew up on 2 stroke dirt bikes starting out on a DS80, then a CR80, a KX100, and straight from that to a Honda CR500 that I still ride (One of the most legendary bikes in my opinion). My first experience with a street motorcycle was riding my dad's KLR650 and from then on I couldn't see owning anything other than some sort of dual sport motorcycle. About 6 months ago I got my first motorcycle, a 2012 G650GS and since then I have put over 13,000 miles on it, sometimes spending 18 hours straight in the saddle and only stoping for fuel and some short breaks. I take it offroad occasionally, but I find myself wanting a more dirt oriented bike. Something with more power, spoke wheels, better suspension, better brakes, more ground clearance, more aftermarket support, and of course more comfortable for standing.

I love my 650, and it has been such an amazing machine. Now my BMW dealer here in Spokane has 2013 F800GS models and they offered me a very good trade in offer so I am seriously considering it. One of them has the electronic suspension and traction control, and the other does not. The price difference is only $600 dollars so it seems worth it right? My question is, would there be any reason to go with the model that does not has ESA? One of the things I am considering is ease of rear suspension upgrades such as an Ohlins shock. I can't see any reason to not go with the traction control, considering the fact that it will be turned off just about any time I take it offroad.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I take my next big step into the world of Adventure Bikes.

Thanks,
-Landon
OrcasKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Go for all the bells and whistles. You'll regret it at some point later on if you don't. Yeah, I read that one guy had a problem with the traction control, and because it was too new the dealer was having problems troubleshooting it, but those type of problems are going to be infrequent (not impossible, just not common).

Buy once, cry once. You'll forget the money soon enough as you're enjoying the bike.
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
biodieselandon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Thanks for the advice. I am losing sleep over this bike since I have to wait until the end of the month to get it. I will post pictures when I bring it home.
"A clean GS is a dirty shame."
biodieselandon is offline   Reply With Quote