Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #31
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
I was so hoping this would be the bike that everyone, well me at least , was waiting for. A fix to the BMW G650X shortcomings at a reasonable price.. well they got some of it right I guess. Still dissapointed in the front suspension, but the weight is just a killer... over 400lbs... still waiting for someone to get it right. Of course maybe the bike I want simply cant be built.. I guess the tradeoff for the weight is the steel frame that should make luggage options easy.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #32
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 623
Terra Off-Pavement Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsGdu...e_gdata_player

modeselector screwed with this post 09-13-2012 at 09:55 AM
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #33
modeselector
Common as muck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
I guess the tradeoff for the weight is the steel frame that should make luggage options easy.
That's it.

I think there are a few people having a difficult time understanding what segment this bike fits. Obviously, this is not the typical Husky single-track bike. But it checks the boxes of many touring DS riders I think.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #34
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,733
Specs list it as having a 6 speed trans, thats good. The forks look like non adjustable, thats bad.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #35
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeselector View Post
Good looking, very quiet. I could see this as a very viable RTW machine. Rotax reliability, ample HP, great fuel economy & superior suspension to most other offerings in this class.

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #36
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeselector View Post
If that's a promo video, I guess they are trying to compete with the Triumph Scrambler crowd; it seemed the ideal terrain for a Scrambler.
(Admittedly, I had to ff through some of the video because it was so boring.)
Old 09-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #37
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayron View Post
If that's a promo video, I guess they are trying to compete with the Triumph Scrambler crowd; it seemed the ideal terrain for a Scrambler.
certainly didnt see anything that would have slowed down my R1200GSA either
Old 09-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #38
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayron View Post
The way the bike is being ridden in the video is the way 90% of DR650`s, KLR650`s and most other mid sized bikes are being rode by the vast majority of riders on this site.
Seems like a perfectly fine adventure touring bike to me. Add panniers and off you go!
I need to get my hands on one asap to get started on a seat. I think they will sell allot of these.

Bundy

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #39
modeselector
Common as muck

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Specs list it as having a 6 speed trans, thats good. The forks look like non adjustable, thats bad.
I doubt it would be a 6-speed since the beginning of time this motor has always been a 5.

You really expect adjustable forks from BMW? Reality is, most guys from the F6/F8 crowd get the suspension set up for them and never touch the clickers.

modeselector screwed with this post 09-13-2012 at 01:29 PM
Old 09-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #40
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,733
All I know is what I read on the Husqvarna spec sheet. I know about the BMW suspension as I have a F800gs. But the forks are Sachs, not Marzocchi. Hopefully Huskey did not decide the crimp the cartridge tubes. It would certainly make it cheaper to fix.

Lots of things that I wish were different, but I am tired of waiting for a 400lb multi Adventure bike. Maybe this is good enough with the typical $2,000 thrown at it.

You need to do the same with the BMW's anyway.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #41
modeselector
Common as muck

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
All I know is what I read on the Husqvarna spec sheet. I know about the BMW suspension as I have a F800gs. I am tired of waiting for a 400lb multi Adventure bike. Maybe this is good enough with the typical $2,000 thrown at it.
I have an F800GS too-done the front/rear suspension and then some-sounds like we are both looking at this bike for the same reason.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #42
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 351
I like it, but still can't understand why the thing is heavier than my 1990 Dr650 by more than 50lbs?
Old 09-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #43
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 957
Ktm 690

If you want a sub 400 lbs thumper dual sport bike then...it is here KTM 690

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #44
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
A KTM 690E is fine as a dual sport, but it is not a ADV bike stock. It takes another $3k to get there with today's KTM aftermarket. Search other threads - its all there. But the total cost is way out of my price range. KTM blew it - a 690 motor in the old 640 ADV frame and they were done. But they just couldn't resist moving it toward the Enduro race bike end of the spectrum. That is, after all, what KTM does.

A DR-650 is air/oil cooled and is minimalist (1996) technology. Dead reliable; nothing fancy.

The new bikes are water cooled, with stronger alternators, FI which requires larger batteries, wiring and computer(s), and some have larger (for a passenger) subframes, etc. It all adds up to a 25-50 lbs. increase from a DR650.

The next question is where that weight is carried: higher or lower. Lower is always better, but each design has its limits. I'll wait for the first reviews before I get excited. So far, this is too close to a Serao/Dakar and too far from a TE630 for me, but I'm willing to be convinced. For me, a 6-speed (wide ratio) transmission is mandatory on a bike this heavy. I hope the specs are right or it is dead on arrival for me.

I think a 400 lbs. multi ADV bike is a dream, but a great design target. I'd settle for a 465 lbs. wet XT900Z, but am not holding my breath - hence my interest here.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #45
modeselector
Common as muck

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
If you want a sub 400 lbs thumper dual sport bike then...it is here KTM 690
The 690 is a great bike - but also over $10 grand.